Author Topic: New "Muscle Car" digital magazine available  (Read 47591 times)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Re: New "Muscle Car" digital magazine available
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2016, 12:30:06 AM »
We've nearly completed Issue 2 of the magazine. Its been a tough road, with various challenges along the way. But we're nearly there, and expect to have each of the following issues available every 2 months, all going to plan.

One of the late additions to Issue 2 are a small number of photos kindly sent to me by Randy Hernandez, from his father Fran's collection. These are of the 1969 Kar-Kraft Mustang race car prototype. The photos are dated December 14, 1968. The car is just beautiful from every angle, and the detail and incredible panel fit is enjoyable to see. The droop nose is also really obvious to see from this angle.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »
Steve,

That's a gorgeous shot of that Kar-Kraft Mustang. Thanks for posting it.

I'm really looking forward to Issue 2. I know you have put a tremendous amount of work into it.
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »
Yes, thank you Steve. Just hurry up....

running out of drool over here.

(What an amazing shot, looks like it was taken yesterday)
Nick

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2016, 07:42:47 PM »
Thanks guys. Issue 2 features a couple of NASCAR stock cars, including a Dodge Charger which raced at Le Mans in 1976, and the only known surviving 1964 Galaxie Holman-Moody team car. Stock car racing is not a subject I have intimate knowledge of, so the research required to compile these stories was really intensive. It definitely slowed the process. But I'm happy to say my knowledge on the subject now is much improved as a result!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 05:23:59 AM »
I love those old '60s Nascar racecars and look forward to the article on this one. I'm personally a big fan of racecars that are based off of production line vehicles.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2016, 04:58:58 AM »
I love those old '60s Nascar racecars and look forward to the article on this one. I'm personally a big fan of racecars that are based off of production line vehicles.

Ditto

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »

Yeah, me too! Its interesting to see how quickly stock car racing progressed during this period. For 1963, Ford supplied complete turn-key Q Code 4V 427 cars, which Holman-Moody then converted into race cars. For 1964, Ford supplied the cars without engine or transmission. But for 1965, Ford supplied bodies in white, and it was when these arrived in late 1964 H-M began applying their own VIN tags, because the supplied cars didn't have tags.

As some of the 1964 cars were still at the workshops when this process began, H-M attached VIN numbers to these cars too, including this one, which had spent the latter half of 1964 in the USAC stock car series, run by Mike Terrafino whose team rebuilt the car following a shunt at Atlanta.

This car was built as a 'guest car' by H-M. At the beginning of 1964, they had two main drivers in 'Fireball' Roberts and Fred Lorenzen, and a car was built for these two. Then a further two or three cars were also built and run at selected events with guest drivers, including this car, who had Cobra driver Skip Hudson at the wheel at Riverside, Bobby Marshman at Daytona, and Augie Pabst here at Sebring, as pictured.

This wasn't actually a Grand National race, rather a 250 kilometer (thats how it was described in period) FIA sedan race, which was a support race to the Sebring 12 Hour. Most of the cars entered were Group 2 cars, including a pair of Lotus Cortinas for Jim Clark and Dan Gurney. Walt Hansgen was also entered in a Falcon Sprint.

There was a Le Mans-style start in which the drivers had to run across the track, jump in their cars, and start racing. Because the door was bolted shut on the Galaxie, Augie had to climb through the window, hence his slow getaway. You can see him right down towards the rear. His was the only Galaxie in the race. But that didn't matter, he was leading by lap 2 and still in front at the end.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2016, 04:03:42 PM »
Neat info on the car, Steve.  With the 427 combined with Sebring's long straights, I am not surprised the car was in the lead by lap 2.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2016, 12:18:55 AM »
Sorry guys, I don't mean to bombard you all with a pile of Ford stuff, so will keep it to a minimum, but thought you might enjoy these two images, sent to me by Randy Hernandez.

These photos, as well as several others, were taken by Randy when his father Fran brought home a Ford GT40 in 1967. Heading up Fords racing programs at the time, Fran was regularly bringing home cool 'company' cars, but on this occasion, all the neighborhood kids flocked to have their photos taken with the GT40.

Thats Fran in the glasses. His wife, Randy's mother, is next to him, while Randy's younger brother Rick is in the green Giants t-shirt. Everyone else are neighbors.

The three Mercury Comets are all part of the Hernandez house-hold too.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
Neat photos, Steve. Thanks for posting.

Looks like Fran's neighbors were GM fans. Where did he live?
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
We're very excited to announce.....Issue 2 is now available!

Just click the Subscribe Today link towards the bottom of this page: www.musclecardigitalmagazine.com

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2016, 04:33:57 AM »
Wow, Steve. That issue is loaded with all kinds of cool articles! I really like that gold car on the cover.  ;D

Seriously, an awesome effort on your part, but how are you going to top this one?

Thanks for letting us know about it. Great job!
Jon Mello
CRG

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2016, 04:55:33 AM »
I let you have that one, Jon.  I'll take the British Green '68 RS Z/28 on the cover!

Paul

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2016, 06:00:30 PM »
Is this the same as the muscle car mag I get in the mail?

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »
Wow, Steve. That issue is loaded with all kinds of cool articles! I really like that gold car on the cover.  ;D

Seriously, an awesome effort on your part, but how are you going to top this one?

Thanks for letting us know about it. Great job!

Thanks Jon, much appreciated. Yes I just kinda had a gut feeling you might dig that gold Camaro. I can tell you its a pretty cool car!