Author Topic: Is this the end of GM?  (Read 17068 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Is this the end of GM?
« on: February 16, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »
Boys,
Just heard on the news (IF you believe them), that GM is canceling ALL gas powered vehicles by 2035. Every model will be electric. Is this the end of GM as we know it? Your thoughts...
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the end of GM?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 08:06:22 PM »
A lot can change between now and then.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 08:23:11 PM »
If GM's quality does not improve and that includes any EV they plan on making will they even survive to 2035?
Joe
69 Camaro

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 12:59:29 AM »
Will our trade ins be worthless?  That will be a problem if they decide to take our diesel farm equipment away.  No one will want to buy a new line up of equipment.  I have heard mechanics say the air coming out is cleaner than the air going in
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 03:37:57 PM »
The GM statement was qualified by including government support.  That might not happen.  Only time will tell.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 04:53:39 PM »
 Hopefully there will be a big push to further develop the process to recycle a large percentage of lithium-ion battery components such as cobalt and lithium to reduce the impact on the environment.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 06:12:06 PM »
Will our trade ins be worthless?  That will be a problem if they decide to take our diesel farm equipment away.  No one will want to buy a new line up of equipment.  I have heard mechanics say the air coming out is cleaner than the air going in
Many years ago when I took my 1975 Camaro, the first year for catalytic converters, in  for a smog check at my local Chevy dealer one of the mechanics told me the air coming out my tailpipes was cleaner than the air in the building they were in. 

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 08:52:39 PM »
Boys,
Here is an excellent comment on another site concerning this electric car topic:

Wait until the "Tree-Huggers" witness the environmental devastation and the slave labor engrossed in the execution of mining for the materials for their savior batteries!     :o

And, based on the current (pun intended   ::)  ) battery technology there isn't going to be enough raw materials, particularly such as Lithium & cobalt to accomplish this dream.  Of course the "plan" is that by the time society gets there (2030-35), the technology will have progressed to solve such.  Well I just hope that we humans don't charge (   ::)  ) up to the cliffs' edge and end up driven over the edge to our own calamity like the Lemming!      :o
1968 Olds 442 W-30

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 09:23:53 PM »
That is a very eco friendly and responsible gesture, at least to politicos. So maybe GM quits building them and outsources them or gets them from a subsidiary. There are some forms of transportation that I don't see as viable for battery power. And would GM want to miss out on other opportunities? I guess we'll see in 2035. Either way, expect petroleum products to be outrageously expensive. Of course the price of electricity, at least in CA, will be too.

This is only likely if some factions of political groups push there agendas forward. So be thoughtful of who you are voting for and hold them accountable for their campaign promises....no matter which side of this you are on. I'm not against EV's, they definitely fill a need and have a purpose.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 09:54:24 PM »
 I think the EV,s would be great for daily transportation. But a lot has to be done in 14 years to charge them. Not just the chargers but most of the countrys grid system cannot handle a 6PM load to charge a country full of cars. Even if the non fossil fuel power plants can generate the power the system mostly cannot transport it. Picture the lines on your street melting. Add no gas heating or cooking in the picture, solar that does not work in the dark. Seems building the cars is a small part of the feat.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 09:55:38 PM »
My worthless two cents...
Im very confidant oil and gas powered vehicles are not going away. Why you say? Too many of us are addicted to our internal combustion cars, the vast array of such, and most important, people are not going to like it when their electric bills, and the 'short' travels these EV will allow. Imagine getting stranded without any source of charging stations, and a 300 mile trip will take 4 days. This electric car crap was forced among us Californians a number of years ago and bombed. Charging stations were built, yet no (very few) customers using them. So, where are all of these charging stations now? Long gone...and thats in a 'blue' state.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:31 PM »
I think the EV,s would be great for daily transportation. But a lot has to be done in 14 years to charge them. Not just the chargers but most of the countrys grid system cannot handle a 6PM load to charge a country full of cars. Even if the non fossil fuel power plants can generate the power the system mostly cannot transport it. Picture the lines on your street melting. Add no gas heating or cooking in the picture, solar that does not work in the dark. Seems building the cars is a small part of the feat.

Completely agree.

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 10:52:17 AM »
This is all about saving the environment, right?: Well, actually GM, but this is part of the equation also. if you read about the mining exploits/methods/effects and then the construction of lithium/cobalt etc. batteries, they are actually pretty detrimental to the environment from the start and during production. Not only that, but where are all these discarded batteries going to end up when their usage life is over?  Incinerated and hope that they catch the harmful deposits before getting into our atmosphere or buried and hope they don't cause water/soil poisoning. I'm not saying read one article with the bias of one writer, but several research articles to actually get an idea about the pros and cons. And I agree, our grid system can't handle the load especially at higher demand times. We know how many cars are already lined up at the gas pumps. Imagine the hours waiting in line for a single charge while out traveling, even at one of the current so called fast chargers. Traffic would be at a stand still. We will be actually purchasing batteries with a auto body and interior thrown in for good measure. It will be a world of disposable auto's. If the battery goes bad, it will be cheaper and probably smarter to just buy a new battery with another auto thrown in again, instead of replacement. I can see it now at the used car lot. "Car never used as a welder power supply". I do not proclaim to be in any way an expert concerning this matter, but this is the concensus that all the articles that I have read have lead me to at this current time. And Ford has also announced that by 2035 they would be all electric. Stellantis, the parent company of Dodge is also making plans leaning toward electric and phasing out the combustion engine, but I didn't see any dates mentioned.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »
Before this all turns sideways this has NOTHING to do with 1967-8-9 Camaros.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 01:17:28 PM »
Before this all turns sideways this has NOTHING to do with 1967-8-9 Camaros.

If you can't get fuel or parts, you won't be driving (or repairing) your '67-69 Camaros... 
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything