Author Topic: Black Firewall Paint  (Read 73475 times)

Pex68

• View Profile
Re: Black Firewall Paint
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 10:12:24 PM »
DEFINATELY the VIN, I thought they all had it.  I've had numerous Camaros over the years, mostly second gen, and can attest that all second gens had them there.  Still have a 78 & 80, KNOW its there on those cars.
Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 07:00:58 AM »
Not sure on 68 but in 67 LOS didn't use hidden VIN's. I beleive that 68 didn't either.

Buddy
That would be incorrect. I have pics of partial VINs from both 67 & 68 LOS cars.
Kurt S
CRG

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 01:51:16 PM »
There are no hidden VIN's on my 67 LOS car. I can't remember my research but I was told that LOS didn't use hidden VIN's.  Maybe someone here has a LOS car with hidden VIN's? ANYBODY?

Now I have to research again....aarrgg!!   thx John >:( :D

Buddy

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 01:55:09 PM »
Sorry Kurt, missed your post. I would love to see a Pic of the 67 LOS hidden VIN.   Why would my LOS car not have it? Beleive me I looked hard.

Thx
Buddy

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 02:10:27 PM »
This was my original post from the old board "Partial Vin #s (views: 1) -- Buddy67 -- 19-February-02, 12:00"

Bill replied that some LOS cars had no VIN stamp on the cowl but probably under the heater. This is what I thought I remembered but why does my car have no VIN stamps? There is some markings under the heater but not VIN. I will post a pic asap for some hopeful help.

Thx
Buddy

GIBSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 02:29:53 AM »
 ;)  My los 67 has the vin by the blower motor, The inside of the right rear frame rail, and on the underside of the tunnel, (can't remember exactly where)

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 06:49:52 AM »
anybody  heard of partial vin#s on the frame rails,tunnel or anyplace else besides the cowl and the heater blower area thats a first for me.I'm not doubting you Gibster just never heard that before.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 09:15:34 PM »
GIBSTER,
Can you post pics of the VIN's in those locations?
Kurt S
CRG

GIBSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 08:41:38 PM »
While I was sandblasting the bottom of my 67 is when I saw the numbers and just figured they were vin #s. they are not.The only one that is a vin is under the blower motor housing. sorry for my confusion 

69z28rsbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 02:51:44 AM »
if you are missing the hidden vin under the blower motor heater box, look directly down from where the the vin is supposed to be,and look way down where the sheetmetal angles back,sometimes you will find a partial vin there.sorry dont have any pictures.
i have found this to be true on 2 early build 69 camaros.
X33 72 72 RS
X33 71 71 RS
X33 10 10

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2005, 06:06:53 PM »
Hey guys,

New to the forum but I wanted to add on this one. I have a 12C 68 RS that is Tuxedo Black and was original paint and unrestored when I purchased it in 04. I had wondered the same thing about the firewall black because when I disassembled the car I noticed the firewall was fairly shiny for being 35+ years old. I've seen other lighter colored cars and noticed the very "rough" black paint edge at the top of the firewall. It may be a little more practical that a black car wouldn't get the 30% black treatment. Any other Tuxedo owners out there?

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 11:35:49 PM »
I'm still convinced that although 99.5% of the cars got the blackout, some did not.  68 was a strike year at GM and I've been told that it's not uncommon to find all sorts of "strange" things on cars that year.
Still want more Sequoia Green owners to chime in :)
Chris P

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2006, 01:41:58 AM »
Chris,
If I remember correctly you have said that you plan on entering this car in Bowtie judging this year at Carlisle?

I've seen your car and it's extremely nice and I'm not taking anything away from it but if you plan on having it judged in the higher classes such as Bowtie I want you to know that without supporting documentation (which I believe does not exist) you will loose major points for that painted firewall. And I highly doubt you will be able to convince the judges that the painted firewall is correct.

I have yet to see a Camaro come through the upper levels of judging without a blacked out firewall.

Again I am not taking anything away from your car but just want to give you a heads up.

Rick H.

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2006, 03:00:59 AM »
Rick,

I hear where you’re coming from and appreciate the heads up.  I talked to allot of people at Carlisle last year and was told the same thing by all of them and all asked if I had photo documentation and then was still told by some that it didn't matter!  Do you think the photos posted above will not be enough supporting documentation and if not what would be?  I honestly believe (since I am the on who took the car apart) that the firewall had the original paint on it and was never re-sprayed.  I seriously doubt that someone would re-produce the crayon marks by the blower hole if it was re-sprayed.  I wish I had known about Jerry M and that he was right in Maryland at that time because I would have asked him to come up to look at it before I went any further.  Can't turn back time so now I'm stuck deciding whether I should stick to my belief or bite the bullet and do what everyone say's is correct.    Thanks for the compliments on the car too!
Chris P

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2006, 03:15:53 AM »
I asked this same question a couple of years ago concerning my Sequoia Green car. When I took everything off of the firewall during the most recent restoration (there have been a few of them over the past 27 years), there was body color on the firewall. Things like the blower box, master cylinder, accelerator rod bracket, etc. did not have black paint under them. I repainted it green and did not use any blackout. It may not be correct, but as near as I could tell at the time, that's the way it was when it left the factory.

Just re-read this thread again and not sure why I didn't ask before but JohnKY, if your out there, do you have any pic's from when you pulled your car apart???  That would help a great deal.  Also, what answers did you get when you asked around?

Thanks, Chris.
Chris P