Author Topic: Category for 1st Gen. Drag Raced Camaros??  (Read 31350 times)

Bryan302

• View Profile
Category for 1st Gen. Drag Raced Camaros??
« on: December 25, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
What would be the chances of a new category in "model specific discussions" with the title of DRAG RACED CAMAROS, period 1st gens raced in the NHRA, AHRA, etc.  I refer to the historic Strickler, Jenkins, Wenzel, Beeler, Harrell, Gibb, etc.  How many 67, 68, 69 Z/28's and COPO's, etc. were dealer or individually campaigned for drag racing that are not known by all?  How many?  Who were they?  Are they ALL known?  Dealer Advertisements?, etc.

I just thought it would be very nice to have a category similar to the Trans AM Camaros for drag raced camaros!  If the spot was made for it, could it be an ongoing project?

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan S.
1968 RS Z/28, 12E, PNT R2, TR 749
1969 Z/28 X33, 05A, PNT 52 52, TR 719, endura bumper

ds1

• View Profile
Re: Category for 1st Gen. Drag Raced Camaros??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:34:54 AM »
I have a Super Stocker from the late 70's.   Two time world NHRA champion Joe Scotts first Super Stock car a 67 RS 327 SS/JA

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »
What would be the chances of a new category in "model specific discussions" with the title of DRAG RACED CAMAROS, period 1st gens raced in the NHRA, AHRA, etc.  I refer to the historic Strickler, Jenkins, Wenzel, Beeler, Harrell, Gibb, etc.  How many 67, 68, 69 Z/28's and COPO's, etc. were dealer or individually campaigned for drag racing that are not known by all?  How many?  Who were they?  Are they ALL known?  Dealer Advertisements?, etc.

I just thought it would be very nice to have a category similar to the Trans AM Camaros for drag raced camaros!  If the spot was made for it, could it be an ongoing project?

Thanks,
Bryan
I think its a great idea considering as you noted many of the days high performance Camaro's were used up for Drag Racing. Heck, that is why many of us bought them. Hopefully Bryan your suggestion will be considered.
Good on ya! :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:09:33 PM »
You have my vote Bryon.  Drag racer at heart here, not much for the road race stuff (never really appealed to me) but since we have a Trans Am section it seems only fitting to see a drag race section documenting the other side of the coin.

camaro jock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:17:34 PM »
Great idea first gen Camaros were kings of the drags back in the day and still see a few today you have my vote Bryan look forward to it thanks Darell

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »
I refer to the historic Strickler, Jenkins, Wenzel, Beeler, Harrell, Gibb, etc.  How many 67, 68, 69 Z/28's and COPO's, etc. were dealer or individually campaigned for drag racing that are not known by all?  How many?  Who were they?  Are they ALL known? 

For every one of the "historic" Camaros that can be identified, there are many thousands of examples that have been vigorously campaigned on drag strips across the country.  Many are enshrined in the popular literature but even more have competed in near-anonymity, simply for the love of the sport.  How many did you have in mind?

Nikke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 03:52:31 AM »
Great idea first gen Camaros were kings of the drags back in the day and still see a few today you have my vote Bryan look forward to it thanks Darell

X3
Nikke

Bryan302

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »
Good Deal, Interest!  Now lets sweet talk the CRG into a category beside Trans Am Camaro's to get this started!

I have one sensible suggestion though, for a first generation camaro to be eligible for this category, the car itself had to be ORIGINALLY campaigned in 1967 thru 1969 and into the early seventies.  If it retired and was brought back later, that's fine.  I know there were many camaro's that started drag racing in the eighties and nineties, they were not originally campaigned!

For those of you that have them, lets see 'em.  Original Photo's too.  Just my 2cents.

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan S.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
Bob Johnson with Scuncio Cheverolet appeared to campaign a lot. There pictures If you google Scuncio.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Bryan302

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 07:37:46 PM »
CNorton,

I missed your question at first, "just how many did you have in mind".  Well, I realized there were thousands, but how many are left in tact, with history and original photo's, (original photo's and now photo's).  There were those that were extremely popular and are the ones we see most in the magazines.  The ones that I would like to see are the ones that were not all over the magazines and the ones you are not going to ever see unless you were THERE at the time, originally, or shortly after.  I'm sure if this forum gets filled up, they can knock a hole in the wall and start expanding.  Let's see 'em.

Bryan
Bryan S.

X66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 03:55:43 AM »
I just glanced through the latest Musclecar Review magazine and saw pictures of a big block that sat for 40 years in a garage. The guy bought it for drag racing. Cool Camaro.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »
Thompson, National Trails, '42, and Norwalk(20 minutes away) are around here. When I was little, I thought that was what Camaros were built for. The second owner of my car actually bought the Z because while racing out at Norwalk, someone stole his Camaro out of the pits. He was in the stands...he watched it happen, couldn't catch them.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 04:08:08 PM »
Love Norwalk, raced there a few times.  Top notch facility and a hookin' track.

Great way to kick off this section as I find it interesting to see vintage photos of drag racing even with just us weekend worriors.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 04:53:50 PM »
LOL, Norwalk will spoil you for other tracks, Hats off to Bill Sr. and Jr. Did come close to not being at one time.
42 was trash in the end, Going to be great in the near future!!!  I like Thompson for the gasser stuff, left lane  takes you somewhat left out of the hole, but right back in the groove. No more hump at the end. Nice ride on return road,passes the grandstands. Never been to Columbus, long ride down. We did an event in NY....like street racing. 1/8 mile with like an 1/8 mile shut down before having to turn right.  2 foot braking!  I don't even remember a center line, lol.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 06:36:13 PM »
Can't beat the dollar ice cream at Norwalk!!   They still have that I assume?

I've been to Columbus and Indy a few times, been down Kil-Kare in Dayton many many times,  but most of my time was spent around Cincy tracks, Edgewater and Tri-State.