Author Topic: 67 Pace cars  (Read 50648 times)

Rich

• CRG Coordinator
  • 68 L30/M20 RS
    • View Profile
Continuing education on forum decorum
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2007, 03:14:52 PM »
I'm on the road while I write this.

CRG has, on a couple of very rare instances in the history of its forums, edited or deleted an especially offensive post.  We've never had to go to the extent of monitoring that this (and the previous related) threads have required.  CRG forum members have typically held themselves to a higher standard.  However, as the forum grows, and as we gain new members that come from other forums where they are used to a lower standard of experience, we may have to do some education.

To that end I have edited a number of posts in this thread that I feel were unnecessarily inflammatory. I have left the mostly tolerable content, which does not effect the technical content of this thread.

It is fine to express an opinion.  It is fine to disagree wiith someone.  It is fine to discuss and attempt to influence the readers to your view.  But please remember that disagreement does not mean that the person you disagree with is either an idiot or an underhanded no good.

There is no need to bring personal attacks into CRG discussions, and there is no excuse for it.

Please monitor yourselves - I don't want to have to do it, and neither does Kurt nor the rest of the CRG leadership.

Thanks for your adherence to this, and for your patience.

Rich
CRG Coordinator
68 L30/M20 RS

buds396

• View Profile
Re: 67 Pace cars
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2007, 04:03:13 PM »
Charley,

I want to thank you for shipping your Pace Car all over the country for Camaro enthusiast to see and enjoy.  There are not many people who would do this with a piece of history.  I appreciated the time you took a few years ago to shared all the documentation on this car and explain all the steps that took place in 1967 to produce the car.

The car is what it is and there is more than enough documentation to back it up.

Bud
1968 RS/SS L78
Reading, Pa.

festival78

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »
I watched this thread carefully and am happy with the outcome. I thank the CRG guys for staying strong with all the diversions. I've made it my lifes mission with regards to the time I have available for hobby & leisure to get the word out and promote the genuine uniqueness of the 67 Camaro as Pacecar. Maybe it is just a curse on me but theres more often than not heated discussions revolving around the 67 IPC? I know its a massive gray area and for 2 decades misinformation has spread rampant... but eventually, rest assured ,the truths will come out. I personally find it difficult (as bias as I am) to even begin to find valid comparisons between a car ( Grumpys) that was "first" to hit the battlefields of Drag Racing to #92 (Charleys) that was the darling of the world wide televised biggest single day sporting event in the history of civilization, whose reengineering after it was built is second to none in my mind.. An analogy I suppose is comparing Joe Frasier to Marylin Monroe...Both human,both great, but the comparisons stop there

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2007, 08:23:40 PM »
What are C B C vehicles? Maybe some type of test car or engineering fleet car?

It's not "CBC", it's "CEC" (Chevrolet Engineering Center); we maintained an in-house fleet of about 1200 company-owned cars and trucks in those days.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2007, 08:37:28 PM »
I have been reading all this regarding the origin of the 375 HP 396, and find it all very interesting. It has left me curious with a couple of questions:
Wasn't there a 425 HP version of the 396 used in the 1965 Corvette? And if so, What is different about the 375 HP 396, and why develop it when a 425 HP version had already existed? Something to do with power/weight ratio? Or Corvette only? Thanks!  :)

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2007, 08:58:39 PM »
The CBC must be a typo on the work order.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2007, 03:08:22 AM »
The '65 Corvette was a 396-425.  Same engine was in the Z16 Chevelle except for a smaller hydraulic camahaft.  It was rated at 375hp.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2007, 03:10:46 AM »
Is there a spell check on this forum?  Would save me from making these damn typos............camahaft!!!!!

Have 28 icons above and none of them spell check?

Jerry

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2007, 03:59:27 AM »
OK John, the reason I was asking about the official title and location of the engineering/tech center in a previous question is now most likely cleared up with the correction of the CBC to "CEC vehicles" at the bottom of the first page of the work order. If we look back to the top of the work order under DIST: could we have another typo with a miss shift of the number 0 behind the RCA heading? This would change the heading from RCA (10   ENG (2) and change it to  RCA (1)   ENG (2)  Any idea what RCA might stand for? I'm making an assumption that ENG is engineering or enginered.
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2007, 07:06:13 PM »
"RCA" is a code for a distribution list (instead of typing all the names individually) - remember that all of these things were typed manually in those days - there were no word processors or office computers in 1967, and there were very few copiers - most things of that nature that required multiple copies were typed on mimeograph plates and reproduced on a Mimeograph machine.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2007, 05:03:18 AM »
I sort of understand that and know you dont have a crystal ball :) Seems odd to have numbers in paranthesis following abbreviated distribution lists? Normally you see CC: locations at the end of a document. I learned to type on a manual typewriter and the first copier I ever saw filled an entire sizeable room. I have poured over this work order trying to make sense of the content and come up with more questions than answers. Obviously this two page 98168 work order is part of a document with at least 24 pgs. The other pages and possible additional engineering work orders contained within might still be discovered some day?  Whats a hobby worth without a little mystery and individual interpretation :)

67ModTop

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2007, 05:27:52 AM »
Pat,

When you see the page number of 24 on the bottom of 98168, you are seeing the actual page number from the book in was copied from.
 The work order is certainly greater than just those two pages that we have, but how much greater is the question.

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2007, 05:45:33 AM »
Ahh...I see the 98168 work order is pages one and two of two and independent.

67ModTop

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2007, 05:52:06 AM »
 It reads like a basic cover sheet for work to be completed.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2007, 07:12:58 PM »
Many work orders ended up as a 2-inch-thick file by the time they were completed, with all the supplements and supporting documents; I worked with lots of them in the Corvette Group in those days.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything