Author Topic: Trying to close deal on 69 Camaro-Title Issues  (Read 9824 times)

Z28Project

• View Profile
Trying to close deal on 69 Camaro-Title Issues
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:37:09 AM »
I'm trying to buy a 69 Camaro from a guy I've known a long time who bought the car in 1977 and NEVER transferred the title.

He planned to only race the car, so he didn't care about plates or any of that.  He raced it on and off until 1986, and the car hasn't moved an inch since then.  The prior owner was killed in a traffic accident, so the current owner has a title and a death certificate. He checked into what he needs to do, and a notary at a bank said to bring the surviving spouse in to sign (the title I presume) in front of her and she will then notarize it.  He tracked down the dead guys wife (who luckily is still alive and in the area) but she's apparently not wanting to cooperate.  I don't necessarily blame her; after all of these years and maybe old memories of the car and husband, I might not want to either.

I've looked at the title and I don't think there is anything written on it about the sale. I think the wife signed it for the dead owner, and provided the death certificate with it.

I'm not sure if I should let this drag on week after week like it is, or just buy the car, get the title and death certificate myself, and try to resolve it on my own like the current owner never even had the car.

I need to look at the title again and see if she only signed it, or signed and dated it.  If it's not dated I could treat it like I'm buying it from her.  Maybe give her a couple hundred bucks for her trouble?

If it's dated as sold in 1977, then there is the issue of why somebody didn't transfer the title at the time of sale.

It used to be easy to handle this stuff; I have purchased both a car with no title and an old motorcycle that had never been titled and easily got those taken care of, but this seems different, AND I think the laws have tightened up quite a bit in recent years.

Anyone had any similar situations?  Any ideas?

Thanks,  John
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to close deal on 69 Camaro-Title Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 02:01:39 AM »
I would find out exactly what was signed on the title before I did anything.

The guy that has it now should offer to pay the wife something for her time and trouble.  Being nice about it, and offering something in exchange is usually enough to convince most people.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »
I've looked at the title and I don't think there is anything written on it about the sale. I think the wife signed it for the dead owner, and provided the death certificate with it.

I'm not sure if I should let this drag on week after week like it is, or just buy the car, get the title and death certificate myself, and try to resolve it on my own like the current owner never even had the car.
Depending on the state, they don't always require a title on cars that are older than a certain date. Maybe tell the guy you'll buy it contingent upon being able to title it? The date on the title for the sale won't really matter unless they want to hit you with a fine for not titling it within so many days. Again, depends on the state. So you didn't title it. The car sat and was never registered. Happens all the time.
Just be nice and pucker up when you go to the DMV...
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 02:08:35 PM »
Some states purge the vin from the system if there is no activity on them after 10 years.  Arizona is that way here.  My Z sat for 30 years with no activity and I had to pay a $25 fee to re-enter the car into the system.  Not a big deal.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 02:38:38 PM »
What this all boils down to is you NEED to talk to someone at the DMV and see what they say.

"Some states", "My state", "Depending on the state" won't help you. We can guess all day long but in the end, we're not the DMV.

Ed

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 03:48:27 PM »
AND not everyone at DMV will give you the same answer. If you belong to a major car club ask them if they know a car friendly lawyer that takes care of things like this.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
Yes they are all different, just giving an example of how a dead car in the system works in AZ.  Some are easy, some are not.  However this one is going to be a bit more involved and sounds like there are some hoops to get through.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 06:51:29 PM »
Try this. I do this when I have title problems or difficult people. It works, not a scam.

http://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »
Try this. I do this when I have title problems or difficult people. It works, not a scam.

L78,
Just curious,  this is not a company offering "Bonded Titles" is it ?
Thanks
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »

You do realize that the power of attorney you sign for them is not limited to a single vehicle right? You're giving them the legal authority to do whatever they choose with any of your motor vehicles by the looks of it. I don't doubt that it's not a scam, but I don't know "Justin Joy" and I wouldn't give him a power of attorney with that kind of power. Hell, I wouldn't give a close friend that...

POWER OF ATTORNEY
Let it be known to all whom it may concern that I (1.)___________________________________________________
Individuals name
Do hereby appoint Justin Joy of Moto Recycle Title, Schuylkill Haven, PA the Attorney-in-Fact to perform on my behalf all
Work and sign all documents deemed necessary or appropriate for securing title and/or registration of my motor vehicle(s)
Date: __________________
(2)_________________________________________________________
Signature
Date of Birth: ________________________
Personally appeared before me, the above named owner or office, and acknowledged the foregoing instrument as
his/her/their free act and deed.
Date: __________________
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 07:28:03 PM »
My guess is this Company gets a "Bonded Title" which is used when someone/firm has obtains a "Certificate of Title Surety Bond" in order to register a vehicle.

If not then give them a try and good luck.   But "IF SO", then it's a risk...IMHO !  As a bonded title is only temporary (some states can take up to 3 years) and if a lien or another issue (stolen) is found against the vehicle then you lose all..the money spent on the bond and the vehicle !
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
Go with the owner and take what you have to the smallest DMV office near you.  Go at the least busy time of day.  Ask them what you need to do...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 08:00:29 PM »
In Vermont there are no titles issued on vehicles over a certain age. Same in NY. So what you get is a transferable reg. that a title state will accept and issue a title upon transfer.
On the power of attorney fear what I did is list only the vehicle That the POA pertained to.
Its not a bonded title.
When I transferred. my 69 Camaro out of NY to NC all I had was the registration cert. That states on it that it is Transferable. 

elcamino72

• View Profile
    • More Information on Camaro Fraud
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 12:44:29 PM »
As you have already seen by the responses to your question the answer is truly state specific.  Be ware of the agencies out there that promise you a title by registering the car in another state and then transferring the registration to you.  This could get you in a lot of hot water with both DMVs.  There is a statement on nearly every DMV form that states that the information you are submitting is true and correct and not misleading.  Also by "going around the process" you are not extinguishing the outstanding title rights that someone else may have in the car.  Just an FYI.

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 05:19:18 PM »
In the case above the purchaser already has the title. Only the sellers signature needs to be notarized. I would register it in a state that is not a notary state.

anything