Author Topic: FIA homologation : 1st gen Camaro in Trans-Am and International racing 1968-72  (Read 50807 times)

GregJ

• View Profile
For any issues on compliance to FIA rules see this URL, it lists all Appendix J rules for homologaition and those areas that may be modified for each category and for each year, all in PDF printable form.  If you are pecifically looking for 1971 FIA rules look under 1971 .  In 1971 FIA group 2 is the same car homolgation group as Trans Am SCCA.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/whistj?open&lang=a

I think all of your questions are answered there as well as being able to verify and substantiate any modification you make - if legal.

Greg J

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Thanks for posting that article. It saves me from having to dig it out. I had recalled it had a picture of the engine and I thought it had a dry sump but you're right that the text gives no mention of it. There is something at the front LH side of the engine where you would expect a dry sump pump but it appears to be for power steering instead. I guess we'll have to keep digging.

The steering box doesn't appear to have hoses going into the top of it, the two hoses near it appear to be routed towards the oil filter location (either for a remote filter set up or Dry sump)

Also the mounting of the upper A-arm appears to be spaced off the subframe, I take it this is to correct the suspension geometry?
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

eb911

• View Profile
This was our first race this past week-end in the Heritage Touring Cup championship on the ex. Formula 1 track in Dijon (France). For those who are not familiar with this track (there might be some), here is a link to the most famous Formula 1 battle in history in Dijon in 1979 between Rene Arnoux and Gilles Villeneuve : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pMkYK2d_GI

As for our race, we qualified 8th out of 25 cars which was a big result for a first race with the car. The BMW CSL are too fast for us but the car was surprisingly well balanced, sliding but not too much. We solved the brake problems and are now trying to improve them a bit (this is the weak point of the car).
For the race, due to two withdrawals following engine problems, we started 6th, and passed an ex.works BMW 635 Csi on the starting line, getting on 5th place in the first lap ! Unfortunately an electrical problem in the second lap cost us 20 minutes. We finally fixed the issue and finished 10th. I have to say that only 10 cars did finish the race ! Anyway, it was already an achievement to finish on our first outing.
The car is a blast to drive !

Few picture of the event :

eb911

• View Profile
Few more :

eb911

• View Profile
Dash :

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Nice pics. Thanks for posting them. I'm very glad to hear you had a good outing with the car over the weekend
and that you think it's a blast to drive. I see the HTA tag on the dash. Is this the car once owned by Andy Scheer?
Jon Mello
CRG

eb911

• View Profile
Yes it is.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
You've done a nice job and I hope you continue to have fun with it.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Hi Eric, those photos look great! Must have been a fun event. I remember seeing that car when it was advertised. The flares are quite distinctive. Great to know its being enjoyed in Europe now. How did you get on with your dry sump issues? Are those BMWs allowed to use slick tires?

I am probably wrong about this but when that Camaro was advertised for sale, was it fitted with a Jerico or Tex Racing gearbox? Maybe I am thinking of another car.

OG69Z

• View Profile
Eric, your car looks great and a wonderful first outing! I'm anxious to hear how you solved your brake issues.

I ran across some photos of your car before you bought it. You may enjoy seeing them here:
http://depraceprep.com/gallery/restoration.html

Robert

eb911

• View Profile
Yes it was advertised with a Jerico but I bought a rebuilt M22 from the seller.

The BMW are allowed to run slicks as any car from 1972 on the grid. This is a big advantage as we are using threaded tires (Avon CR6ZZ).

As for the brakes we did go through the caliper seals and installed Willwood racing pads. Now it brakes, but I am sure it still can be improved.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Thanks Eric. Is the jerico not allowed under Appendix K?

eb911

• View Profile
Unfortunately not, hence the purchase of the M22.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Oh ok, thats a shame. Christophe Schwartz said he had fitted a Tex Racing T101 box to his Hemi Cuda because it is similar to a T10. You can flat shift with a T101 because of the gears.

eb911

• View Profile
The ride height on the rear is little high on my car. Would you use lowering blocks to lower it ? Would there be any benefit in terms of handling ?

anything