Author Topic: 67 RS/SS convertible - back in the game.  (Read 10230 times)

CantRepeat

• View Profile
67 RS/SS convertible - back in the game.
« on: February 21, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »
Like many others, I had my first Camaro back in the early 80s and abused the hell out of it. It was a 67 SS 4spd car that I just raced to death. I sold it 35 years ago when I joined the Army move out of SoCal.

I've been searching for about 2 years now and finally made a purchase.

It's a 2 owner car last sold in 86 I believe. Second owner does not seem to have any other documentation for it.

I've read a few post on this site that there may be a broadcast sheet tape to the top of the fuel tank(LOS car). I haven't had the opportunity to look yet.

VIN - 124677L120633  - someone posted something about a DB of VINs, does this happen to be in it?

With help from this site I've got this.

11B - Nov 2nd week

12667 - Convertible, custom interior

LOS - Van Nuys, California (suburb of Los Angeles)
797Z - Parchment custom buckets

C - Ermine White
1 - White Top

D - power convertible top
E - all tinted windows
L - fold-down rear seat
X - power windows

E - air conditioning
G - center console
M - Powerglide transmission (LOS - TH400 it is thought) I don't think it's a TH400
R - rear seat speaker

L - RPO Z22, Rally Sport Equipment
S - RPO Z23 option, interior decor

4P - correct code for SS 350

-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: 67 RS/SS convertible - back in the game.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »
Welcome Back!
Looks great, the Sheet on the top of a Fuel tank tends (is) a 1969 Model year thing.

You ARE going to have fun with that rag top for sure.

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 07:05:38 PM »
Sounds like a lot of options. Cool. Only way it could be t400 is if it was a 396.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 11:03:17 PM »
Welcome CantRepeat! Great looking car and nicely optioned, congrats for picking it up. There are a couple things I notice that you may or may not know. It appears to have two options on the car that are not on the trim tag. It looks like it has a remote outside mirror as well as bumper guards. No big deal and I certainly would not remove them. It should also have black pinstripes running from the front fenders to the rear as part of the RS option. Very nice looking car and I'm sure you will enjoy it!

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 02:01:37 AM »
Yeah, if for sure is missing the stripes; kind of glad about that one. Even more glad it doesn't have the body side moldings.

It is missing the 4F and 5B. I'm not sure on the bumper guards but the car doesn't have a remote mirror. It actually looks like an aftermarket mirror to me. Has a little bowtie on it.

I did get a round about information about the first owner. Seems he died and the car was sold to the school teacher that I purchased it from. Was kind of hoping to get the PoP and window sticker but it doesn't look good at this point.
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:44:28 AM »
Air conditioned convertible with power window and power top.....nice colors....hard to beet that!!

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 03:19:13 AM »
 Very nice car.  If by body side moldings you mean the type that run from the back of the front fender, across the door, and stop at the dogleg in front of the rear wheel, those were a  common dealer installed, non GM item back in the day.  The mirror would not have had the bowtie, and it's too early for the console seat belt clips.  I'd consider getting the NCRS report to get the production date and dealer. The selling dealer could have added the guards, and it  was also common for owners to add items over time, ordering from the parts department or taking a trip to a salvage yard.

buenymayor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 09:43:40 AM »
Great looking car, Tim. Congratulations on the purchase!

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
Very nice car.  If by body side moldings you mean the type that run from the back of the front fender, across the door, and stop at the dogleg in front of the rear wheel, those were a  common dealer installed, non GM item back in the day.  The mirror would not have had the bowtie, and it's too early for the console seat belt clips.  I'd consider getting the NCRS report to get the production date and dealer. The selling dealer could have added the guards, and it  was also common for owners to add items over time, ordering from the parts department or taking a trip to a salvage yard.

I've order the report, thanks to a post on this website for the link and info. I'm fairly sure the car was sold at Good Chevrolet in Alameda Calif.

About the seat belt clips, you say it's too early 11B and should not have them. This brings up a question I'm still unclear on.

I understand normal calendar model year vs production calendar year. IE Jan to Dec vs Sept to July/Aug so in my cars case, 11B does that mean it was produced Nov 2nd week of 66 making it an early production car? With a serial number of 120633 out of some 220k produced it would have to be early in the production calendar.

Even though I've been a Camaro lover for 35+ years, I'm just starting to dig into all this information. I've been looking for a car for close to 2 years but just recently found CRG and all the wonderful data.

At 18 I wasn't too concerned about trim tags and options, other then an SS and 4 speed.

Like most, I sure wish I had my first one.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:01:18 PM by CantRepeat »
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 10:38:49 AM »
Air conditioned convertible with power window and power top.....nice colors....hard to beet that!!

Yeah, the kid in me really wanted a 4 speed car. But, when I saw the power windows, power top, factory AC and how clean of a survivor it was, I figured I could live with the automatic.  ;) 8)
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 12:34:29 PM »
Well I’m sure it wasn’t cheap!

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 02:00:58 PM »
Nothing personal but I like this car much better. Besides the hoodlum in the other picture looks like trouble.

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 03:57:10 PM »
Nothing personal but I like this car much better. Besides the hoodlum in the other picture looks like trouble.

No offense taken! :D

Where ever that guy went trouble always seemed to find him. Though, I heard he turned out ok. You just never know what direction life will take you.

TMI

-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 12:39:47 AM »
Tim,

Looking at that right jacket sleeve.....yeah, that kid turned out ok! Thank you for your service!

My bad on the mirror. It looks different to me in the first photo.

Yes, your car was built the 2nd week of Nov. 1966.

See this on mirrors:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=4959.0

See this on console clips:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2270.0

Lastly, tell us about your first car too.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 01:05:24 AM »
Amen to that, THANKS.

anything