Author Topic: Battery felt color?  (Read 4989 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Battery felt color?
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »
 Was the factory applied battery felt washer that went under the + terminal a certain color?

Thanks,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: Battery felt color?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
I don't recall seeing those used on cars fresh from the assembly plant, with top post batteries, back in the day.  But we'll see what our experts say.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:13:35 AM »
 It's listed in the '67 UPC 12/A4 for an L6 engine. The V8 engine refers to the L6 for the + cable. The felt washer P/N is 378082. I see some Corvette places sell it for '67 but it is almost colorless. I was checking to see if there was a color used for Camaro.

Thanks,
Mike

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
Mike, the 378082 felt washer was used on the positive side of all cars and trucks with top post batteries from the 1920's! However, since they were soaked in 90wt gear oil before installation, it really doesn't matter what color the "naked" felt was because the 90wt turned it a very dark brown.

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »
Hi Ed,

Gear oil....that's interesting to know. I guess the Corvettes used the same felt and their repro is a bland color...almost a very light brown (dry). I was wondering if the felt was something like what is available today from the auto part stores which are red and green felts.

Thanks!
Mike

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »
Has anyone ever seen one on a survivor Camaro ? I have never seen one.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »
Has anyone ever seen one on a survivor Camaro ?

Yes, I have Charley. My very first Camaro was a 1967 SS/RS I got from the original owner back in 1971. It still had the original battery!! I remember because I had to replace it like the first week I owned the car! I don't remember the actual color, but it was very dark. Close to black, but that may have just been because of age. I haven't seen once since.

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
 I picked up a few felt washers when I stopped by LI Corvette.
Here is a picture. I may dampen it with some 85W gear oil.

Mike

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
Does anyone know why these felt washers were only used on the positive terminal?

Paul

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »
I'd experiment with red or green store bought pieces and see if that color can be closely duplicated.  Either by soaking in a solution or dye.  Cheap enough to experiment with anyway.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
Or you can fabricate your own with a couple larger round punches.  I suspect the original were a bit more dense and thicker that what they sell at your FLAPS today.  McMaster has this felt, some off-white:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/=1agdpf2

As I recall, the + terminal is the one that always corrodes and caused problems, and why they only put the felt there.  If there's a chemist in the house, they can tell us about ions etc. and why the case.     

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »
Does anyone know why these felt washers were only used on the positive terminal?

Corrosion is produced by the normal process of sulfation and electrolysis, where minute amounts of electrolyte migrate between the seal of the battery posts and the plastic, causing any metal it's in contact with to turn into sulfates. Since this mostly occurs on the positive side of the battery (because of electrical properties), the felt isn't required on the negative side.

If you're really interested, do a Google search on sulfation and you'll get a TON of hits!

Ed

anything