Author Topic: Hello. I have a November 1969 Production Date Canadian Car info requested  (Read 21190 times)

mikea

• View Profile
Hello Gents.

First of all let me commend you on your research articles, with the inline links.  Very informative, well written, and got me really, really curious.  A friend showed me his car the other day, said it was quite rare.  How rare I thought.  So I had a look.

Here is what I have. 
vin: 124379N711022
trim 720 or hd
paint: 72 hugger
plant:norwood
ship date: nov 11,1969 (yup)
model: 12437 sc
engine:396
dealer: 82121

I know she has the fibre optics and pretty sure she has the disc brakes.  I only had time to have a quick chat but he mentioned COPA and Yenko.  Also something about the interior not supposed to come with this model?  I will continue to peruse your research but wanted to know what you all thought!  How rare is it?  What questions do I ask and what do I look for when I go look at it again in a couple days?  She has a realllllly late build date... And has wierd options haha.  It's all quite cool the more digging I do.  Thanks again!

Mike

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
You have a pic of the tag on the firewall?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
GM of Canada will be able to tell you about everything you need to know about the car when it was new.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
That interior was available on any coupe.
All 69 SS's had discs. It doesn't have fiber optics. Which 396? You are obviously looking at the GM of Canada doc - it will list all the options.
Kurt S
CRG

mikea

• View Profile
The U46 vigilite lamp monitors (fibre optic) and the JL8 brakes. 

I can get the tags yes.  Anything else I should look for in terms of options?

Thanks!

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Are you sure on the JL8?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Way too late for JL8.  And U46 would have the monitors visible on the fenders.

If those are on the sheet, I question the sheet. Get a copy/picture of the sheet.
Kurt S
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
That’s why I asked? :)

I don’t like to “lead the witness”. :)

mikea

• View Profile
They were special brakes he said, normally unavailable I think.  How can I tell for sure?  He said Yenko as well. This car is special in ways he told me (all the lingo did not sink in at the time) and seems to have come off the line after GM said they stopped.  She was built in a very non standard way from what I understood from my quick conversation with him, something about pace car options.  Again I'm going back there to get more information and pictures, so tell me what to look for and take pics of, and I will let you know.  I will be able to give an educated post after I speak with the owner again on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Sorry for the uncertainty. He has all the paperwork and is going to show me.  Hopefully the build sheet is part of that!! Thanks!

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Sounds like lots of BS.
A pic of the tag and the GM of Canada doc will tell us a lot!
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile

...That interior was available on any coupe.

Only after about mid-year as the orange and yellow houndstooth interiors were introduced in the spring? (not sure about exact month - maybe april or may?)..

And obviously the car was too late for the JL8 factory installation, but the dealership *could* have installed a service duty disk brake rear for the original buyer (for an extra $1000 or so)...

Also sounds like the owner isn't aware of the extended production for the '69 Camaro...

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

mikea

• View Profile
Fellas there is no BS going on here. I just asked for assistance. I stated I did not have all the details yet. I will go and get the trim tag and have requested the sheet from GM Canada. I would like to know what to check on the car to determine her options. I believe there was dealer work done after she was built. Again i will find out more for you tomorrow. She is all original with everything matching. There are only two cars in your registry built later than this one. And only 900 off the line after this one. By my (admittedly little) knowledge and research she seems like one of the last 69s to be built ans survive intact.  I expected more enthusiasm versus skepticism.  Anyway thank you and please let me know what to take pic of so you can best advise me.  Mike

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Pics. Trim tag on the cowl, VIN tag on the dash, engine pad stamps (in front of the passenger side cylinder head), stamp on transmission (passenger side, middle where main case and tail housing meet), axle stamp (front edge of passenger side axle tube), GM of Canada document, any dealer paperwork including the POP.

Best to email pics to Kurt.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Fellas there is no BS going on here. There are only two cars in your registry built later than this one.
I was saying the seller was providing the BS / misstatements.
Lot more than two cars in the database after this one, btw.
The engine pad picture can be hard to get, but will tell us if it's real.
Kurt S
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
The CRG does not inspect, appraise or certify anything. However, our core members have a tremendous amount of experience with 1st Gen Camaros. Like everyone else, we are free to make unsolicited observations about questionable claims. I have been challenging some incredible claims on our site for years under the heading Caveat Emptor: swapped VIN and body tags, fake tags, re-bodied cars, re-stamped drivetrains, outright lies.

In the case of this car, you posted information and stated: I will continue to peruse your research but wanted to know what you all thought!

Some very knowledgeable people saw red flags immediately and said so. You bitched about it:

I expected more enthusiasm versus skepticism.

When you ask for opinions, be prepared for the unvarnished truth. We are here to tell you what you need to know, not what you want to hear. Would you rather find out after you buy it?

The car in question may be a rare combination of options: SS-RS, 396, special front bumper, orange interior. That is significant only if it was built that way. There are several shops that will build whatever you want and slap a reproduction body tag on it. As noted, the JL8 brakes and U46 claims immediately come into question. 

The car has obviously been restored. The left rear wheel well appears to be orange; they were not body color in production. Also, the default stripe color for 72-72 paint was white, not black. Anything can be done during the course of a rotisserie restoration.

So sit back and ponder your free assessment. 

Learning more and more about less and less...