Author Topic: Fuel Tank Resto  (Read 16260 times)

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Tank Resto
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »
All of you have referred to a galvanized finish on the tank. I, too, referred Camaro tanks as galvanized and thought it was so until I took my tank to a radiator shop I use frequently for repairs. The owner, whose opinion I truly respect and value,  because he has done many world class restorations (Pebble Beach stuff). He told me the tanks were not galvanized, but rather have a tin / lead dipped finish. This proved true, because off the car,  the tank is moved around working on it and small scratches appeared quite quickly, because of the soft (lead) coating. I was told to clean it up with a piece of very fine steel wool (which worked, but go lightly as the coating is very thin). Do not breathe in the lead dust!  I only felt this was noteworthy, because we are into the facts about these cars, right?

The raw coil stock the tank was stamped from was "terne-coated" with that lead/tin alloy as a secondary operation after the steel rolling mill, prior to stamping the tank halves. Some folks think the tank is galvanized steel, but it's not.

Excellent points..  Learned something new today.   ;D
Ditto. Thanks guys.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

anything