Author Topic: Trying to close deal on 69 Camaro-Title Issues  (Read 9887 times)

Z28Project

• View Profile
Re: Trying to close deal on 69 Camaro-Title Issues
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
I appreciate all of the suggestions!  I'm weighing each and every one.

The state is Indiana.  Indiana no longer requires notarized signatures on titles, but I believe that older titles back from when they did require it, still have to be notarized at the time of sale.

I'm trying to get ahold of the guy who owns it so that I can take another look at the title, and make sure I have my facts straight.  I'm almost certain his name is not on the title at all (as purchaser), so I think I could pay for the car, take it and the title/death certificate with me, and then pursue the best solution without him. I don't recall if the seller dated it or not.

Once again, thanks for any and all ideas!   John
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 06:14:23 PM »
Some states purge the vin from the system if there is no activity on them after 10 years.  Arizona is that way here.  My Z sat for 30 years with no activity and I had to pay a $25 fee to re-enter the car into the system.  Not a big deal.
Same here. No biggie, and they let me keep my old title from 1977 (I hadn't plated/registered it since '91). That was more important to me than getting the car "back in the books"
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
NC titles can be notarized out of someones name but not notarized into the new owners name at that time. I think it is called an open title. I did something similar a while back and met the deceased,s spouse at DMV and she had a legal doc allowing her to sign. Since we were both there no problems.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 05:39:21 PM »
Indiana BMV title page says http://www.in.gov/bmv/2364.htm

The certificate of title must be applied for within 45 days after the vehicle is purchased or otherwise acquired. If the certificate of title is applied for after the 45 days have passed, an administrative penalty will be charged.

If you are buying a vehicle, ensure that the seller has completed in their entirety both the seller and purchaser sections on the certificate of title before visiting a license branch to apply for a new certificate of title. The seller should remove the license plate from the vehicle at the time of the transaction. The purchaser is responsible for obtaining a new certificate of title, registration, and license plate.

So I would assume if he requests a title from them as required by law - and as I read it he should have done so back in the day up to 45 days after he purchased it,  regardless of it being used for racing only as the vehicle is not considered an exempt vehicle due to it being a vin issued vehicle, not a custom specialized piece of machinery, or an off road vehicle by their definitions. They will issue an updated title in his name. He may need to present his bill of sale and the death certificate, but that is not your problem or issue. It is his if he ever intends to sell the vehicle. In any event he should call the BMV to get the particulars in his case.

Once he has legal title to the vehicle in his name he can then sign the title as seller and you can take legal ownership paying the associated fees. Looks very straight forward and as already said they will most likely not give a hoot as long as he is paying the title fees and administration fines for being over 45 days. Money talks.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »
A follow up on this.......everything finally came together.  The current owner of the car was finally able to get the wife of the deceased previous owner to meet with him in the presence of a notary and get it taken care of.  The car is now titled in the current owners name, so the transaction between he and I can now take place!  He did have to pay a minor fee for not transferring the title within 30 days,  39 YEARS :)  and I found it interesting that they charged him sales tax on the purchase based on the 1977 Indiana rate (4%) instead of todays 7%.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions.  It was getting very frustrating as this drug on month after month with no end in sight.
John

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »
That's great news and congrats on your buy.  Next we wanna see pics and what's your plans.
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 04:00:33 PM »
Awesome! Yes we need pics. :)
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 09:34:49 PM »
Got it home yesterday!

I started a new thread about the car:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=14983.0

John
John