Author Topic: Is this the end of GM?  (Read 17074 times)

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: Is this the end of GM?
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2021, 09:33:23 PM »
I've always wondered about the availability of Lithium and other resources to make all these batteries, solar panels, windmills etc. that will be needed, and then the eventual disposal or recycling of them.  Hopefully someone is looking that far down the road. 

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2021, 03:47:04 AM »
I've always wondered about the availability of Lithium and other resources to make all these batteries, solar panels, windmills etc. that will be needed, and then the eventual disposal or recycling of them.  Hopefully someone is looking that far down the road. 

It will probably be smoke and mirrors mindset. Or hide and seek type of mentality. The components and manufacturing are toxic to the environment, and then there's the disposal (melted, burnt, buried). Like mentioned earlier, I am in no way any type of expert on this matter, but most of all reading and research that I have done leads me to the conclusion that it will in most part lead to more harm than is suggested by some. And then there is the aspect that if we go that route and lithium , cobalt and such reach a near non existent level then only the wealthy will have access to the only form of auto travel offered. Supply and demand has always been the driving force behind it all. MONEY!

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
I recently read an article that says if 66% of US vehicles were electric the US electricity generation would have to double and most likely would peak at night when solar does not work. I consider myself as "green" as most with 62 solar panels at my home but math is math. We have a long way to go unless one of us invents a new battery or new power generator. I wouldn,t ditch your gas cars too soon.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2021, 08:53:02 PM »
The 'powers that be' aka big oil companies wont let this happen, even 'IF' electric only was proposed by the politicians. I also believe as it has been mentioned, 'most' Americans are not going to give up our internal combustion gas powered cars so easily. We are addicted to them.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2021, 06:46:26 PM »
The 'powers that be' aka big oil companies wont let this happen

LOL....that sounds like what my dad and his buddies said about the (phantom) 200 MPG carburetors.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2021, 05:12:04 AM »
We'll be moving to better battery tech, hopefully soon if some of the research pans out. And thus not need hard to find elements like lithium for the batteries.
Kurt S
CRG

usa1ti

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2021, 01:57:03 PM »
The 'powers that be' aka big oil companies wont let this happen, even 'IF' electric only was proposed by the politicians. I also believe as it has been mentioned, 'most' Americans are not going to give up our internal combustion gas powered cars so easily. We are addicted to them.

There really is a lot of truth to this. If you look at one of Fords marketing campaigns for the first production V8 it was "32mpg in a new 1932 Ford V8". 90! years later we have since evolved to 8 speed transmissions, computer controlled fuel injection with O2 sensors, lightweight aluminum / composite bodies, very low drag body designs, ETC. My Jeep Grand Cherokee still doesn't get 32mpg... not even close. Wonder why? Big oil will lobby and control. Just like wind and solar, battery technology will never fill the demand. The only true tipping point will come with hydrogen fuel cell technology and that will need to be really cheap. To put it in perspective. I have worked in Teir 1 Automotive almost 30 years. Our build rates for complete power steering systems peaked at 17,500 per DAY! We worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 360 days a year. We were the 3rd largest in the US so 2 were bigger for the US market. That's how many cars are being built and sold every day. NO way batteries can fill this. When the rubber hits the road in reality you will find out that most of these announcements are to pander to the current woke cancel culture...

Todd, East TN

anything