Author Topic: Good time to inspect / repair ??? when the entire drive train is out  (Read 3451 times)

67rs327

• View Profile
I have the entire drive train out of my '67 L30/M20 and thought I'd get a few comments on what I should look to repair/replace while I have lots of room to work. Car is getting a new clutch (all associated parts like flywheel, bell housing, linkage, Saginaw, Hurst,  etc. rehabbed) I also installed new manifold flange studs. What else? Oil pan gasket? - Do I need go thru jacking the engine up to remove the pan?  Rear main is not leaking at all. Thoughts? Thanks.
1967rs L30/M20 Bolero Red - LOS 11A.
Chris - New Hampshire.

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Good time to inspect / repair ??? when the entire drive train is out
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  You might just give yourself a problem where there was none before.  Spend your time and money where it counts.  These cars are EASY to fix as needed down the road.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Just about every 'driver' 1st Gen I have seen needs upper control arm bushings. Usually cracked and crumbling. You would have to compress the springs to get the arms out but no better time than now.
Learning more and more about less and less...

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:26:29 PM »
Along the same line as William suggests, I will add, is replacing the sub frame bushings. I also agree with the advice of, "If it ain't broke...don't fix it.", as well.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

67rs327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:31:55 PM »
Thanks Gents. I have the subframe bushings on the list but think Ill leave it at that. Exhaust flange studs were in rough shape so needed replacing - no hope of spinning the old ones out even with heat as there was < 50% of material left where the stud met the flange......that turned into a drill and tap excercise x6.
 3/16 pilot followed by 5/16 followed by 3/8-16 tap incase anyone is looking for something to do for 4 HOURS.
1967rs L30/M20 Bolero Red - LOS 11A.
Chris - New Hampshire.

anything