Author Topic: Astro Ventilation decals  (Read 12362 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Astro Ventilation decals
« on: December 01, 2006, 02:16:32 AM »
Ray Miller in Camaro: Classy Chassis shows pictures of the astro ventilation decals for both the driver and passenger's sides on the 68.  The 68 AIM doesn't even mention all those "extraneous" decals that most folks scraped off right after they drove the car home.  (Then again, some folks threw away the protecto plates...)  What do the members think about those astro ventilation decals?  Is that taking originality too far?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Astro Ventilation decals
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 04:50:39 AM »
Phil,

They weren't decals. The CRG REPORT on glass states:

Marking Method
LOF sand-blasted almost all glass marks with a stencil. The only exception was the early '68 model "Astro-Ventilation" mark, which used fired-on white ceramic paint [a thank you for this correction goes to Dan DelGratta of LOF]. Decals are incorrect. Also incorrect is reproduction glass that uses baked on black enamel for marking (often seen on modern glass).

You can read more on the glass report by clicking HERE.

Ed

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 04:53:04 AM »
As I recall my 68 Z28 which I had back in 1971, did not have ASTRO Ventilation decals, the wording was etched in the glass similar to the PPG window markings.  Am I remembering this correctly?

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:13:20 AM »
My '68 has them, and the decals seem to be imbedded in the glass for there is no edge to them. The glass is perfectly smooth. Is this the fired ceramic paint?, for the letters are white. Mine is a very early Norwood car if that helps. 
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 02:20:23 PM »
OK, I stand corrected...
Ed, in the end your post did lead me to what my real question should have been: Should my car have the marks? (And do I have original glass?)  Thanks to Rich's report the answer is most likely "no" to the first question.  My 68 is not an early build.  (And I'm going to take Rich's report and answer the original glass question this afternoon.)
Thanks, CRG!

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 03:32:27 PM »
Phillip:

My car is an 06C build and one window has the etching and one doesn't.  Interestingly the one that does is clearly the original door but the glass was a little earlier.  The drivers door was replaced at some point in the cars life prior to my getting it and has no etching.  If you search back you will find my post on this from probably nearly two months ago that has my glass dates on it.  I can try to find it and repost the glass dates.  I wouold like mine to match and personally I like the etching, kinda cool.
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 07:51:59 PM »
Mark, I found your post.  I figured out yesterday from Rich's report that my car should not have the Astro Ventilation markings (later build date of 12D, according to Rich's report probably a little late).  I've got the same situation that you have on glass = driver's side is original (and no marking), passenger is a PPG replacement.  I think the AV markings are cool looking, too. If nothing else, its very 60s looking.  What threw me off originally was that several suppliers offer a repo. decal.
If you could get a good close up picture of the AV marking, I'd love to see it!
Thanks guys!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 07:56:21 PM by lakeholme »

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:05:48 PM »
Don't know if this helps but my '68 has its' original glass (RPO A01 - Soft Ray Tinted, All Windows) which is dated March 68.  It does not have any Astro Ventilation markings.  My car's build date is 04A.
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 03:49:13 PM »
Phillip:

I will try to get a good picture later this afternoon.  Here is the date code infromation for my glass.  Not sure why my 06C date car would have original glass from September of 67 but it does.  probably some left around as we all know from our research that GN did not use a FIFO system for their inventory.  I wonder if I could ever find a drivers side glass with the AV etching?

Here is the date code and information off my windows:

Right side:      SOFT-RAY
              SAFETY  L    FLO-LITE
                  AS-2   O   AZ-10
                             F
                 SOLID TEMPERED
                       M74

Left side:      SOFT-RAY
              SAFETY  L    FLO-LITE
                  AS-2   O   LX-10
                             F
                 SOLID TEMPERED
                        M74

So one window is from September of 1967 (with Astro-Ventilation graphic fired on inside of window) and one is from March of 1968 (without Astro Ventilation graphic)

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »
Mark et al...

Yes, the late cars have been seen with one of three configurations:

1. No Astro Vent logo on either door glass.
2. Only one window with the Astro Vent logo (drivers or passengers side. Both have been seen.)
3. Both windows with the Astro Vent logo.

My 05D Los Angeles built car also has earlier glass on it (both fronts are "TZ" which is August, 1967, and both rear quarters are NX-10 (January, 1968). It's assumed that both factories had "left-over" glass and had to use them up. They were "supposed" to match the glass (one Astro Vent should have been fired onto a later glass to match the earlier one), but this didn't always happen, hense one with and one without the logo.

Very early and very late cars always seem to have anomolies that defy the normal rules.

Ed
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 05:19:47 PM by bertfam »

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 02:29:24 AM »
Phillip:

Here is a quick picture of my window etching.

Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 02:17:43 PM »
Thanks, Mark.  I cannot really tell because the angle looks a little different from the two pictures in Miller's book, but how far from the front edge of the window does the etching extend? 

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 05:17:10 PM »
Phillip:

i will try to measure that up tonight.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 01:39:37 PM »
Thanks, Mark.  I cannot really tell because the angle looks a little different from the two pictures in Miller's book, but how far from the front edge of the window does the etching extend? 

Checked my RH glass, measuring along the bottom of [parallel to] the 'Ventilaion' letters, the lower end corner of the N [last letter] is exactly 2" from the glass edge's outer most point - top of radius.

The logo length, measuring along the top of the 'Ventilation' letters, from the top end corner of the 'N' to the fartherest extremity of the 'A' in Astro, measures 3 9/32"
The white lettering is slightly proud of the glass, you can feel them as you run your finger over them.

I have a spare non Astro M74 glass with VZ - 10 code - Dec 67
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:43:05 PM by My68SS »
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »
Thanks for that information!  You even answered my "yet to be asked" question about the feel of the etching.

anything