Author Topic: CRG etiquette concerning parts on E Bay  (Read 16972 times)

69 SS 350 X-55

• View Profile
CRG etiquette concerning parts on E Bay
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:37:48 AM »
Hello all,newbie here trying to collect original parts for my 69 X-55 correct restoration.If I see a part on E bay that claims to be original and no one bids or buy it now / make offer and it is relisted should I consider that a bad sign ? HBC has the same item at 3X the price. Should I post the E bay item # and seller in a public forum and ask what the CRG members think about the part or should I PM someone and ask for their opinion about the part. Just trying to do the right thing and not make to many mistakes and making someone get a case of the a$$ . Ialso  don't want to spend big $ only to be told I bought repro/incorrect parts. What should I do about a potentially awkward situation like this. Thanks in advance for all who reply.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: CRG etiquette concerning parts on E Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:00:29 AM »
Go ahead and post the eBay link here.  CRG members will be happy to chime in with their opinions of the part.

Paul

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Just don't be shocked if a CRG member bids against you.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »
Also don't be surprised if a fellow CRGer has the same item you are looking for and will make you a better deal, just because you are a member and contributor and they don't mind helping you out as long as they know it is not being flipped on Ebay.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »
Also don't be surprised if a fellow CRGer has the same item you are looking for and will make you a better deal, just because you are a member and contributor and they don't mind helping you out as long as they know it is not being flipped on Ebay.

I've done that several times and twice now the part ends up on ebay.  Oh well.... :)
Another key is do your homework as one has time during the auction run time. Search here and team Camaro for info and goggle for info. In many cases one can find out what is correct fairly easy. But as stated, if not sure post the link and members will chime in.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »
 HBC is usually more expensive for the same parts that can be purchased elsewhere. Example: BB valve covers are way over priced when compared to the exact same ones sold by Crane Corvettes (both eBay pricing). Do your shopping.
  Unless they (HBC or anyone else for that matter) have a truly one of a kind, hard to impossible to find part that you must have, keep looking.
Also, do not believe an item sold for XYZ usage is actually correct. Many times it isn't. As other have said here, post the URL for review.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:54:53 PM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
That's a bit tough to answer. I had a question about a part here and it was bought up by another member. So I would say sometimes you have to take the chance/risk if you want it bad enough. As 'maroman' says, "don't be shocked if a CRG member bids against you".
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
At any given time on any day there will be five times as many "Guests" reading through this forum than registered CRG-ers...
Spend some time here... work out a relationship with the ones that seem to have the information you need... and send PMs.
When I first signed on just now, there were 51 people online.  Nine were registered, the rest were Guests.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »
HBC is usually more expensive for the same parts that can be purchased elsewhere. Example: BB valve covers are way over priced when compared to the exact same ones sold by Crane Corvettes (both eBay pricing). Do your shopping.
  Unless they (HBC or anyone else for that matter) have a truly one of a kind, hard to impossible to find part that you must have, keep looking.
Also, do not believe an item sold for XYZ usage is actually correct. Many times it isn't. As other have said here, post the URL for review.

Mike
For an example about HBC pricing.....for some time now, I have been watching a NOS Y55 battery on HBC with a price of $1650.00.  I recently found and bought one identical to the HBC battery for a fraction of their price.  Like Mike said, keep looking and keep doing your shopping.  Also, as Chick stated, keep doing your research.  You may be new to the hobby but one of the keys is to continually research, research, research.  Don't ever quit looking for parts as well as information and if you still have questions, just get on here and ask.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
I wonder why so many are guests? former members? If you own a first gen, even if you never posted a comment I am unsure why you wouldn't become a member. The best part its FREE.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
I wonder why so many are guests? former members? If you own a first gen, even if you never posted a comment I am unsure why you wouldn't become a member. The best part its FREE.
Different strokes. Many don't want to register and give up information, they only read for their own benefit  Go to a VW site, guys only post to show their 25 NOS impossible parts to let others know they aren't for sale. It's the personality on the forum. I like this one, lots of help and info, wish I knew more detail info to help.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
The example of the VW site made me laugh. So whats worse posting a pic , but not selling or posting a part and then asking 5 times the going rate? If someone is going to bid it up for a crazy amount thats one thing, but starting out at a astronomical price I don't understand.

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
A lot of the time I read this and I am not signed in. I don't want you guys to think I am in here all the time!
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 10:54:43 PM »
Well maybe a lot of members only sign in when they are ready to add to a topic, it signs me in automatically.

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »
Different strokes. Many don't want to register and give up information, they only read for their own benefit  Go to a VW site, guys only post to show their 25 NOS impossible parts to let others know they aren't for sale. It's the personality on the forum. I like this one, lots of help and info, wish I knew more detail info to help.

Isn't that called 'Status Quo'? As I was growing up I always heard that term used, mainly pointed towards the snobby upper crust and well off kind of people who thought because they were rich they were better then anyone else.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80