Author Topic: Any way to do a nation-wide VIN search? Looking for a 69 Pace Car  (Read 11138 times)

GN1220

• View Profile
Re: Any way to do a nation-wide VIN search? Looking for a 69 Pace Car
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
I guess that's where me and my friends are different. If someone came to one of us and said his dad used to own that car or I had that car in high school or I was conceived in the back seat, whatever, I'd love to know more about the history of my car. I can understand some of your points but they are the same type of people with an LS6 Chevelle rotting in a field refusing to sell because they are "Going to fix it up someday." Just frustrating.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 01:31:35 AM »
Another reason might include a misrepresentation of the car, as far as options and models are concerned. If this is indeed the car that matches the VIN, I can see why 1) re-purchasing the car would be a smart move, as it appears to be a very well done restoration, and 2) if this was represented as an original BB, why the dealer might be unwilling to share the current owner's name and contact information with you. I don't know this dealer, they have an impressive inventory of both vehicles for sale and sold; I wouldn't cast aspersions on anyone. Facts are facts, as most all of us know today, this kind of thing happens very often. Draw your own conclusions - this is simply an opinion.

https://www.admcars.com/1969-chevrolet-camaro-rs-conv.-z-11-pace-car-big-block-c-133.htm?sold=Sold&

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »
I FOUND THE CAR! I contacted the Iowa dealer again, shared the story again, and this time the lady was nice enough to call me back. She said she couldn't give me the buyer's name but told me the car went to California and that she emailed my story and contact info to him. The next morning his secretary called me! She explained that the owner lives in Minnesota but has a winter home in Cali and that is where the car is. She said the car is in a building (she called it "The Vault") with about 60 other cars and basically it's where a bunch of guys store their cars, b.s., and play golf. She also said that the car probably hasn't even been driven much, if at all, since he bought it in 2015. What makes this even better is that she thinks he might be interested in selling or trading something for it! I emailed pics of the Z/28 that Joe currently owns and hopefully the Pace Car guy will find it interesting and Joe can finally get his Dad's car back! We'll know more next week when the owner gets back in town so wish us luck.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »
Great story, keep us updated.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 07:52:57 AM »
Promising development- good luck!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »
Total kick to the nuts today. Sent an email to Jim yesterday as follows:

Good morning Mr. Andersen, 

My name is Mike XXXXXX and I spoke with Deanne XXXXXXX last week in regards to a 1969 Pace Car Camaro that you own. I explained to her that I've been trying to locate this car for months in an effort to reunite the car with my friend, Joe. Joe's Dad, Tom, bought this car new from a dealership in Nevada, Missouri and sold it sometime in 73-74. In the mid 90's Tom was looking for a Pace Car but ended up with a very nice 1969 Z/28 instead.

When Tom passed a few years ago Joe mentioned that he was ready to sell the Z and wanted to finally get another Pace Car like him and his Dad always wanted. I mentioned how incredible it would be to find his Dad's old car but our little group of friends thought that would be impossible. I took it as a challenge. After many phone calls and internet searching here we are.

Deanne mentioned that you might be interested in selling or possibly trading the car. I would love to speak to you about it or I could share your contact with Joe and he would be more than happy to reach out to you. He would be able to answer any questions you might have.

I can be reached by phone or email and hope to hear from you soon and thank you for your time, Mike

And here is his cold-hearted response:

Hello Mike , thanks for the background relating to the car . 
Will pass on the option you outlined .

Thanks

I'm sorry, but is this guy a total dick or what? I have been letting my emotions cool and plan to reply tomorrow kissing his ass blah, blah, blah, and plan to basically beg him to let me know if he plans to sell the car. But come on. You have ZERO interest in speaking to family of the original owner? Not even interested in an email or phone call?  I'm not giving up but this really pisses me off. To come so close and for the guy to act like that?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 02:46:43 AM »
He may have thought you were an agent, or intermediary attempting to get a piece of the price....?

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 04:14:06 AM »
Total kick to the nuts today. Sent an email to Jim yesterday as follows:

Good morning Mr. Andersen, 

My name is Mike XXXXXX and I spoke with Deanne XXXXXXX last week in regards to a 1969 Pace Car Camaro that you own. I explained to her that I've been trying to locate this car for months in an effort to reunite the car with my friend, Joe. Joe's Dad, Tom, bought this car new from a dealership in Nevada, Missouri and sold it sometime in 73-74. In the mid 90's Tom was looking for a Pace Car but ended up with a very nice 1969 Z/28 instead.

When Tom passed a few years ago Joe mentioned that he was ready to sell the Z and wanted to finally get another Pace Car like him and his Dad always wanted. I mentioned how incredible it would be to find his Dad's old car but our little group of friends thought that would be impossible. I took it as a challenge. After many phone calls and internet searching here we are.

Deanne mentioned that you might be interested in selling or possibly trading the car. I would love to speak to you about it or I could share your contact with Joe and he would be more than happy to reach out to you. He would be able to answer any questions you might have.

I can be reached by phone or email and hope to hear from you soon and thank you for your time, Mike

And here is his cold-hearted response:

Hello Mike , thanks for the background relating to the car . 
Will pass on the option you outlined .

Thanks

I'm sorry, but is this guy a total dick or what? I have been letting my emotions cool and plan to reply tomorrow kissing his ass blah, blah, blah, and plan to basically beg him to let me know if he plans to sell the car. But come on. You have ZERO interest in speaking to family of the original owner? Not even interested in an email or phone call?  I'm not giving up but this really pisses me off. To come so close and for the guy to act like that?

I have seen this before. Some guys are just not interested. I have been following this thread, and hoped it would turn out better. Maybe take some time to cool your jets and let this sit for a while before replying back to him. Then possibly try again….Good luck!!
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
He may have thought you were an agent, or intermediary attempting to get a piece of the price....?

X2
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »

I'm not clear what this means.

I will definitely wait a few days to reply to him thanking him for his time and I also plan to reach out to his secretary and thank her as well. I thought about apologizing to her if I offended him in any way thinking she might quiz him about the situation and reply to me with his thoughts. As I said I'm not giving up but I sure feel crushed right now.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 06:57:50 PM »
Apparently in one of three locations - Veloce storage facilities, San Diego, Miramar, ??

http://v1.veloce-vault.com/

It's in good company if it's there. I'd hate to pay the storage fees.

Ever determine if it was an original big block car ?

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
Just make an offer straight up to buy the car. Leave all the trade and sentimental stuff out of the deal.

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2019, 02:26:47 PM »
Steve, it is not a real big block. The dealer in Iowa advertised it as a 454 so they knew it wasn't real and represented it as a factory small block car. I actually spoke to the guy in my area that put the car back together after finding it sitting behind a gas station for several years and he told me he put the 454 in it. It also didn't come with the Endura bumper, Rosewood wheel or gauges.

68 Ragtop, I was just trying to give as much information about the car as I could to show him that I wasn't a broker or dealer of any kind. Simply a guy trying to help his buddy get his childhood car back. His secretary is the one that told me he might be interested in selling or trading, the reason I threw that in.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 08:09:18 PM »
Pass the option you outlined? sounds to me like his secretary replied and will pass the info. on to him, he  must be an attorney!

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »
Pass the option you outlined? sounds to me like his secretary replied and will pass the info. on to him, he  must be an attorney!

Right? Not an attorney but a CEO. I reached out to his secretary this morning and apologized for offending anyone as that surely was not my intent. She responded and said he was not offended at all. Said if we are serious to make an offer. So now Joe is figuring out what a fair price will be for a car with a bunch of incorrect parts. Thinking in the $60-70,000 range. That is the HIGH end but stepping up for the emotional value. We shall see.

anything