Author Topic: New "Muscle Car" digital magazine available  (Read 47588 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: New "Muscle Car" digital magazine available
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 03:48:02 AM »
No problem, Steve. Honest mistake by somebody, possibly by Pete Luongo himself.

War Bonnet is down in Oklahoma and Continental Divide is in Colorado. No hills like that in Oklahoma!
Jon Mello
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »
I want the RAMP TRUCK!!!
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »

War Bonnet is down in Oklahoma and Continental Divide is in Colorado. No hills like that in Oklahoma!

Any chance either track still exists?

I want the RAMP TRUCK!!!

You know what, I'm surprised a 1-ton truck can handle the weight! Those trucks only have a GVWR of I think 10,000lbs. The truck eights probably 5000,+ 2,000 for the betal bed, at leaste, and then ~3,500? for the car....that's really pushin it hard!

Those trucks must have been going about 30mph up a hill!
Nick

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »

Thanks Jon, most of the images weren't labelled, which required me doing some research. Of course, this one was and I didn't double check it for correctness!

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »
Sadly, neither of these images were in the article. As is sometimes the case when constructing a historical article, the photos you're hoping to find turn up after the article has been published!

This was the case here. I recently made contact with a very nice guy called Derek Sutton, whose father Bill was an SCCA Tech Inspector for the NE region. It was Bill who snapped these pics, plus many others of both Trans-Am and Can-Am races. Sadly, it looks like many of the images have been lost or thrown away, but Derek is in the process of scanning and sending me all the known surviving Trans-Am pics, which at this stage, appears to total around 30 pics.

They're just amateur pics obviously, but still hugely enjoyable to see.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 04:15:12 AM »
Wow, those are really nice, Steve. Thanks to Derek for sharing them and to you for posting them here. It's fairly hard to find color photos from the '67 season.

That top photo really gives a good look at the cheater (extra tall) rear spoiler Donohue was using during the middle of the '67 season. I can't believe they let him get away with that.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 03:56:01 AM »
Wow, those are really nice, Steve. Thanks to Derek for sharing them and to you for posting them here. It's fairly hard to find color photos from the '67 season.

That top photo really gives a good look at the cheater (extra tall) rear spoiler Donohue was using during the middle of the '67 season. I can't believe they let him get away with that.

Good point Jon. I don't think I have seen that profile shot before. Only the rear angle with the stripe running down the tail panel and rear valance. I think that helped disguise the height. There's no hiding it from the side.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 01:25:58 AM »

Glad you like them Jon. Yes that cheater rear spoiler is quite obvious from this angle. And indeed you have to wonder how it is they got away with using it as long as they did. Its certainly not a subtle cheat.

Here is another pic, of Craig Fisher in his Camaro.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 01:36:46 AM »
Here is Donohue leading Ed Leslie in the Cougar. Leslie looked to be heading for victory before his motor blew. In the background is Jerry Titus' stricken Mustang, after it went clattering into another Mustang.

Jon, I would love to be able to tell you there was a pic of the Johnny Moore Camaro in amongst the pics Derek sent me, but sadly there isn't.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 04:17:31 AM »
Steve, that's the first picture that I've seen from Bryar where it looks like Craig Fisher could actually be the driver of the #77 Golden Mile car. I've seen pics of Gordon Dewar behind the wheel at that race but never CF. Craig told me personally that he didn't remember driving at that race and believed he had joined the Penske team at that time. Since there was duct tape over the #77 roundel covering up the "Mr Quiet" moniker, I felt it was very likely that Dewar was the only driver of the car at that race.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »
Sorry for the slow reply Jon, I've been on the road the last week and a bit.

Thats an interesting piece of info re the Fisher Camaro. I hadn't realised there was a chance Fisher wasn't in the car. I just made the assumption this was him.

Some of the images supplied were obviously taken during practice, such as the Penske Camaro shot above. In the race itself it rained, although it doesn't appear to have got heavy until some time after the start. But an image I have of the start shows the track to be slightly damp. I thought perhaps that photo could have been taken during practice, as the track is very dry.

Here is one from the race.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 09:15:30 PM »
Another Bill Sutton image, this one from the 1968 Bryar race.

Jon, is this is Skip Barber leading this gaggle?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2015, 02:41:55 AM »
Steve, yes that's Skip Barber's red Camaro with John McComb's Mustang close behind. Thanks for posting the photo!
Jon Mello
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2015, 06:09:13 AM »
any update on this being available on a Macbook yet?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 02:14:53 AM »
Hi everyone, we have now completed the quite sizable task of rebuilding the magazine using a new platform that supports both tablets as well as laptop/desktop computers. We're nearing the completion of Issue 2, but in the meantime, Issue 1 is now available to view, for FREE at our website. Just click on the Issue 1 cover at the bottom of the page: www.musclecardigitalmagazine.com