Author Topic: Any way to do a nation-wide VIN search? Looking for a 69 Pace Car  (Read 11262 times)

GN1220

• View Profile
    I'm trying to help my friend locate the 69 Pace Car his Dad bought new but sold in 74-75. I have worked with the DMV in the town the car was sold in and, going on a picture of the car that included the license plate, we were able to get the VIN. A friend of a friend, who is a lawyer, did a search and it showed the car was last registered in North Kansas City, MO in 2015. I tracked the guy who it was registered to and actually talked to him. He was able to tell me where the car came from (spoke with that guy) and also who he sold it to (spoke with him as well.) The car ended up at a specialty car dealership in Iowa and was sold and that is where the story ends. The dealership said they reached out to the buyer and gave him my friend's contact information (but we have no way to know if this is true or not though) and hoped the current owner would call. I'm guessing when the lawyer and the DMV did a VIN search they were limited to Missouri so I'd like to search nation-wide. Is anyone able assist in this search?

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to do a nation-wide VIN search? Looking for a 69 Pace Car
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »
'Some' DMVs from other states will not release any information on a current owner for the reasons of privacy, or potential theft. I guess it depends on on how much time and money you are willing to spend to find this car. Its possible a private investigator can be hired to do a nationwide search. That said, I do know IF the car has been 'off the books' in California for more than 7 years, your out of luck…its not in the data base anymore.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »
What is the entire VIN since you have that?...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 03:35:33 PM »
Totally understand the privacy issue and have actually thought about Magnum PI. Just wanted to see if there was an easier way first. The Missouri DMV told me where and when the car was last registered but couldn't give me the owner's name. That's where the lawyer came in. Turns out the lawyer knows the guys wife! Small world. But not having any idea what state it's in now my only option would be to start calling a DMV in every state and hope they are as helpful as the lady that helped me here.

Here is the VIN. 124679N626385

If you Google that number it brings up the listing to the dealer in Iowa that sold the car.

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 03:40:28 PM »
It's originally a 350/350 car, no gauges or Endura bumper. One of the previous owners put the 454, gauges and new interior in it.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 01:45:48 AM »
Contact the dealer again and ask them if they would at least disclose what state the buyer lived (lives) in, if not the city? Then take out a Craigslist ad, and/ or go on FB and find a car forum in that state/city and ask for information on that car providing a few pictures and the VIN. Someone will see it and know the car and , hopefully, reply.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 02:48:10 AM »
That's a good idea. My friend, Joe, spoke to the dealer so I may need to contact them and get more information for him. Tried to post a picture but no matter what I do it says the file is too big.

CDB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 05:35:23 PM »
124679N626385 has not been registered in the US since 2015, like your friend found. If you need any more info than this, you can message me directly, but I do charge for my time and running searches.

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:55:44 PM »
That is not good to hear. I sent you a PM.

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 10:03:41 PM »
Cory Lawson whom has the first Camaro ever built has a website.....if you read through they explain what they had to do to trace and find cars....it’s a great web sight to look at. “Pilotcarregistry.com”

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 11:01:10 PM »
That is not good to hear....
That does not mean too much, at least to me. My car has not had plates since 84, but it is alive and well...on life support in a transcendental suspended animation.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 11:48:02 PM »
I called the dealer again today and again a different person said they would look into it and get back to me. The car was advertised for $70,000 so I can't imagine it's mid restoration. Worries me that it went to Canada or over seas.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 04:07:28 AM »
A few years ago, I spotted a parked car that I had bought new and then sold after 10 years. I left a note under a wiper, but got no reply. Then months later, got a call from the current owner. He confessed that my note freaked him out a little at the time (all I said was that I had bought it new, owned for next 10 years and had a lot of original documents if they wanted them) in case there was some other reason I was trying to get in contact. His girlfriend convinced him to call eventually, we met up and swapped ownership stories and I gave him a box full of receipts, sales docs etc.
So, my point is, the owner that bought from the Iowa dealer may suspect there is some subterfuge, maybe a title issue, divorce dispute or some other problem. I would mail a letter to the dealer, explaining your reasons for trying to contact the current owner, and ask them to forward it to the current owner. Then they can consider your reasons and may reach out.
If it's gone overseas since, another story. But if it sold for anywhere near the $70k figure, it's probably nicely restored and could be in a collection, hence why not registered these last few years.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »
Some people may think that you may be looking for a car that may have been tampered with or sold under false pretense in the past. I have been there and it convincing the guys wife that that was not what I was doing. Nothing easy about tracing a cars past.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

CDB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 03:24:06 PM »
I agree with the prior comments.

I help people find their long lost cars as a side hobby, and I always have to warn them how to approach the owner. It freaks them out. A prior client of mine ran into an owner that was in deep debt and thought the person was trying to repossess the car, so he completely shut down and refused to talk to the guy.

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
I guess that's where me and my friends are different. If someone came to one of us and said his dad used to own that car or I had that car in high school or I was conceived in the back seat, whatever, I'd love to know more about the history of my car. I can understand some of your points but they are the same type of people with an LS6 Chevelle rotting in a field refusing to sell because they are "Going to fix it up someday." Just frustrating.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 01:31:35 AM »
Another reason might include a misrepresentation of the car, as far as options and models are concerned. If this is indeed the car that matches the VIN, I can see why 1) re-purchasing the car would be a smart move, as it appears to be a very well done restoration, and 2) if this was represented as an original BB, why the dealer might be unwilling to share the current owner's name and contact information with you. I don't know this dealer, they have an impressive inventory of both vehicles for sale and sold; I wouldn't cast aspersions on anyone. Facts are facts, as most all of us know today, this kind of thing happens very often. Draw your own conclusions - this is simply an opinion.

https://www.admcars.com/1969-chevrolet-camaro-rs-conv.-z-11-pace-car-big-block-c-133.htm?sold=Sold&

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »
I FOUND THE CAR! I contacted the Iowa dealer again, shared the story again, and this time the lady was nice enough to call me back. She said she couldn't give me the buyer's name but told me the car went to California and that she emailed my story and contact info to him. The next morning his secretary called me! She explained that the owner lives in Minnesota but has a winter home in Cali and that is where the car is. She said the car is in a building (she called it "The Vault") with about 60 other cars and basically it's where a bunch of guys store their cars, b.s., and play golf. She also said that the car probably hasn't even been driven much, if at all, since he bought it in 2015. What makes this even better is that she thinks he might be interested in selling or trading something for it! I emailed pics of the Z/28 that Joe currently owns and hopefully the Pace Car guy will find it interesting and Joe can finally get his Dad's car back! We'll know more next week when the owner gets back in town so wish us luck.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »
Great story, keep us updated.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 07:52:57 AM »
Promising development- good luck!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »
Total kick to the nuts today. Sent an email to Jim yesterday as follows:

Good morning Mr. Andersen, 

My name is Mike XXXXXX and I spoke with Deanne XXXXXXX last week in regards to a 1969 Pace Car Camaro that you own. I explained to her that I've been trying to locate this car for months in an effort to reunite the car with my friend, Joe. Joe's Dad, Tom, bought this car new from a dealership in Nevada, Missouri and sold it sometime in 73-74. In the mid 90's Tom was looking for a Pace Car but ended up with a very nice 1969 Z/28 instead.

When Tom passed a few years ago Joe mentioned that he was ready to sell the Z and wanted to finally get another Pace Car like him and his Dad always wanted. I mentioned how incredible it would be to find his Dad's old car but our little group of friends thought that would be impossible. I took it as a challenge. After many phone calls and internet searching here we are.

Deanne mentioned that you might be interested in selling or possibly trading the car. I would love to speak to you about it or I could share your contact with Joe and he would be more than happy to reach out to you. He would be able to answer any questions you might have.

I can be reached by phone or email and hope to hear from you soon and thank you for your time, Mike

And here is his cold-hearted response:

Hello Mike , thanks for the background relating to the car . 
Will pass on the option you outlined .

Thanks

I'm sorry, but is this guy a total dick or what? I have been letting my emotions cool and plan to reply tomorrow kissing his ass blah, blah, blah, and plan to basically beg him to let me know if he plans to sell the car. But come on. You have ZERO interest in speaking to family of the original owner? Not even interested in an email or phone call?  I'm not giving up but this really pisses me off. To come so close and for the guy to act like that?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 02:46:43 AM »
He may have thought you were an agent, or intermediary attempting to get a piece of the price....?

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 04:14:06 AM »
Total kick to the nuts today. Sent an email to Jim yesterday as follows:

Good morning Mr. Andersen, 

My name is Mike XXXXXX and I spoke with Deanne XXXXXXX last week in regards to a 1969 Pace Car Camaro that you own. I explained to her that I've been trying to locate this car for months in an effort to reunite the car with my friend, Joe. Joe's Dad, Tom, bought this car new from a dealership in Nevada, Missouri and sold it sometime in 73-74. In the mid 90's Tom was looking for a Pace Car but ended up with a very nice 1969 Z/28 instead.

When Tom passed a few years ago Joe mentioned that he was ready to sell the Z and wanted to finally get another Pace Car like him and his Dad always wanted. I mentioned how incredible it would be to find his Dad's old car but our little group of friends thought that would be impossible. I took it as a challenge. After many phone calls and internet searching here we are.

Deanne mentioned that you might be interested in selling or possibly trading the car. I would love to speak to you about it or I could share your contact with Joe and he would be more than happy to reach out to you. He would be able to answer any questions you might have.

I can be reached by phone or email and hope to hear from you soon and thank you for your time, Mike

And here is his cold-hearted response:

Hello Mike , thanks for the background relating to the car . 
Will pass on the option you outlined .

Thanks

I'm sorry, but is this guy a total dick or what? I have been letting my emotions cool and plan to reply tomorrow kissing his ass blah, blah, blah, and plan to basically beg him to let me know if he plans to sell the car. But come on. You have ZERO interest in speaking to family of the original owner? Not even interested in an email or phone call?  I'm not giving up but this really pisses me off. To come so close and for the guy to act like that?

I have seen this before. Some guys are just not interested. I have been following this thread, and hoped it would turn out better. Maybe take some time to cool your jets and let this sit for a while before replying back to him. Then possibly try again….Good luck!!
1968 Olds 442 W-30

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
He may have thought you were an agent, or intermediary attempting to get a piece of the price....?

X2
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »

I'm not clear what this means.

I will definitely wait a few days to reply to him thanking him for his time and I also plan to reach out to his secretary and thank her as well. I thought about apologizing to her if I offended him in any way thinking she might quiz him about the situation and reply to me with his thoughts. As I said I'm not giving up but I sure feel crushed right now.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 06:57:50 PM »
Apparently in one of three locations - Veloce storage facilities, San Diego, Miramar, ??

http://v1.veloce-vault.com/

It's in good company if it's there. I'd hate to pay the storage fees.

Ever determine if it was an original big block car ?

Regards,
Steve

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
Just make an offer straight up to buy the car. Leave all the trade and sentimental stuff out of the deal.

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2019, 02:26:47 PM »
Steve, it is not a real big block. The dealer in Iowa advertised it as a 454 so they knew it wasn't real and represented it as a factory small block car. I actually spoke to the guy in my area that put the car back together after finding it sitting behind a gas station for several years and he told me he put the 454 in it. It also didn't come with the Endura bumper, Rosewood wheel or gauges.

68 Ragtop, I was just trying to give as much information about the car as I could to show him that I wasn't a broker or dealer of any kind. Simply a guy trying to help his buddy get his childhood car back. His secretary is the one that told me he might be interested in selling or trading, the reason I threw that in.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 08:09:18 PM »
Pass the option you outlined? sounds to me like his secretary replied and will pass the info. on to him, he  must be an attorney!

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »
Pass the option you outlined? sounds to me like his secretary replied and will pass the info. on to him, he  must be an attorney!

Right? Not an attorney but a CEO. I reached out to his secretary this morning and apologized for offending anyone as that surely was not my intent. She responded and said he was not offended at all. Said if we are serious to make an offer. So now Joe is figuring out what a fair price will be for a car with a bunch of incorrect parts. Thinking in the $60-70,000 range. That is the HIGH end but stepping up for the emotional value. We shall see.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2019, 12:25:56 PM »

Right? Not an attorney but a CEO. I reached out to his secretary this morning and apologized for offending anyone as that surely was not my intent. She responded and said he was not offended at all. Said if we are serious to make an offer. So now Joe is figuring out what a fair price will be for a car with a bunch of incorrect parts. Thinking in the $60-70,000 range. That is the HIGH end but stepping up for the emotional value. We shall see.

Do you have that much 'emotional' value in the 'vin'??   with so many of the functional parts changed and modified??

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
They are expensive emotions. My wife has those too.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »

Do you have that much 'emotional' value in the 'vin'??   with so many of the functional parts changed and modified??

Joe has been looking for a long time and the Pace Cars seem to climbing a bit so $50-70 range doesn't seem out of the norm. And the car looks well done in the pictures and we can only assume, for now, that the rest of the car is done right. As far as mods, pull the Endura bumper and bolt on a chrome one. Order a new steering wheel and swap it. Pull the big block and put in a crate motor. Sell the Endura bumper, the Rosewood and the big block and at least break even and all is right.

So now the plan is to get the Z decked out and get it sold and free up some cash. The good thing is that his wife knows how much this car means and she is on-board as long as the Z goes first. Also, he's willing to step up to get the car but he also knows he isn't going to get too crazy just to get it back. The numbers have to make sense for both parties.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »
IMO, the '454' engine is the '$Value smasher'....  the other items (steering wheel, bumper, etc) are not bad, and would be good for most...  For the most ultimate value enhancer, an original engine/accessories would be the ticket.

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
IMO, the '454' engine is the '$Value smasher'....  the other items (steering wheel, bumper, etc) are not bad, and would be good for most...  For the most ultimate value enhancer, an original engine/accessories would be the ticket.

Sure being all original would be preferred but replacing the big block with a small block is a weekend project. And it would make the car more correct in the process, which I would think would help the value. But like you mentioned, he has to put a $$$ figure on his emotional attachment and go from there. At this point we have no clue what number the owner is thinking; he might feel the car is worth $150,000 or maybe $40,000. So Joe was going to take some time, figure out what the Z will sell for, talk to his wife and figure out just how much he wants to offer the guy and go from there.

I know selling isn't allowed here so I will ask where a good place to advertise his car might be for like-minded people to see it? Do you guys have any preferred sites? Ebay seems like a big hassle but maybe it would be the best?

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
I agree with the others…this would be an expensive 'sentimental' purchase. Not to mention the time and money involved 'correcting' the issues you referenced. If this were me, 'I' would move on to another car for a lot less. Again, just my opinion.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2019, 10:46:15 PM »
There are several on ebay now ranging from $50,000 to $80,000 so, again, I don't think  $60-$70 for a very nicely restored car that just happens to be the one your Dad bought new is out of line. Of course these are asking prices not selling prices.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2019, 11:48:50 PM »
There are several on ebay now ranging from $50,000 to $80,000 so, again, I don't think  $60-$70 for a very nicely restored car that just happens to be the one your Dad bought new is out of line. Of course these are asking prices not selling prices.

I follow Pace Car pricing from time to time, watching for them on B-J, Mecum, eBay, and Craig's. Occasionally, you can find a good L48/350 car around $45K in decent condition, less sometimes depending on originality. I looked for at least 15 years to find mine, went through maybe 20 examples (from Alabama to Kentucky, Indianapolis to E. TN) until I found what I wanted to buy (and afford). Well worth the wait -but don't give up on this one yet.

Regards,
Steve

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2019, 02:32:15 PM »
I forgot Hemmings. I look forward to every month's issue, even though the internet has taken it's toll on the mag - to me, it's still a good source for everything automotive. Just received the September issue, this jewel is in the Camaro section. At $55K OBO, a documented restored car could be had -

Regards,
Steve

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
That one is gone already.

The guy sounds like a CEO with limited time and a non-emotional car collector. Just deal with him as such...
Kurt S
CRG

GN1220

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »
He has an emotional attachment to the car. I believe his friend's son or maybe it was a family member's son helped him pick the car out after being diagnosed with a terminal disease. The boy has since passed and the owner still feels a connection through the car. Unfortunately that means the price goes up.

anything