Author Topic: Black Firewall Paint  (Read 73443 times)

RickH

• View Profile
Re: Black Firewall Paint
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 03:19:56 AM »
Chris,
I honestly do not think that the photos will prove anything to the judges. I also believe that Jerry or anybody else would have told you to paint the firewall if you plan on having the car judged.
The car is extremely nice and I believe I also mentioned that to you last year as well. (I own the 67 Granada Gold RS).

I have seen body color (very faint) under the blower motor and the same markings in the corner cowl sections on a few cars  but I have not seen a body colored original firewall. Believe me I have had access to a lot of 67-69 Camaros the past few years.

You did a great job on the car and to be honest if you want to score big this year I would paint the firewall correctly. If you plan on going higher in the judging I would seriously consider it. That is only my opinion and it's your car so you be the judge. No pun intended.

Giood luck and I will see you at Carlisle.

Rick H.

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 03:34:21 AM »
Rick,

Thanks for the advice; I do remember talking with you now (bad with names, good with cars!)  I see I have a big dilemma now! 

Any chance you still have some of those trunk light wiring clips laying around??? ;D ;D ;D

Chris P
1968 Sequoia Green SS 396/325 M20

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 03:50:42 AM »
Chris,
I just might have a couple of those clips, I'll look this weekend. They are very hard to come by.

Rick H.

Brian K

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2006, 05:26:16 AM »
Rick's Camaro new 2006 now has the correct trunk light clips, they where also used on 63-67 Corvettes on the rad support to hold the wire for the horns.

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 04:38:46 PM »
The clips Rick shows in the catalog are not correct. The correct clip is half the size and is rubber coated on one half to protect the wire.

Chris, I have a couple of the correct clips for you.

Rick H.

Brian K

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2006, 01:07:32 AM »
Sorry Rick but on page 121 of the new 2006 Ricks catalog he does have the correct trunk light clips number HW-10 price $8.95 for 3 (just like your correct description). I know this becase my 67 has these same clips (only 2 when I bought the car back in 1979 I found a third on a original mid year corvette rad support). I alway check the new catalogs when they come out for correct items. Last years book didn't have them it has the style you referenced to as being long and wrong, which is on page 115 of that catalog and has the same part number HW-10 but price is $10.95 and they are wrong. I've also seen them for sale on eBay by that Jkeefe guy who is always selling Nos Camaro bolts. Sincerely Brian

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2006, 01:34:56 AM »
I just want to thank Chris for starting this great discussion.  I learned a lot just reading through it.
A word about documentation: I went through an AACA judging school last year, mainly for my own edification.  While their judging is not model specific, they are very strict about what they accept for documentation.  It must be information from the manufacturer.
If there are any recognized Camaro judges out there, it would be great to know their standards.  Before the juding school, I would have said they should have told Chris those things.  But I now know only the head judge is supposed to talk to the car owner, and that is done only if the owner asks.
Also, after hearing these guys say what a great looking car Chris has, I'd love to see some pictures!  I remember 68 well.  Green was cool in 68.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2006, 10:11:59 AM »
Lakeholme,

Thanks, think we all learned a little, I know I did!!!
I would like to thank everyone who chimed in, that's what makes it great! ;D
Here's some Pic's of my car from Englishtown last fall.

Chris P

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2006, 02:21:06 PM »
Brian,
Well I'll be, they sure do look correct. Must have grabbed the 2005 catalog. But are they original???  ;D ;D

Chris, I'm dropping a couple original clips in the mail for you.

Rick H.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2006, 06:23:22 AM »
I do not understand why he is being told to restore his car in a different manner then how it left the factory. (appeasing judges just to make the car fit their idea of a correct restoration does nothing to advance our or anyone else's knowledge of the vehicles and their subtle differences)
Everyone is continuosly learning more and more... If it left the factory with a Sequoia oversprayed firewall then that is how it should be restored... to hell with the judges.

I'll step down off my soap box now...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2006, 05:01:12 PM »
I'll step down off my soap box now...
lol  :)

I feel for what your saying firstgenaddict, but an equally valid argument would be that we should restore our cars to factory specification.
If the factory spec called for the firewall to be blacked out to the top edge, then perhaps that's how it should be restored.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 08:55:58 PM »
I do not consider that an equally valid argument. But that is just MHO.
If we are going to become educated about these cars we have to be willing to accept things other than the "norm".
They were production automobiles built by humans... and unless you are my wife... humans make mistakes.
In Jerry's book there is a factory photo of a white striped Z and there is HEAVY white overspray all the way down the firewall,
What would the judges say about that car? What if they were provided with the factory photo?
The disassembly photos of the Sequoia Green car's firewall are compelling evidence that the car was built that way...
When a car show judge says that he "knows" how the car was built, and is not open to alternatives, few of the current collectors/judges (short of JohnZ) were ever in the plants when the cars were being built.

ONCE AGAIN... I will say that if you had a time machine and traveled back and bought a brand new 69 Z brought it to the present and put it in a car show...IT WOULD NOT EVEN PLACE.

My opinion is that if you are going to over restore it... you might as well just chrome everything... both ways are incorrect!
James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

mr396

• View Profile
    • 1968 camaro SS 396 RS convertible
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
Not ony would it NOT EVEN PLACE, The 1969 Yenko clone next to you wins 1st place for original restored. ???
1968 camaro RS/SS L34 396 air convertible

Pex68

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2006, 04:47:19 AM »
Well it took long enough for SOMEONE to reply that has the same feelings as me!!!!  THANK YOU firstgenaddict!!!
I ended up leaving the Sequoia green firewall for Camaro Nationals this year and thanks to the exposure on this forum and some awesome judges at the show I didn't loose any points for it in Bowtie (although I did take some grief from ONE of the Judges :D) and ended up with 965/1000!!!!  I even got Best of Show for all of GM Nationals from USMCF (United States Muscle Car Federation) ;D ;D ;D  I did grab Jerry and asked his opinion on what would happen in Legends and he said I would loose MAJOR points in that class due to the firewall and photos did not matter.  I found this very discouraging and now have the dreaded decision once again on what to do.  I really am proud of my car and all the attention it gets since all the work has been done myself except the paint and really wanted to take it as far as I could but like I said, I KNOW the firewall was body color, not black, and I really don't want to paint it black because that's the way it "should have" been.  I'm not looking for the points to bring value to the car either 'cause I'll never sell it.  It's more about pride.

Thanks for all the views and replies and keep them coming, I get a stupid joy out of starting the thread with most views!!!!! 
Chris P

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2006, 07:01:22 AM »
Exactly... you did your research and you know how it came.
Ideas are only radical and their promoters are labeled crazy when the ideas are not believed by the masses... once an idea is accepted you don't have to risk anything (pride, ego, reputation) in order to embrace it. 
James

anything