Author Topic: Fender Flaring On Trans-Am Camaros  (Read 23682 times)

MO

• View Profile
Re: Fender Flaring On Trans-Am Camaros
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 02:48:27 AM »
Not Trans-Am, but we used light grey on the chassis to observe any cracking. Any light color would be the same, but grey is a good neutral color for any exterior color.

Post 302!!

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 03:11:45 AM »
Thanks, yes, I figured that to be the most logical reason for it. But then, some, if not all the Kar-Kraft Mustangs had a dark speckled grey color.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 03:36:48 AM »
Steve, the Javelin team also used a zolatone style of paint on their interiors like some of the Mustangs did. I think the light gray was chosen for the chassis and engine compartment on the Penske cars to make any oil leaks or chassis cracks more easily recognizable. A lighter color in the interior would yield a cooler interior temp, which would be helpful during the long races. Yes, it required more work to mask everything off but people liked to follow Penske's lead, Success breeds imitation.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
Thanks Jon, thats excellent. I hadn't even considered the idea that the lighter color could help interior temperature levels. That makes sense too, given how long the races were, and that the drivers didn't have power steering. Would have been an immense work out.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 04:20:00 AM »
Zolotone=camouflage!  You can hide a lot of hacked up and modified stuff just by painting it with some splatter paint.

yenkomark

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »
  Just saw the reference to the Dimension Racing Camaro driven by Peter S. ....I had a conversation with Peter at the Nelson Ledges Trans Am that year..was explaining a few mods on front suspension to him on the Yunick car and how to adapt a few stock car products to his Camaro.