Author Topic: JohnZ --  (Read 10722 times)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
JohnZ's contributions to the hobby
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 07:43:45 PM »
John contributed a lot to the hobby. He started in the Corvette world and was inducted into the Corvette Hall of Fame as a historian - I think the first inductee in that category.
Thankfully John also connected up with the Camaro world. One of first things he wrote for us was possibly his magnum opus for the Camaro world (and applicable to all the GM carlines), The Camaro Assembly Process. He also wrote five other Research Reports and numerous Tech Articles --  JohnZ articles.
But it was the advice and facts that he provided on the forums and via email that helped and was appreciated by so many.
I was lucky to live in the same area and see John semi-regularly. He was a great guy to talk with and learn from. Too bad the bantering back and forth between him and Scott Settlemire at a Superfest show wasn't recorded for posterity - John telling plant stories and Scott telling the dealer/sales stories.
John is missed. He was a good friend.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:23:18 PM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: JohnZ --
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 07:51:14 PM »
John was an icon - and I don’t use that word lightly. I will always appreciate his knowledge and willingness to help others.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
I did not know John but have read many of his articles. My condolences to his family. I think he would be proud of the things he left us and to those on this forum that continue to do the same as he did.
Joe
69 Camaro

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: JohnZ's contributions to the hobby
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 08:12:26 PM »
John's 2009 INDUCTION to the Corvette Hall of Fame.

Ed

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 11:10:01 PM »
Everyone has echo’d my thoughts on John.  He was always super nice and willing to answer any and all my questions..  Thoughts and prayers to his family and give them peace of mind he is in a far better place where pain and suffering will no longer burden him..

Red955i

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 11:32:43 PM »
Very sad. I knew his health was deteriorating. Like many, I have spent countless hours reading and learning from his technical articles and posts. His name and legacy in this hobby will go on for many years as new Camaro and Corvette owners read and learn from the wealth of knowledge he was so willing to share. My condolences to his family and a huge thank you for sharing him with us!

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 11:58:24 PM »
We are all so lucky to have him around sharing his wealth of knowledge of the Assembly process.
Just a great guy for the hobby. So sad to hear this. May he Rest in Peace.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 02:17:14 AM »
Very sorry to hear of John's passing. Sincere condolences for his family.

His work and ardent passion for the hobby will be a forever lasting legacy.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 02:46:24 AM »
John was a tremendous member of our community and will be sorely missed.

Our prayers are with his family.  Rest In Peace.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 03:20:05 AM »
John was helping me with a project much of this year and had told me he was in hospice. After many emails and always answering within a day or two I asked him if he had a sweet tooth or anything I might be able to send. He wrote back he'd love a couple packages of Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes and wrote "yummy." I ended up sending him a large package of cupcakes in two consecutive weeks and after the 2nd shipment arrived he thanked me but not to send anymore as the center did not allow food being sent in like that due to ants, etc. I hoped it gave him a smile or two!
Hard to imagine the countless people he assisted over the years and his contributions to the hobby.
RIP John Hinckley
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: JohnZ's contributions to the hobby
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2021, 10:29:26 AM »
From his obituary. Please remove if not appropriate.

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/21491532/John-P-Hinckley/Romeo/Michigan/Henry-M-Malburg-Funeral-Home

After earning a BSME from Michigan State University and spending three years as an Officer in Army Aviation, John Hinckley started with Chevrolet at the Willow Run Assembly Plant as a Production Foreman in 1964, building the Chevy II and Corvair, and moved on in 1966 to the Chevrolet Pilot Line in Flint as Senior Process Engineer-Passenger Cars. During 1966-1968, he was assigned to the Corvette Group at Chevrolet Engineering in Warren as Manufacturing Liason Engineer, responsible for future Corvette assembly processing, and spent a great deal of time at all Chevrolet assembly plants, including build out of the ’67 and launch of the ’68 at St. Louis-Corvette. 

Later assignments during 1969-1975 included planning and execution of the conversion of the Lordstown assembly plant from Caprice/Firebird profuction to the Vega, managing the Vega launch, General Foreman and later Superintendant of Chassis and Final Assembly Production at Lordstown and the lunch of the Cosworth-Vega, followed by ten years from 1975-1985 at GM Assembly Division Production Engineering Project Manager for the 1980 “X” Car program and as Engineer-in-Charge of Advance production Planning and Tooling for all new GM Project Center programs. 

John was recruited out of GM by Chrysler in 1985 as Manufacturing Manager, Project Liberty, then Chief Engineer-Advance Process Development, then Director of Advance Manufacturing Engineering for Large and Small Car Platforms, and spent the last five years of his 37-year career as Plant Manager of the Viper/Prowler Assembly Plant in Detroit before retiring in March, 2001. He spent his entire career focused on production engineering, assembly plant operations, processed, tooling and facilities. 

John is a former Chairman of the NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) Michigan Chapter (2001-2006), is a veteran Bloomington Gold Certification Judge and Corvette Restoration Workshop Instructor, a Core Member of the Camaro Research Group (www.camaros.org), and is a member of the Solid Axle Corvette Club, the Eastern Michigan Camaro Club, and the Society of Automotive Engineers. John has written numerous technical articles for internal GM and Chrysler publications, many SAE presentations, OEM automotive trade journal articles, many technical articles published in the NCRS “Corvette Restorer” magazine, and was named Vintage Technical Editor of the nationally-renowned “Corvette Enthusiast” magazine in 2003, which has published over 110 of his Corvette technical articles and columns.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2021, 12:04:37 PM »
John was a great guy and an absolutely huge asset to the hobby.  He will certainly be missed.  My condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.
Jon Mello
CRG

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2021, 05:57:38 PM »
Very sad to hear! Chick, the Hostess Cupcakes was a nice gesture, I guess us NCRS and first gen gen guy's are old enough to know what they even are!

DONCZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 01:41:52 AM »
A true Legend !

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 06:13:52 AM »
Really sad to hear this news. Never met or personally knew him but, I sure have used the endless info that he has provided to all of us. And that took time from his family to do so. I pray for his family and close friends. We are all going to miss him, but rightfully, his legacy will live on for many many years ahead. GOD Speed John.

anything