Author Topic: 67 RS/SS convertible - back in the game.  (Read 10118 times)

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: 67 RS/SS convertible - back in the game.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 01:14:54 AM »
Wow great options and a killer color combo triple white is a desireable combo and not often seen.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 04:53:24 AM »
Tim, Great Pics Both. Vintage Youth & Service member: My Dad was E9 US Army (Korea era) & Reservist. Great Arm "Bling", & I am referring to your Stripes, Thank you for your service.
Tongue in Cheek  Go Navy, I am found of Both Branches.

Jim

Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 11:45:31 AM »
Tim,

Looking at that right jacket sleeve.....yeah, that kid turned out ok! Thank you for your service!

My bad on the mirror. It looks different to me in the first photo.

Yes, your car was built the 2nd week of Nov. 1966.

See this on mirrors:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=4959.0

See this on console clips:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2270.0

Lastly, tell us about your first car too.

So the bowtie mirrors stopped in 66. I know it's not likely, but with a Nov 66 build date maybe it was put on at the factory even though no known installs exist.

Yeah, the seat belt clips don't seem to fit build date. I actually kind of wish it didn't have them.

Ah the first Camaro. I bought it from a friend out in Lancaster CA in the summer of 83. My girlfriend at the time hated it because I spent more time with the car then her.

It was an SS 4 speed car when I bought it and lots of street racing in SoCal at the time. There was also a drag strip down in Terminal Island in Long Beach CA I went to a lot. That poor car got a lot of abuse. By the time I sold it, it was a pretty racing 350 with a big cam, lots of head work, tunnel ram with two carter 625s. It also had an automatic I put in after I grenaded the clutch at the track. It was a pretty violent destruction that broke an ear off the trans. The interior had been removed as well.

I didn't know what a cowl trim tag was back then so I couldn't tell you what it actually had as options. When I joined the Army in 86 I had no place to store it so I had to sell. I regretted that decision the minute it rolled up on the trailer. After 23 years 3 months and 18 days I retired and figured I'd get a Camaro so I spent time off and on looking for something but didn't get serious about it until a couple of years ago. Of course I was amazed that current by prices which made me regret selling  it all the more. Like many others I entertained the idea of finding it but without a VIN or old license plate that seemed far fetched.

Thank you so much for the links. There is so much information here and has proven extremely useful in my search.
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 08:16:11 PM »
I had seen the car you bought for sale at a Chevrolet dealership advertising it online a few months ago...one of the nicest optioned 67’s that I had ever seen.
Now that I look am looking over the pictures you posted I realize it’s the same car!

Paul

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »
Was owned by the general manager's aunt since 86. She's a school teacher which is probably why it's in such good shape. I can't believe it sat for 4 months without being sold.
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 09:32:20 PM »
It was waiting for you.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 12:39:29 AM »
Was there ever an factory option for a headliner in convertibles?
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 01:02:57 AM »
Not in a first gen.  Can't say for other makes like Cadillac.

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »
Tim,

Looking at that right jacket sleeve.....yeah, that kid turned out ok! Thank you for your service!

See this on mirrors:

So the bowtie mirrors stopped in 66. I know it's not likely, but with a Nov 66 build date maybe it was put on at the factory even though no known installs exist.

Yeah, the seat belt clips don't seem to fit build date. I actually kind of wish it didn't have them.

Ah the first Camaro. I bought it from a friend out in Lancaster CA in the summer of 83. My girlfriend at the time hated it because I spent more time with the car then her.

It was an SS 4 speed car when I bought it and lots of street racing in SoCal at the time. There was also a drag strip down in Terminal Island in Long Beach CA I went to a lot. That poor car got a lot of abuse. By the time I sold it, it was a pretty racing 350 with a big cam, lots of head work, tunnel ram with two carter 625s. It also had an automatic I put in after I grenaded the clutch at the track. It was a pretty violent destruction that broke an ear off the trans. The interior had been removed as well.

I didn't know what a cowl trim tag was back then so I couldn't tell you what it actually had as options. When I joined the Army in 86 I had no place to store it so I had to sell. I regretted that decision the minute it rolled up on the trailer. After 23 years 3 months and 18 days I retired and figured I'd get a Camaro so I spent time off and on looking for something but didn't get serious about it until a couple of years ago. Of course I was amazed that current by prices which made me regret selling  it all the more. Like many others I entertained the idea of finding it but without a VIN or old license plate that seemed far fetched.

Thank you so much for the links. There is so much information here and has proven extremely useful in my search.

Fantastic car!  Click on the following link to see photos of an early build 1967 Camaro RS convertible that was used in an official capacity during the Monterey Grand Prix held at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, California on October 16, 1966.  It has the bowtie mirror, so it is likely that some early builds did receive this type of mirror.  Maybe your is one of them.  Maybe only California produced Camaros??  There is even some member chatter about it.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16339.0
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 06:39:44 PM »
Tim,

See this on mirrors:

Fantastic car!  Click on the following link to see photos of an early build 1967 Camaro RS convertible that was used in an official capacity during the Monterey Grand Prix held at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, California on October 16, 1966.  It has the bowtie mirror, so it is likely that some early builds did receive this type of mirror.  Maybe your is one of them.  Maybe only California produced Camaros??  There is even some member chatter about it.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16339.0

That's awesome!! So there is some validity to early cars having bowtie mirrors. I really appreciate your post and the link!!
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 08:45:17 PM »
They likely would have used up any leftover 66 model year mirrors into early 67 models, if the Chevrolet logo was the only difference between the old and newer.  Possibly just on the LOS cars, since they were assembling full size models there as well.  However, hard to say for a specific car, unless a survivor or having old photos of it.         

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 02:36:54 AM »
CantRepeat - My friend's first car was a 1968 Z28 that he bought in 1970 and although he remembers the CA license plate, neither of us ever looked at the trim tag.  As for the photo of you in inform, I recognize that you were a 1st Sgt. as my dad held the same rank when he served in the US Army during WWII.  You have a very nice Camaro that was built at the Van Nuys Plant, where I once worked. - Mark

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2021, 04:25:46 AM »
I could be wrong as I am not near as knowledgeable about 67's as I am about 69's  -

But aren't there UOIT's/punch cards ? under the front carpet occasionally in 67's?
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2021, 03:49:05 PM »
I could be wrong as I am not near as knowledgeable about 67's as I am about 69's  -

But aren't there UOIT's/punch cards ? under the front carpet occasionally in 67's?
Hi James,
   I found the UOIT for my '67 04B LOS folded and taped  (1' wide black masking type of tape) to the hump by the shifter opening under the carpet. Inside it had the interior trim code tag and the LOS version of the PTB inspection punch tag ( that discussion can be found here:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=14547.msg128838#msg128838 ).
It had body color overspray on an edge so it looks to have been inside the body when it was sprayed.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2021, 06:08:26 PM »

Hi James,
  I found the UOIT for my '67 04B LOS folded and taped  (1' wide black masking type of tape) to the hump by the shifter opening under the carpet. Inside it had the interior trim code tag and the LOS version of the PTB inspection punch tag ( that discussion can be found here:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=14547.msg128838#msg128838 ).
It had body color overspray on an edge so it looks to have been inside the body when it was sprayed.

Mike

Be still my excited heart! I hope to find one as well!
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P