Author Topic: FIA homologation : 1st gen Camaro in Trans-Am and International racing 1968-72  (Read 50888 times)

eb911

• View Profile
Here is another article of the March 1971 issue of Motorsport with the Brian Muir Camaro which competed in the 1971 BTCC and ETCC. Unfortunately no mention of a dry sump system.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I did not have a color copy of that article on the Wiggins Teape Camaro so thanks for posting it. That's the 2nd ex Penske Sunoco Camaro that Peter Reinhart took to Europe. It's really a shame no mention of a dry sump is made in either this article or the other one that featured the SCA Frieght Camaro. It makes the sleuthing job harder but we'll just have to keep looking. I've got an email out to Wolfgang Kohrn who runs the ponysite.de .  Since he is in Europe and has spent untold hours researching Mustangs and other touring and Trans-Am cars, he might have some answers and photos to help. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Well, Wolfgang was not able to provide an answer but he did suggest this French Camaro enthusiast website/forum as a place to ask the question.

http://www.autodiva.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1436

I am also going to inquire with another person to see if he might know something.
Jon Mello
CRG

eb911

• View Profile
I had already gone through the Autodiva thread on Camaro. I will post there to see if anybody has period pictures related to the dry sump system.

I was also wondering if the Camaro that entered the 12 hours of Sebring and 24 hours of Daytona were strictly identical to the Trans-Am cars for the 1968-1972 period ?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I was also wondering if the Camaro that entered the 12 hours of Sebring and 24 hours of Daytona were strictly identical to the Trans-Am cars for the 1968-1972 period ?

I honestly don't know the answer to that. My email has bounced to the person I was trying but I have some other people in mind that might be able to help. Have you inquired over at http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/ or at http://www.theroaringseason.com/forumdisplay.php?2-General-Discussion ?

Maybe also http://forums.autosport.com/forum/10-the-nostalgia-forum/ ?
Jon Mello
CRG

crazyamc

• View Profile
Don Yenko ran an A- Production 427 Camaro at Sebring in '69, but the SCCA Production car standards list it as a wet sump setup... I'm not familiar with IMSA rules...   Ken

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I got this response from a European racer and he provides some good insight...

"i know its not easy to get a FIA Appendix K Homologation . They have the original Homologation for the 68 Camaro here thats absolutly no Problem . The Problem is that when you try to use Parts that are not in this Papers then you have to show pictures and Papers from back then !! You cant use anything without that .
What i know for sure is that a DRY SUMP is NOT ALLOWED ! There is a 1st-gen Camaro in Austria and and this one have a Dry Sump ; No Chance for the Papers and no Chance to race in Appendix k .
The Upper A Arms must be original ! You can relocate the Mounting Points on the Frame ( but do it very good they dont like it :-) )
The Sway Bar is not a Problem i think . My way is to install a Sway Bar from a original Trans Am ( 1970 -81 ) and it works ! Looks stock too ! Buy it from Hotchkiss (Hollow ) and paint it like an old one :-)
Transmission Oil Cooler is not allowed but they dont make trouble about that ( most of the times ) For the Paperwork dont install it :-)
Aluminium Radiator ; Paint it Black :-)"
Jon Mello
CRG

eb911

• View Profile
Thanks guys.

As for Dry Sump systems, there are not allowed in G1 period (66-69), that is for sure. I try to homologate my car in G2 period (70-71), only because the dry sump systems were allowed by the SCCA from 1971.  As confirmed by your European racer, almost anything could be use under appendix K as long as you can prove it has been used in period. My guess is that from 1971, as dry sump were allowed, some teams moved to this.  The problem is that the 1st gen Camaro was already an old car, and that probably the top teams which could afford dry sump already had a 2nd gen Camaro in 1971. On the other hand many 1st gen Camaro were raced in the 12 hours of Sebring and 24 hours of Daytona in 1971 and I think at least one of them should have used dry sump.
I have noticed the following teams in 1971 racing a 1st gen Camaro at Daytona or Sebring :
- Ray Rimble / Houghton Smith
- C.C Canada / Joe Hines / Wilabur Pickett
- Richard Small / Robert Fordyce

Would you have any pictures of these cars in 1971 ?

crazyamc

• View Profile
as for  "aluminium" radiators-  Penske's Camaros (and Javelins) used the Corvette Harrison aluminum radiator and tank.... I love to hear my wife say 'aluminium'...  :)   Ken

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
It is possible to find pics of those cars from Sebring but to find an underhood shot is really difficult. The C.C Canada car was driven earlier in Trans-Am by Lance Pruyn and the Floyd Aaskov. Harry and Dan Lipetz had that car 10 years ago and sold it. I'll have to see if they might know if the car ran a dry sump when C.C Canada was driving it.
Jon Mello
CRG

yenkomark

• View Profile
  Regarding oiling systems in early Camaros...We sold a swinging oil pickup created at Yenko , versions for big and small block Chevys. A good addition for road racing before dry sump. I have drawings in my files. also stories about Donna Mae and Cookie Cannouth assembling them on Cookie's kitchen table.

eb911

• View Profile
I have just found a pictures of a 1969 Camaro driven by John Elliot in the 1971 Sebring 12 hours

Would anyone know of this car and its specs (especially if a dry sump system was fitted :-)) ?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
John's racing record indicates that car was 'entered' by Preston Hood Chevrolet'...  Several of the T/A races he ran were entered that same way... Preston Hood Chevrolet.  I assume that means the car was owned by Preston Hood Chevrolet..
PS.  He finished 24th in that race at Sebring in '71.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I have sent a message to Don Gwynne who co-drove the car with John Elliot in '71 and hopefully he will reply with some good information.
Jon Mello
CRG

eb911

• View Profile
I think the ex. Brian Muir Wiggins Teape Camaro might be the best car to look at as for my FIA homologation as it used to enter the European Championship (ETCC) with international races and it was at the same time an ex. Penske Trans-Am car (best of both worlds).
Anyone would have a contact with an ex. member of the Wiggins Teape Camaro crew? I read somewhere that a Pete Barley was working on the car in period.