Author Topic: Original dealer info for 1st gens is available  (Read 458566 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: So you think you have a Dana, Nickey,Berger Baldwin, etc...?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 05:24:02 PM »
i would like to see what you got too Stingr, i know what dealer my car came from and it is still around but called them and all the records from that far back are long gone.

I'm in the same boat at you; I know the dealer (about 30 miles from me), and I went to visit them in the late '70's after I purchased the car, in attempt to get a copy of their records, but even at that time, I was told the records were either destroyed, or stored away in a warehouse, and not available...?

Me three, when it comes to the original dealership.  JohnZ reminds us that Chevrolet was in the business of selling cars.  Same thing is true for dealers.  Apparently, I have had much better luck researching car histories with DMVs. I'd suggest anyone trying to work with a DMV not start with "I'm trying to find the owner".  You need to send a letter on letterhead (look official) and stress words like restoration and documentation of the car.  If this service can give you the original dealer and you are the current owner with the VIN, you may get lucky.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
Most DMV's have a form to fill out online.  I have done 2 different states with both having success and it gave me all the previous owners info as well (with the exception of TN only going back 2 previous owners).  Like Phillip said its all in how you present your case.  You may also have to get your request notarized  before sending it in.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 02:58:44 AM »
 I think this is great news and I will definitely spend the $50. I already know the dealership on two of my cars but it will just be one more piece of documentation to authenticate my cars in a fraudulent car world.
I have also had great success with the DMV title histories. Its a lot more possible than people think in a lot of states and yes how you word your request is important.
I also agree with an earlier post concerning some people that have what they think are the "original" POP's, window stickers and build sheets. Probably going to be some very unhappy folks when they get there report and will probably will cause some law suits and justifiably so.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 03:33:30 AM »
My understanding is that the documentation being released will not identify options, but will provide dealer with zone# , wholesale invoice # and body #. Perhaps more information will be available or found in the future but that is what I've been told will be provided on the April launch date. This is great news and will provide many owners a trail to the dealer and previous owners and with some luck a pot of gold (documentation).
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

4P-O1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 05:06:52 AM »
A question for anybody who has had success getting info from a DMV,
 Whay kind of information did they have? Anything pertaining to the build of the car? Maybe the shippers form,or order form?

The reason that I'm asking is I am trying to go this route to find the build info for a 67 that I have. On the first attempt,I got nowhere. (they did cash my check and say thanks for the payment,though ::)) I'll have to reword my request and make another attempt. I do know the selling dealer(from an old NCIB report),but they did not have any records back that far.
 Thanks guys, Andrew

Andy
1967 L78

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 06:43:28 AM »
When I did my car back in the early 1990's, all you needed was the VIN or the lic. plate number. What I got was any paper work the State had on car. Previous owner's that registered the car in their names all the way back to original owner. From there I got the POP, pictures of the car, and his stories of back in the day with said car. Now day's it's not that easy. Let's here from the guys on this site that have been successful lately, getting this information. Details please. 8)
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 09:48:33 AM »
What are the possibilities for me, as an foreign Camaro-owner, to get such information regarding my car that you all mention here? And what is DMV?
All I have is the original licence plates, including the HGGER69 one, and the VIN!
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
DMV = Divison of Motor Vehicles
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
My understanding is that the documentation being released will not identify options, but will provide dealer with zone# , wholesale invoice # and body #. Perhaps more information will be available or found in the future but that is what I've been told will be provided on the April launch date.

Is your source an insider at GM or just a guy who heard from a guy who read it on the internet?

I ask because that is different information than what is stated in the OP and in the link provided to the service. It says nothing about wholesale invoice # and body #.

Shipping Data Report Service: The information consists of the dealer code, dealer name, dealer address and the date the car was produced.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »

68 Rag:

I was given the info from an NCRS member who is involved with the program. BTW the wholesale invoice # and body # may be one in the same. 

My understanding is that the documentation being released will not identify options, but will provide dealer with zone# , wholesale invoice # and body #. Perhaps more information will be available or found in the future but that is what I've been told will be provided on the April launch date.

Is your source an insider at GM or just a guy who heard from a guy who read it on the internet?

I ask because that is different information than what is stated in the OP and in the link provided to the service. It says nothing about wholesale invoice # and body #.

Shipping Data Report Service: The information consists of the dealer code, dealer name, dealer address and the date the car was produced.
[/quote

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »

68 Rag:

I was given the info from an NCRS member who is involved with the program. BTW the wholesale invoice # and body # may be one in the same. 

He may be misinformed. Can he provide you with an example Corvette document that shows more information than this?

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
Ragtop was this what you got for $50.00?
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »
Guys you will get exactly what the above report shows. The Shipping Data Records do contain the wholesale invoice number, order number and indent number. these numbers are not released with this information and will not be provided from this information.  The reason for that will become obvious at some point, but we do know at this point that some plants, some years one or more of those three numbers may be located on your cowl tag, or window sticker, or wholesale invoice, or car shipper, or build sheet, or MSO, etc.  For that reason the numbers will not be released, they would only serve to assist the counterfeiters. Because of the way the three strings were created at original order conception they are unpredictable and unpublished but great tools for ferreting out in some cases bogus items such as build sheets, window stickers, cowl tags, MSO, etc. ;)

I should add for 68 Ragtop - one of these numbers may or may not appear on the cowl tag and it may or may not always be in the body number location, more research is needed before we make a flat statement such as your "BTW the wholesale invoice # and body # may be one in the same"

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2014, 09:39:52 PM »
The source I'm getting my imformation is very knowledgeable and I had him restate the information that was to be provided. I believe these GM records are from a different dept/source from where the corvette records were obtained. This is my understanding but we will see. BTW I sent you a PM.  

68 Rag:

He may be misinformed. Can he provide you with an example Corvette document that shows more information than this?

Steve Shauger

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
 Is this a service GM themselves would also provide (for a fee no doubt)? Is NCRS just one more source acting as an outlet?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored