Author Topic: Original dealer info for 1st gens is available  (Read 458507 times)

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
Re: So you think you have a Dana, Nickey,Berger Baldwin, etc...?
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:34 PM »

My understanding NCRS will be providing the service as they do for the Corvette. GM & NCRS have some type of agreement and GM provided the access to the records.

Is this a service GM themselves would also provide (for a fee no doubt)? Is NCRS just one more source acting as an outlet?

Mike
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 12:29:31 AM »
Ragtop was this what you got for $50.00?

It's not mine, but I have seen several Corvette NCRS shipping reports and they all look like this.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 12:35:30 AM »
The source I'm getting my imformation is very knowledgeable and I had him restate the information that was to be provided. I believe these GM records are from a different dept/source from where the corvette records were obtained. 

That would be fantastic. It always seems like the Corvette is GM's favorite so for Camaro owners to get a more detailed report would be quite an accomplishment.

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 04:08:57 AM »
the source for the new Camaro, Nova and Chevelle information is the same source used for the Corvette. the records belong to GM. NCRS has been granted permission to access these records and provide the service for Camaro, Nova and Chevelle. It's that simple.

I know - it's my signature on the NCRS paperwork and unless things change within NCRS I most likely will be doing it for the other documents as well.

Believe me if NCRS had access to anything else it would also be available.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2014, 04:20:14 AM »
the source for the new Camaro, Nova and Chevelle information is the same source used for the Corvette. the records belong to GM. NCRS has been granted permission to access these records and provide the service for Camaro, Nova and Chevelle. It's that simple.

I know - it's my signature on the NCRS paperwork and unless things change within NCRS I most likely will be doing it for the other documents as well.

Hi Roy,

Any chance on a discount for this service for CRG members?   :)

Paul

cam69aro

• 38,000 mile Jerry MacNeish certified z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2014, 05:40:58 AM »
so if i order this information will it say whether or not my car was produced as a z28 or SS ? that would be the main reason i would want it. they must have that information available if they know what dealer the car went to and when the car was built.
Eldon W 1969 z28 Black with born with driveline X77 38,000 miles-sold
2016 z06/z07 Corvette Black

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 06:01:25 AM »
So what i am reading from this form it will not tell you what options came on the car. I have my mso & dealer invoice with options that came on car. Did title search with tennessee dmv years ago before the privacy act & received all this from them also all previos owners names. So for me it would be waste off my money to order this form. Shame it is not the copy off the shipper invoice because it would cut down more on the want a be car & will help lot off people from scammed. But on the bright side it will help some people know were there car came from & build dates!

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »

Hi Roy,

Any chance on a discount for this service for CRG members?   :)

Paul

Paul, NCRS is a not for profit organization, they have non NCRS members join NCRS before they can receive the Corvette Data! Given that bit of information I think they are giving you a discount, if your a Camaro, Chevelle or Nova guy you don't have to join NCRS to get the data. So in effect it is a discount already, the price of this service is controlled by GM.

Seriously, I lobbied NCRS hard to get this stuff released for these Marques, when it became obvious we had it all in the records we found for the Corvette. NCRS had to determine if they could handle the process just for the Corvette, once we got that under control, we went back to GM and said OK let us do the same thing for the other cars.

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 01:51:20 PM »
so if i order this information will it say whether or not my car was produced as a z28 or SS ? that would be the main reason i would want it. they must have that information available if they know what dealer the car went to and when the car was built.

Short answer No.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 02:37:45 PM »
Thanks again Roy. This is a great service.

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »
Thanks again Roy. This is a great service.

Charley,

I think once we get our feet on the ground with this service and begin too figure out exactly what we can and cant do with it there are all kinds of possibilities.  I personally appreciate your support in this. It was huge step for the NCRS board to approve this, they are after all a Corvette club and convincing them they owed it to the rest of the Hobbyist to provide the information it was no minor feat.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »
Roy, I'm assuming this info is on microfiche like the GM of Canada shippers, but did GM give the microfiche sheets to the NCRS or do you have to contact someone at the Herritage Center for the info when you get a request?

Ed

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 04:08:54 PM »
Roy, I'm assuming this info is on microfiche like the GM of Canada shippers, but did GM give the microfiche sheets to the NCRS or do you have to contact someone at the Herritage Center for the info when you get a request?

Ed

Ed, It gets very complicated and long to explain, yes the information is on microfiche. The problem is it is all Chevrolet production, there is 1926 Chevrolet roadster stuff on one page I looked at.  so we have 22 cars per page on the microfiche. That's 22 Chevrolets not 22 69 Norwood Camaros. imagine now Chevrolet complete production history. we are talking 100,000's pages of microfiche maybe Millions of pages.  We contracted with an outside service to scan these pages and digitize them so we could create a searchable file by VIN. These records ultimately were filtered so that we just have the Camaro, Chevelle, and Nova production plant records. The initial retrieval some three years ago was just the Corvette plant, with that we still got light duty, medium duty trucks, Corvair Greenbriers, and Biscayne station wagons because they were all built in St Louis, I digress. This time through the process we refined the scanning process and just pulled 65-72 Camaro, Chevelle and Nova records. Its a huge undertaking, time consuming and expensive. the problem becomes a damaged microfiche record may not scan well, some pages are missing there will be holes in the records, etc.  the end result is NCRS ends up with Searchable DVD's for year groupings and the groupings are not 1st gen second gen they are when one DVD is full we start a second. so 67-68 Camaro are together and 69 -70- Camaro are together. this is not the same page you see from Canada because when we search a Canadian car all we will have depending on the year is something like zone 21 dealer 000, we know that means Canadian export, if you contact Canada with the vin you will get the stuff you guys are use to seeing from Canada.

The records contain only what I have indicated they contained in previous posts nothing more nothing less, for what will become obvious reasons as we progress into these services  the only thing that will be supplied out of these records in the service is the official production date, GM zone and GM dealer. we then take that information and search the GM dealer directories for the time frame to determine the dealer name, city and state.  :)

Long explanation to answer your question by saying yes its similar but no its not the same.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
Thanks for the explaination Roy. To boil it all down, it's a major PIA!!

And I can guarantee that MY Camaro will be on one of the missing microfiche pages!!

(By the way, you should also have a request for my 69 Corvette sitting on your desk!)

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
It gets very complicated and long to explain, yes the information is on microfiche. The problem is it is all Chevrolet production, there is 1926 Chevrolet roadster stuff on one page I looked at.  so we have 22 cars per page on the microfiche. That's 22 Chevrolets not 22 69 Norwood Camaros. imagine now Chevrolet complete production history. we are talking 100,000's pages of microfiche maybe Millions of pages.  We contracted with an outside service to scan these pages and digitize them so we could create a searchable file by VIN. These records ultimately were filtered so that we just have the Camaro, Chevelle, and Nova production plant records. The initial retrieval some three years ago was just the Corvette plant, with that we still got light duty, medium duty trucks, Corvair Greenbriers, and Biscayne station wagons because they were all built in St Louis, I digress. This time through the process we refined the scanning process and just pulled 65-72 Camaro, Chevelle and Nova records. Its a huge undertaking, time consuming and expensive. the problem becomes a damaged microfiche record may not scan well, some pages are missing there will be holes in the records, etc.  the end result is NCRS ends up with Searchable DVD's for year groupings and the groupings are not 1st gen second gen they are when one DVD is full we start a second. so 67-68 Camaro are together and 69 -70- Camaro are together. this is not the same page you see from Canada because when we search a Canadian car all we will have depending on the year is something like zone 21 dealer 000, we know that means Canadian export, if you contact Canada with the vin you will get the stuff you guys are use to seeing from Canada.

The records contain only what I have indicated they contained in previous posts nothing more nothing less, for what will become obvious reasons as we progress into these services  the only thing that will be supplied out of these records in the service is the official production date, GM zone and GM dealer. we then take that information and search the GM dealer directories for the time frame to determine the dealer name, city and state.  :)

Long explanation to answer your question by saying yes its similar but no its not the same.

Roy,

Now that you explained the process, $50.00 is a bargain!  Thanks for your & NCRS' hard work for making this service available for us Camaro lovers.  I can't wait to find out my car's birthday!

Paul

anything