9 (10.1%)
30-39
2 (2.2%)
20-29
2 (2.2%)
0-19
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Age Groups of Our Hobby  (Read 47318 times)

68SSL35/M40/O2

• View Profile
Re: Age Groups of Our Hobby
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »
How about we renew this post. It's inspiring, and it's 7years ago!!.  Oh, and I'm 47!

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »
I'm proud to have been included in all but three of the brackets listed in the survey at one time or another.

I wonder why more people don't include their age on their profile ? I'm not the least bit embarrassed for the years I've been in this hobby - just wish I'd known 50 years ago what I've learned in the last 20 or so -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2020, 02:14:26 PM »
Can’t believe it’s been 7 years..  updated the poll and reset it.  Let’s see if anything’s changed.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »
Well, those of us that are still here have gotten 7 yrs older....  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2020, 07:27:09 PM »

;D

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2020, 10:10:25 PM »
Not sure if I was aware of this site 7 years ago. Now just about to the end of the 20s bracket and plan on keeping the car until the other end of the poll, lol
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2020, 07:47:43 AM »
This time around, I'm in the 40-49 bracket, although I was tempted to answer '0-19' based on attitude and behavior sometimes.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

usa1ti

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2020, 02:10:09 PM »
I'm convinced we have done this to ourselves. Im 54 now but had my first 68 427 4 speed camaro when I was 17. That car was still one of the nicest cars I have ever owned. But when it takes $28- $40k cash just to get a good solid non matching driver most people are out. I can say probably all young people are out. You have to be in a special place in life to write that check. Mecum and Barrett Jackson have driven the prices so high no one under 40 can play. Our real estate equity and 401k wins kept those guys climbing. supply and demand I suppose but demand is only there if you are willing to pay for it and we are. I have bought houses cheaper than my last 302 car and when I stop at Auto Zone all of the young workers there come out and ask why I would put a Ford motor in a Camaro....
Todd, East TN

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
I'm convinced we have done this to ourselves. Im 54 now but had my first 68 427 4 speed camaro when I was 17. That car was still one of the nicest cars I have ever owned. But when it takes $28- $40k cash just to get a good solid non matching driver most people are out. I can say probably all young people are out. You have to be in a special place in life to write that check. Mecum and Barrett Jackson have driven the prices so high no one under 40 can play. Our real estate equity and 401k wins kept those guys climbing. supply and demand I suppose but demand is only there if you are willing to pay for it and we are. I have bought houses cheaper than my last 302 car and when I stop at Auto Zone all of the young workers there come out and ask why I would put a Ford motor in a Camaro....

Im in the same age bracket as you, and I agree. Back in the 1980s when I was just getting my drivers license, and enjoying buying 'cheap' Muscle Cars...boy were those the days! For some reason mainstream 'gar guys' are totally unaware Chevrolet made a 302 cid engine, yet had great success with it in the Z/28, and in Trans-Am for 1968-1969. Just as Ford did with their Boss 302 in 1970. I believe the reason people give credit to Ford on the 302 engine because it lasted longer in production than Chevys version. For 'me' both are excellent power plants in their own right.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
I'm in the same age bracket as well and have also have owned many cheap gen 1 Camaros in various states of disrepair  in the late 70's and 80's which I have many great memories of racing my friends on the country backroads and wrenching on modified Chevy engines into the wee hours of the night, good times! but now that I'm am in my mid fifties and my kids are almost through with college along with their expenses I have the time and money to enjoy these cars again, just in a different way , focusing on a factory correct restoration which gives me great pleasure and satisfaction to see the progress and share details with others that have this passion such as the people that frequent this site and attend the car shows, in other words it's not just the cars but the people I communicate within the hobby that make it fun! maybe we aren't drag racing the backroads as much any more but still enjoying the beauty and thrill of stirring through the gears of the old Muncie four speed!

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2020, 09:23:36 PM »
I'm in the same age bracket as well and have also have owned many cheap gen 1 Camaros in various states of disrepair  in the late 70's and 80's which I have many great memories of racing my friends on the country backroads and wrenching on modified Chevy engines into the wee hours of the night, good times! but now that I'm am in my mid fifties and my kids are almost through with college along with their expenses I have the time and money to enjoy these cars again, just in a different way , focusing on a factory correct restoration which gives me great pleasure and satisfaction to see the progress and share details with others that have this passion such as the people that frequent this site and attend the car shows, in other words it's not just the cars but the people I communicate within the hobby that make it fun! maybe we aren't drag racing the backroads as much any more but still enjoying the beauty and thrill of stirring through the gears of the old Muncie four speed!

Absolutely agree! Its the people in our hobby that makes it fun and enjoyable. I have many friends who are into all brands of Muscle Cars, and Im sure you will agree, all of them are well respected. I love 'em all from AMC to Oldsmobile.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2020, 05:06:15 PM »
I have had several Camaro’s and currently own 2 at this moment.
I have owned one of them for 30 years....Bill gates does not have enough money to buy it from me!

My daughter wants that one some day!  My son wants the corvette it’s an automatic, he doesn’t like sticks!
I noticed lots of the younger generation doesn’t like to row gears.....I often wonder how that will affect values of some cars in the future?
however my daughter is younger then my son.....and she has also gotten in more trouble!

68SSL35/M40/O2

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2020, 09:41:44 PM »
Other than the 68, I'm building now. I still have the 67 Cutlass my dad use to drive as his daily, in the late 80's and into the 90's. I drove it a few times to high school. I've help change more motors n that car than I can think of, some with him, some without.
we restored a 68 rs/ss  BB 4 speed clone around that time. first car me and my dad restored together. It was in the Snap-on calendar of 99. sold it. in 2000, told the guy if he ever decided t sell it, call him. Guess what. The guy did! after it was damaged in a Tornado, but wasn't really damaged that bad. My dad still has that one also!

Last post had me laughing hard!!!!

I have a 19yr old daughter, and I taught her how to drive a manual trans for her first car. She drives the hell out it, (Scion TC) (just like her father), 2 clutch jobs, and 1 engine. she's been modifying it herself. and believe it or not, she's not afraid of working out it herself, (exhaust, header, shifter, wheels and tires, front and rear bumpers), but sometimes I have to assist.

I get it that the younger generation isn't into the muscle cars. They can barely buy parts for these rice burners. 

but I'm very proud of her, and I'm 3yrs away from 50.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »
Take the RED Pill, it WILL happen;

I inherited a 1947 Packard Super Eight 356 cu. in  4 door  basket case my Father bought and hauled us around in the 1960-70's, Rusted out, Frozen Motor, When we (Mom & I) looked at the  emotional  value to open market, It just did not pen out, SOLD to Clipper Fan in Canada.

Brother inherited a 1925 Hudson Super Six 2DR, After limping it along in the Hood  just an around the Block car, Cyl #3 Rusted thru and Hyd and blu out the copper head gasket. When we (Mom & He) looked at the  emotional  value to open market, It just did not pen out, SOLD to Hudson Fan in Wa.

Mom inherited 2 stalls worth of Model "T" F*RD cars/parts, Nothing Running, Nothing Rare, Except: Canada Pickup, Rucksel Rear end and various others.
When we (Mom & Sons) looked at the  emotional  value to open market, It just did not pen out, SOLD to Model "T" Fan in Wa.

Sister inherited 1965 Chrysler Newport Convert & Tons of Mopar parts, Nothing Running, Nothing Rare.
She is still Hooked on the emotional  value to open market, It does not pen out, She Hopes to Hire a resto: Will be upside down & only a someday plan.

For entertainment value I will post some Pics.

We come from a Long Line of Car Folk, while the Passion is in the Blood: the vehicle of Choice varies widely and the same will happen to us to some degree or other.

One of the great equalizers is We are NOT into Skydiving & we can pursue our Love of Muscle Cars for Years into our Later years as Health & Finances allow.

JIM

Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2020, 01:22:13 AM »
My friend, whose first car was a 1968 Z28, thought of trying to buy another one, now that he is retired, but gave up on the idea as there were few Z28s around in 1970, and even few around today in Southern California.  As for kids wanting to drive a manual shift car, my niece stalled my Acura RSX Type S so many times that we had trouble starting it.  When her brother wanted to learn, I had him take out my Z28 and he couldn't shift the gears, so I told him to just keep it in first gear while we drove around the neighborhood, but we ended up stalled in the middle of the street.   The nephew hoped to drive my 1970 BOSS 302 that has manual steering, a Hurst Super-Shifter, and a 2600 lb. clutch, but he'd never even get the car started in the garage!  Oh well, you can't tell them about how much fun it was driving in a traffic jam on the San Diego freeway, slipping the clutch as you inched up the grade, going south out of the San Fernando Valley.