Author Topic: PB Booster Hose Support Bracket  (Read 8201 times)

69 Zee

• View Profile
PB Booster Hose Support Bracket
« on: July 21, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
Awhile back, going thru some parts I discovered I had another brake booster hose bracket.  I compared it to my original bracket from my '69 Z.  To my surprise it's a dead ringer in every way, shape and form.  Even has the little tab at the top (near the hose hole).  EXCEPT,  it doesn't have the "AAC" stamp on it.  It even carries the same corrosive look as my Z's. 

I've never seen a repop look this good and it looks to old to be a repop.

Could this still be an original bracket without the "AAC" stamp ?  Were there also multiple suppliers for this bracket thus not having the "AAC" stamping ?

In the first pic you can see the bottom is my "AAC" stamped bracket.  And if I didn't indicate which was the AAC stamped bracket in the others,  I don't think you could tell which is which.

Thanks in advance
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: PB Booster Hose Support Bracket
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »
I have never seen one NOT stamped. I have seen MANY online for sale over the years. Which doesn't really mean anything. I have 3 of these, and my buddy has two. All 5 are stamped. But of course that is JUST 5 out of hundreds, maybe thousands. I will post a picture of the original one on my '68 Z/28. Then comparison photos with repro's.. By the way, yours does look original to me, but has slight differences in the casting... Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
repros next to originals... D

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »
more

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »
Yeah,  I have a repop also and there's no comparison.  As stated earlier, I've yet to see a repop come close to an original.  I believe Chevelle's, Nova's and most likely the Birds all used the same type bracket.  I just can't see them getting the same brackets but w/o a stamp, meaning I don't think only Camaro's got the "AAC" stamped brackets.  Or did they ?  I'd think they'd be all the same since there's nothing special to them.

Hmmmm !
Darrell
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
Numerous differences, but the location of the bend in the central part of the bracket is the most obvious way to identify the vast majority of repros.
I wonder if that non-stamped bracket is an original part. Other parts that were typically stamped AAc include the front and rear license plate brackets, my front one has the stamp but the rear does not. It's still original to the car, but many I have seen do have the stamp.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
 IMO, that unstamped bracket may very well be an original one that either has no stamp -or- it is lightly stamped in an alternate location.
 It looks too accurate to be a reproduction.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:10:42 PM »
I agree with the last statement. It has ALL the right looks to be an original. But again, I have never seen one not stamped. I would use it on my car no problem. D

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
Numerous differences, but the location of the bend in the central part of the bracket is the most obvious way to identify the vast majority of repros.
Tim, I agree.  That center bend is never correct on repros and is always crisp looking.  I'm away for the day but tomorrow I'll post another pic of the brackets inside one another.  They are an "IDENTICAL" fit as they would be if made from the same machine.  I'm 105% certain it's original, but to what ?  Weren't these brackets made for several years ?
Darrell

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 07:04:41 PM »
Heartbeat City reproduction bracket...

Paul

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
I bought one from Tamraz a few months ago just to see how it compared, and the bend was much closer to the location on the original brackets than the HBC, Paragon and various others. But still very easy to ID it as a repro.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »
IMO, that unstamped bracket may very well be an original one that either has no stamp -or- it is lightly stamped in an alternate location.
 It looks too accurate to be a reproduction.

Mike

I agree with Mike on this....   repros are never that accurate....  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
Here's the 2 brackets inside one another.   The "AAC" stamped bracket at the bottom .... Perfect fit !   :)  I also cleaned up the other with a brash brush and there's no markings anywhere.

I assume these brackets were made from a die and punch machine with the stamping incorporated.
Darrell

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »
I think you have another original just unstamped, good find
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »
The stamp on these brake hose brackets (where present) appears to always be in upper case letters (AAC), yet the stamp on the F&R licence plate brackets has upper case 'A's but a lower case 'c' (AAc). Anyone else noticed this? And what was the name of the manufacturing company that AAC/AAc represents?
Tim in Australia.

anything