Author Topic: Restoration blues  (Read 20071 times)

abiddle

• 1969 Camaro SS 350 - trim 719 52 52
    • View Profile
Restoration blues
« on: February 25, 2016, 02:21:36 PM »
My SS350 has been in restoration now for 3 months at a local bodyshop. At first I was excited about it, but as the weeks have passed and I haven't seen much progress passed the stripping stage I have gone through some withdrawals. At first I couldn't stop buying odd stuff for the camaro off ebay and I was visiting the shop every day. Then I couldn't stop looking at new car projects, as if the camaro is no longer mine. I've found a local 69 mercury cyclone cobra jet 428 that is a complete basket case, that I can't stop thinking about even though I know the restoration will cost far more than the car's final value. And I keep looking at the Hamilton cars on Craigslist. My latest stage is selling off all of my rare camaro parts that I've been hoarding, and convinced my wife I need a new project.

I really need my camaro back.

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Restoration blues
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 03:11:22 PM »
 I do my own work ranging from welding, leading, bodywork, painting and even upholstery and I still get the blues from time to time even though I am in full control of the restore pace. I think it is normal however as we tend to get bored working on "the same thing". IMO, I think we tend to look at the whole picture and get overwhelmed. So, I do at home how I plan projects in IT at work and that is to break it up into manageable stages and work each one at a time to be the best it can be before moving onto the next stage. I set target dates for each item I work on so I can gauge my pace and stay on course.
  I'm working on my convertibles second restoration (first was in the mid-80's) and I'm still 3 years into it because in part I raised my own bar high. But this year I will be done and get to enjoy the car.
I tell my wife how I'm going to go "cruzing for chicks" when I am done.

Stay the course!
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 03:32:27 PM »
Is the body shop still actively working on your car? If not, is there a good reason for delays?
Its easy for the wind to leave your sails if you can't get in them and drive em. Been there.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

dale_z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:39:44 PM »
Only 3 months and you're depressed? Try 8 years...and counting. Talk about "paint jail"!! My car is so close to being done now that I actually considered buying license plates (mine are due in February) for the first time in 26 years. But, to put it all into perspective, I sat on it since the early '80's when "life got in the way", with 3 kids and other responsibilities.

My 17 year old son texted me late last night asking if my car would be done by May 7th. In my groggy state I didn't sense what was coming: "That would be an awesome car to take to prom! No doubt it would be the best one there!" I didn't sleep well at all after that....
'69 X33 02D   Since 11-29-'77

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection. And perfection is no trifle.
~Ben Franklin

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 03:54:14 PM »
Dale...  it does help to have a 'milestone date' you work/plan for, even if you keep on missing those dates..  over and over..  :)    Call your painter and tell him you have a 'new date' of 7 May to be completed and driven to your son's prom.. :)

PS.   But if you make it, make sure your son knows:  1) no drinking at the PROM, and 2) to drive it straight home after the prom (or even before it's over), and exchange cars before the 'late night' happenings.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »
abiddle I think when you decide on a shop to do work like this you need to set some kind of a time table, or they will just do it in their spare time.
No matter how good the shop or the quality of the work is never use the phrase " Well I am in no big hurry, (so take your time)"

I think with a simple agreement on a completion date , you can stay in communication with the shop, and not have to circle like hawk waiting for more and more progress. Out here I think most pure paint shops rely on insurance work for there bread and butter, to pay the bills, and then have the bigger projects on the back burner somewhat. I am not sure what kind of shop you have it at.

I do about a car a year, (not full resto), they all range in a state of dis-repair or poor to very poor cosmetically, and I get burnt out from time to time, similar to you, I bide my time with searching for the needed parts on eBay and craigslist, and then yes I see another project that I like, well that usually is enough of a spark for me to push and turn out the finished product.

If the car is at the paint shop, you can recover the seats, clean up/lube window regulators, get your wheel/tire situation cleaned up and balanced. If there is any trim to send out to get straitened out, or polish the trim up myself. Another good way of making the time pass by, is fasteners. 1)Locating all the correct fasteners, and then replating them as necessary. There is many small pieces only you are going to be knowledgeable about on the finish(gloss), and color. Paint shops are great for the Macro resto portion, they usually fail on the Micro portion of the rest of the process, so get into the smaller details of you car things that make sense to do while the car is already getting paint. It may make sense, for you to grab the wheel wells and strip and prep them for the shop, or paint them yourself. It all depends how involved you want to be. I am not sure how much of your car they are taking apart for the work.
Hope this helps ;)

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »
I concur with all your good suggestions, Austin...  especially on the part re 'doing the small stuff' yourself, because most 'shops' do not handle those well.. ie. losing fasteners, small parts, etc..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69z27z87

• The garage - my happy place
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »
I hear ya....

I dropped by car off at the shop in Jan '15. They sent it to the blasters (who did not yet have the equipment they needed). I would stop by every Saturday to see if the car was back....The car was  not blasted until September! (when the blaster got the right equipment). Now its back at the shop and slowly progressing but some surprises have slowed us down. I wanted my car back with body and paint complete LAST fall... now we are targeting THIS fall.... I keep myself sane by working on the hundreds of parts I took off the car spread around my basement.. De-rusting, painting, powdercoating.... etc...I think everything will be ready once the car comes back....
1969 SS396 - L35, Z87 Daytona Yellow, Yellow Houndstooth, Black Vinyl top
1992 Z28 - LB9 Purple Haze, T-5WC, grey leather interior

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 06:26:48 PM »
Very excellent pep talk. Austin, a sincere thank you because honestly I haven't driven that part of the restoration. I do need to organize the chrome that needs rechromed and checking all my trim pieces. And I can clean the areas of the seats and windage and panels where I couldn't reach before. He's been putting me off for doing the chrome and trim, but I can go in and press that part myself. Its all stripped off the car. That will keep me busy and also in front of him.

We do have a "contract" and we split the payments into 4ths, with a planned completion date in May. I wasn't very aware of how fast he could get through the stripping so he has half the money already, and I think the bulk of the work ahead of him. I understand he has to make money and I see other projects lining up and getting stripped pretty quick. What I don't want is a rush job in the end to meet the May date. I think your suggestion on the little pieces I can do now will put me back in his shop with a good reason. I haven't been visiting because there hasn't been any progress.

Thanks - great advice.

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
my car was gone just over 2 years and I am about ready to set the engine in. Painter had some health problems and nothing I could do about it. It is frustrating but there are horror stories where people get charged and nothing gets done. My guy was very fair in billing me at the end of the month for what he did.  Also, dont be surprised if the costs are more than you expect. Very common and then you run into issues that werent known. I will have to find a special car to do this again!  Bad thing is I have the 61 chrysler sitting in the shop mostly apart. Guy who makes the sheetmetal wont get my parts done and the other guy that has all the interior parts is a year behind on getting that stuff to me. No more chryslers I am sure!!
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 08:20:44 PM »
It takes me about 2 months start to finish to do a complete paint job, blowing the car into pieces, fixing the issues, stripping etc...  I'm a one man show (with help from my son when he can)  And I try to take one car at a time, (although I have 3 here right now  :o)  I try to avoid that because it bogs me down.

A big shop with multiple people along with doing insurance work (usually the bread and butter for big shops) will make the restoration work a bit slow and usually it takes a back seat.  3 months at a shop like that, at this point isn't bad....yet.  It can drag out however.   Body repair and paint does take some time to do it properly, especially paying close attention to the smaller details, finishes, etc... depending on the type of restoration you are doing.

Great suggestions here, keeping yourself busy with the small stuff now and having it ready for when the car is back to you and painted.  Don't get discouraged, it will all be worth it when you get it back.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 09:48:35 PM »
Very excellent pep talk. Austin, a sincere thank you because honestly I haven't driven that part of the restoration. I do need to organize the chrome that needs rechromed and checking all my trim pieces. And I can clean the areas of the seats and windage and panels where I couldn't reach before. He's been putting me off for doing the chrome and trim, but I can go in and press that part myself. Its all stripped off the car. That will keep me busy and also in front of him.

We do have a "contract" and we split the payments into 4ths, with a planned completion date in May. I wasn't very aware of how fast he could get through the stripping so he has half the money already, and I think the bulk of the work ahead of him. I understand he has to make money and I see other projects lining up and getting stripped pretty quick. What I don't want is a rush job in the end to meet the May date. I think your suggestion on the little pieces I can do now will put me back in his shop with a good reason. I haven't been visiting because there hasn't been any progress.

Thanks - great advice.
Yes indeed, you have weeks of work u can be working on and the list is at times seems endless.  Has the shop done work like this before? What about your hardware? Re-phosphate? Have fun!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:21 PM »
I hit it in spurts, and the " to do list" does seem to grow, but that's really just based on your own expectations.
Lol, finally got to re-phosphate fasteners 2 weeks ago, looked up some old posts for reference. Would have sworn maybe a year at most went by since I asked questions, try a couple. On a side note, steering box, pitman arm and rag joint back from Camaro Specialties. Sent it out  as a unit just to have the box gone through. He gave it the full "resto" treatment, looks wonderful!

Progress is always progress.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 11:27:57 PM »
My question is are you wanting a full nut and bolt resto or just a good repaint and make it a nice driver?

abiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 11:44:12 PM »
This is a GREAT paint and very nice driver. The car is "only" an SS350, but it is all original numbers matching. Yet its investment value doesn't support a full nuts and bolts restoration. And that's not my need, I want to drive this car to shows, park it and walk around. I need a driver for weekend fun. But I am using original or NOS stuff for everything (except the quarters being replaced), so I'm not cutting corners (and I collected before NOS was so expensive).

I see he's doing everything right, he did remove all of the interior. He stripped everything to the metal. He's doing full quarters to alleviate some prior work in the quarters. I know it takes time, I'm just struggling with it.

The suggestion to keep busy with all the pieces was great, I will be down at the shop tomorrow pulling stuff together.

Thanks!

anything