Author Topic: 67 RS/SS convertible - back in the game.  (Read 10115 times)

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: 67 RS/SS convertible - back in the game.
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2021, 10:22:40 PM »
I found these two Fisher Body inspection cards (front and back views) in my 11B LOS built about a week before yours.  I believe they were under the carpet or under the rear seat bottom.  Unfortunately, they are not for my car.  They must have been taking out the trash that day  :)

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2021, 11:18:17 PM »
I could be wrong as I am not near as knowledgeable about 67's as I am about 69's  -

But aren't there UOIT's/punch cards ? under the front carpet occasionally in 67's?
Hi James,
   I found the UOIT for my '67 04B LOS folded and taped  (1' wide black masking type of tape) to the hump by the shifter opening under the carpet. Inside it had the interior trim code tag and the LOS version of the PTB inspection punch tag ( that discussion can be found here:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=14547.msg128838#msg128838 ).
It had body color overspray on an edge so it looks to have been inside the body when it was sprayed.

Mike

Mine was in the headliner above the LH visor. It has black overspray; not body color.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2021, 11:23:35 PM »
Tim,

Did you receive your NCRS report yet?

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 12:26:38 AM »
Tim,

Did you receive your NCRS report yet?

I did. I was fully expecting to see Good Chevrolet in Alameda, near Napa CA. But that turned out not to be the case.

Order mine Feb 21st and it received it Mar 11th.

Dealer Code 483, zone 34.
Mel Smith Chevrolet Inc
San Luis Obispo, CA
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 10:42:13 PM »
Nice. Why did you think it may have come from another dealer? It certainly could have been involved in a dealer trade which could be the reason for something unexpected. What was your production date?

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2021, 12:13:20 AM »
Nice. Why did you think it may have come from another dealer? It certainly could have been involved in a dealer trade which could be the reason for something unexpected. What was your production date?

The school teacher that I bought it from owned it since 81 and lived in and around Napa CA her entire life. I was "told" she bought it from owner #1 who also live in the area. Then there was a license plate frame on the Camaro that has Good Chevrolet, Napa on it. There was a car show tee shirt in the trunk along with some programs from car show the car was entered in.

While the two cities are in the same state they do seem a ways away from each other. But I was just working off of assumptions and conjecture.

I've got a friend running a title search for me in California but I'm under the impression it will only go back 10 years.

The official production date was 25 Nov 1966.
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 12:43:20 AM »
Cool story on your cars ownership history. Hopefully the title search will give you some positive results. I definitely would not rule out a dealer trade from Mel Smith to Good. Might even have another dealer involved. Have you tried contacting the dealerships; if they are still around? So 11B is not the build week as your trim tag represents. I've read that November is a bit of an anomaly (for Van Nuys) in regards to production and reporting, so not surprising.

Let us know whatever else you find out. It might be surprising to you, but a lot of us find this kind of thing interesting.

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2021, 09:41:48 AM »
So is the 11B on the trim tag a Fisher date and the official production date a GM date?

Were the bodies assemble at a Fisher plant and shipped to Van Nuys or was all that done at the same plant?

Edit -

Fisher Body Division Plant, Van Nuys, Los Angeles, Opened 1947 with Plant Code #L, attached to Chevrolet Plant. Changed to GMAD in 1968 and was merged into the Assembly Plant.

So Fisher Body and GM Van Nuys were right next to each other. Odd that it would take a week for a car to travel that far.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:16:32 AM by CantRepeat »
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2021, 01:23:38 PM »
So is the 11B on the trim tag a Fisher date and the official production date a GM date?

Were the bodies assemble at a Fisher plant and shipped to Van Nuys or was all that done at the same plant?

Edit -
So Fisher Body and GM Van Nuys were right next to each other. Odd that it would take a week for a car to travel that far.

The cowl tag was 'stamped/embossed' and installed by Fisher using information provided from the  'order of the car' and the date is a 'projected/anticipated assembly week.   The actual production date is when the completed car clears the production line (and probably heads for a short term storage lot waiting for transport to a dealer).  Like any 'plan', sometimes the dates are consistent, but at other times things could happen to affect the 'plan'...

Can you clarify your question about 'a week to travel that far'??    How far?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2021, 02:42:01 PM »

Edit -

The cowl tag was 'stamped/embossed' and installed by Fisher using information provided from the  'order of the car' and the date is a 'projected/anticipated assembly week.   The actual production date is when the completed car clears the production line (and probably heads for a short term storage lot waiting for transport to a dealer).  Like any 'plan', sometimes the dates are consistent, but at other times things could happen to affect the 'plan'...

Can you clarify your question about 'a week to travel that far'??    How far?

That far was in reference to the distance from Fisher Body to GM assembly before I found out it was on the same lot and probably used an internal transport system. Clearly it didn't take a week to go from one building to the next.
-Tim
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2021, 02:45:39 PM »
OK..   you were apparently referring to the discrepancy between the trim tag 'week' and the actual production date?   A week is pretty close.. as the 'planned' date may have been projected 4-6 weeks earlier at the time of order!  :)   ie.  it's not a 'distance' issue...  :)

Generally when the Fisher Plant and the GM Assembly plant were on the same location, their buildings actually shared a 'wall', and a big door between them allowed the 'assembly line' to proceeed thru...  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2021, 04:21:39 PM »
The trim tag date is for Fisher Body's use. It does not have any fixed connection to a normal calendar.
Kurt S
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 12:33:46 AM »

Yes, 11B is the week of Nov (2nd week) that Fisher anticipated starting the body assembly. For whatever reason, whether it was bad information, delay, order volume or other issues, your car was started much later. My guess would be more like 11D. The production timeframe was about four days or seven shifts. That information is found in this excellent report by JohnZ; http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

As I understand it, the production date indicated on your NCRS letter should be the date that Chevrolet reported that final assembly was complete. The attached article link covers the entire process; I think it is a must read if you are at all interested in how the processes worked.