Author Topic: Leaf spring restoration  (Read 4116 times)

Tx-Z 302

• View Profile
Leaf spring restoration
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
Has anyone tried dissassembling their leaf packs and cleaning and rebuilding the pack? I think I want to but not sure the new clamps will look right or how hard they are to reclamp?  Or should I just leave them as is?
Chris W

BRG Z28

• View Profile
Re: Leaf spring restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
The reproductions the Camaro Specializes makes are perfect. I would replace them. They also have the correct ride night.

Daytona Yellow 69 Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:08:43 PM »
I rebuilt the springs on my 68 SSRS several years back during my resto. I bought the new clamps from heart beat city thru ebay I think at the time. It was a pretty easy straight forward job from what I remember.

Pacecar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 12:47:02 AM »
I've rebuilt the springs before. If there was an issue with sagging or height, I went to a professional spring shop and had them re-arced. Putting the new clamps on was not bad. The advantage of restoring original springs is they are generally marked GM whereas the repros are not marked. Just if you are critical of originality

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:23:00 AM »
The reproductions the Camaro Specializes makes are perfect. I would replace them. They also have the correct ride night.
I agree the reproductions mentioned and also sold by heartbeat are excellent in appearance but for anyone be warned that the ride height is not correct in the beginning. I placed 2 five gallon buckets of damp sand in the trunk and 1 five gallon bucket of same in rear seat area to assist with dropping. Those buckets were in the car during restoration for probably 3 months or more. And yes I started to restore ours but the one main leaf was cracked and could not achieve the new look I was after. Also the repro kit sold by Heartbeat advertised as correct is not involving the plastic liner pieces. As mentioned the excellent repro's do not have the embossed GM marking but not all the leafs have it to begin with.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Terry69RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 01:48:10 AM »
Hi,
Does anyone sell the correct installation kit for the reproduction rear springs mentioned?
Terry