Author Topic: Fuel Tank Resto  (Read 16201 times)

HawkX66

• View Profile
Fuel Tank Resto
« on: July 23, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »
I'm trying to save my original fuel tank and need some input. The exterior is pretty rough, but even the fuel sending unit is mint inside. There is zero internal corrosion. I have a media blaster with Aluminum Oxide and it does an amazing job on anything I throw at it. The tank hasn't had fuel in it since 2008. I know, I know... I was thinking about filling it with water just in case and sealing up the filler and sending unit hole to blast it. My cabinet is big enough. Thoughts and suggestions? Here's a few pics:

Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Tank Resto
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »
Clean all the debris and gunk off the tank.  Then take evaporust soaked papertowels and lay on the tank while getting all the air bubbles out and make sure all the nooks and crannies are covered then wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap to seal out the air and in the evaporust..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
I am with you on that step Darrell. So lets say you have gone that route, what would you (or anyone else) recommend on the spots that the galvanized finish has come off, and to prevent the corrosion from coming back? (I am in a similar situation with my tank.)
One thought Rustolium spray paint, they make it in a galvanized finish?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 04:59:12 PM »
Clean all the debris and gunk off the tank.  Then take evaporust soaked papertowels and lay on the tank while getting all the air bubbles out and make sure all the nooks and crannies are covered then wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap to seal out the air and in the evaporust..
Do you think it's worth the Evaporust process? I would definitely go that route if I were trying to save the galvanizing, but I think it's long past that at this point. I just wanted to strip all the rust and get it good and clean. I'd like to give the process you did at try where you sprayed it with Duplicolor chrome. I thought that came out pretty good.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »
I am with you on that step Darrell. So lets say you have gone that route, what would you (or anyone else) recommend on the spots that the galvanized finish has come off, and to prevent the corrosion from coming back? (I am in a similar situation with my tank.)
One thought Rustolium spray paint, they make it in a galvanized finish?

Its personal preference but if you are wanting to save the galvanized look I would just clear the tank in a satin or matte finish.

Do you think it's worth the Evaporust process? I would definitely go that route if I were trying to save the galvanizing, but I think it's long past that at this point. I just wanted to strip all the rust and get it good and clean. I'd like to give the process you did at try where you sprayed it with Duplicolor chrome. I thought that came out pretty good.

Same as to Bullit.  Just depends on what you want.  Mine was past the point of no return plus it had some dents that I could get out so I used glaze or icing on the low spots and primed it; let it dry; misted it with water & sprayed the chrome.  Once it was set up i just wiped off the water bubbles and misted it with chrome again.  Not perfect or correct but I like to do things my own way.   :o ;D

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »
do you have a finished pic of the chrome spray on your tank?

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 07:04:52 PM »
Ive used the Por patch on deep pits. Even some that were pit holed with good results. The tank on my 67 has some pits under the factory tar that Will need to be filled and sealed with the Por patch then re-coated with the undercoat. Por is impervious to gasoline.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
If you do go ahead and media clean your tank, instead of filling with water, try this: take a flexible length of hose (shop vac?) and slide one end over an exhaust pipe (of a running vehicle, that is), and the other end over the fill neck of tank, I guess you could clamp each end also.

Saw a guy weld/ braze on a gas tank doing this. Apparently, CO2 keeps from explosion as there is no air (oxygen , neccessary for fire to burn)  and fumes that that is what burns (just a fyi, liquid gasoline is non-flammable...it is the fumes that burn)
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 07:09:49 PM »
Good idea.

I have used the tried and true JB weld on gas tanks, as well as my huge parts washer tank, with no issues. I have filled a hole about the size of a penny on that , and it worked great. There is probably a few products for patting holes that will work.

I would like to see some of pics of what the gas tank looked like when done, and how close to original zinc they look

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 07:13:52 PM »
do you have a finished pic of the chrome spray on your tank?

Like I said its definitely not perfect but I liked the way it turned out.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
looks good. What brand of spray paint was it?
Did you experiment and try a clear, or any other finishes, before going with the chrome spray?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »
Nope, no experimenting.  Just knew that the duplicolor chrome requires a gloss black base to get the chrome effect and figured it would dull it down if I used a primer in its place. 

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
Same as to Bullit.  Just depends on what you want.  Mine was past the point of no return plus it had some dents that I could get out so I used glaze or icing on the low spots and primed it; let it dry; misted it with water & sprayed the chrome.  Once it was set up i just wiped off the water bubbles and misted it with chrome again.  Not perfect or correct but I like to do things my own way.   :o ;D
If mine comes out near as good as yours does I'll be more than happy. What was the purpose of misting the water?

If you do go ahead and media clean your tank, instead of filling with water, try this: take a flexible length of hose (shop vac?) and slide one end over an exhaust pipe (of a running vehicle, that is), and the other end over the fill neck of tank, I guess you could clamp each end also.

Saw a guy weld/ braze on a gas tank doing this. Apparently, CO2 keeps from explosion as there is no air (oxygen , neccessary for fire to burn)  and fumes that that is what burns (just a fyi, liquid gasoline is non-flammable...it is the fumes that burn)
Clearing out the gasoline fumes with a non-flammable gas is a good idea. I'm going to pass on this one though. It'd be a tough set up in my cabinet.

There's no dents or leaks in mine. Other than the surface rust it's in real good condition. There's just a little scale in a spot or two. Not bad. If I stick my nose in the filler neck there is no gas smell any longer. I emptied it out real well when I dropped the tank and the cap was off for quite a few years with just a bag keeping debris out. I think if I just take some basic precautions I should be good to go media blasting it in my cabinet.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
The reason for the water was to give the contrast of the chrome & primer but I probably wouldn't do it again..  Didnt really give the effect I wanted.  That is why after wiping the water off I sprayed the chrome again but not as heavy.  Its a shame more of us dont live closer..  I wouldnt mind helping others with little projects like this and for me to learn as well..   :D

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »
The reason for the water was to give the contrast of the chrome & primer but I probably wouldn't do it again..  Didnt really give the effect I wanted.  That is why after wiping the water off I sprayed the chrome again but not as heavy.  Its a shame more of us dont live closer..  I wouldnt mind helping others with little projects like this and for me to learn as well..   :D
Thanks Darrell and I couldn't agree more. The internet makes the world so small in a lot of ways, but even though I'd consider quite a few of you guys that I've never met in person friends, we can't shoot the bull or work on our cars together over a beer. Kind of a bummer... I appreciate the thoughts and ideas.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!