Author Topic: Highly Documented Resto, Reference Quality-My youknowhat 69 Z  (Read 9675 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: Highly Documented Resto, Reference Quality-My youknowhat 69 Z
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 04:19:10 PM »
The front page of the certificate is pictured in the ad.  Has the cars serial number, and RPO Z28 listed with Jerry's signature.

Yes the other stuff like parts and pieces would be important to a potential buyer, but in a for sale ad I think the seller is simply making the point we are looking at a real Z.  Does the first page not accomplish that?    I would think Jerry may then word the front page differently before putting his name on it.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 05:45:49 PM »
Why even issue a certificate? The appraisal page is all that matters.

Ugh on the repro door panels that they never even put the Camaro emblems on.

What do you mean why issue a Certificate?   Does it not at a minimum document the car as a real Z28?    That part seems kind of important.

No it doesn't.

The parchment paper first page just means you paid to have your car inspected. It could be any car. A 6 cylinder, plain jane, RS/SS, Z/28, base 327, whatever. It doesn't even have to be a Camaro. It's a privately owned business, not a public service.

The appraisal pages are the meat of the report. They provide a professional opinion of the cars condition, what options the car has and if they may be original to the car, along with a (usually generous) market appraisal.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
Can you explain why it says RPO Z28 along with the serial number on the front page with Jerry's signature??    I don't believe Jerry would print that on the front page and hand it over to someone without him at least first verifying it's a real Z.   

Printing that on the front page, and then going on about how the car is a complete fake with doctored tags and re-stamped parts on the rest of the paperwork would make absolutely no sense at all.  Then the front page may as well read "base model Camaro" or whatever.

This is probably a question for Jerry himself but I'm willing to bet, and feel pretty comfortable giving Jerry the benefit of the doubt here, that with at least that first page we see, that Jerry at least took the time to verify the data plate and vin numbers before going any further on the car so he can supply the correct heading on the front page.  Otherwise it wouldn't be what I consider thorough and accurate documentation of a car.  Hence the meaning of my first comment that with this paper supplied in the pics we at least know it's a real Z28.  The other stuff on the rest of the papers is just icing on the cake, or not, and I'm sure is viewable by anyone interested in buying the car.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
I don't think there's any question that in Jerry's opinion, this is a Z/28; It states as much on the page shown.
Jimmy V.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 08:18:03 PM »
I don't think there's any question that in Jerry's opinion, this is a Z/28; It states as much on the page shown.

Exactly what I'm trying to convey Jimmy.  So the first page has some merit.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 08:27:47 PM »
Just taking a minute to chime in here.  All inspections are done on-site and yes, I do generate a four to five page report on every car that I inspect in person.  Many dealers are guilty of using just the cert to sell a car.  I don't like it and will figure out a way to change the current way I write the cert (adding maybe report enclosed?).  I have a client who bought a real '68 Z28 with my cert but without the full report because the seller didn't want him to know that the drive train was re-stamped.

Most have wised up though as I get many, many calls where people will ask about the full report.  All cars that I do are logged into my data base.

Reports take anywhere from 3-5 hours to generate.  Been working on one today, an L78 70 Camaro with re-stamped DT.  More work for me in reports like this as I have to provide data analysis. 

Jerry     

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 10:06:27 PM »
You could place on the first page "Page 1 of 5", and somewhere other than bottom of page.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 03:54:13 AM »
My point was why have a certificate at all. It can be misleading at best.
The report is what you really want to see - it tells what's original, condition, etc.
Kurt S
CRG

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »
I like the certificate. For a guy like me its a neat piece to frame and hang in the garage with the car. Perhaps a simple grade next to the date could help. Such as, A thru F, or 1 thru 10.
Or, the certificate could contain, or be printed on, a photo.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
I understand both Kurt and John's post. Our 69Z's previous owner had Jerry certify the car in 2003. At that point in time the report was on one page and there was no certificate per se. That one page report from 2003 is crammed with info but not as professional looking as the multiple page reports and certificate received today.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »
Well Kurt, a lot of reasons come to mind as to why it's nice to have a certificate, but the first one that pops in my head is that certificate is stating what you're looking at is a real Z.  You have to admit there are a ton of fakes, and they are getting better at making these data plates, cutting out vins and replacing, or rebody etc...   So it's nice to have someone in the field knowledgeable enough to determine what you are seeing is a genuine born Z28.  So I see it as important at the very least to provide that piece of paper showing all potential buyers that the car in question isn't a fake.  I don't see the certificate as being misleading at all.  Jerry states right on the front page the RPO with his signature.  Are we questioning his judgement on the cars status?   To me that first page is just as important as what follows on the other pages.  Besides that, like John says, it's a nice piece to frame and hang on the wall or display at a show.

Moving on to the other pages is where some of the interesting stuff is, so yes I agree in that respect. Some of us are number crunchers, and hardcore collectors worry about this part,  but what may or may not be there is not always a deal breaker for the average buyer.  That just depends on the individual.     I personally think it's great that these pages show what may or may not be original to the car, and I like to see numbers matching stuff like most here, but the most important part to me is that we are at a minimum looking at a real Z with it's born with data plate and vins.  The first page (certificate) shows that much.  In a nutshell, the entire packet, including the certificate is all very important.  They go hand in hand with each other documenting the car, and looks more professional in the process.