Author Topic: Correct engine paint suggestions please!  (Read 60595 times)

NoYenko

• View Profile
Re: Correct engine paint suggestions please!
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »
I believe the big block manifolds were entirely painted and the paint burned off on the hotter areas leaving paint around the bolted areas. It actually just flakes off rather than burning. Here is a quote from John Hinkley on another discussion. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9898.0
"Your photos look fine to me. Iron-intake big-blocks didn't get any masking, and the bypass hose was pretty much completely painted; aluminum-intake big-blocks did get a mask, and their bypass hoses will show somewhat less paint than on an iron-intake car. Tonawanda painted the big-block engine with the exhaust manifolds in place, and they had lots of paint, as shown by the photo on the Camaro assembly line. Flint V-8 (small-blocks), on the other hand, installed the exhaust manifolds AFTER engine painting starting in 1965, so post-'64 Flint-built small-block exhaust manifolds won't show any paint.
Attached is a photo from 1967 assembly line showing a full size car with BB with manifolds completely painted. George

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »
I know this is an older post but I wanted to add an engine pic of a small block Nova when it was new on the lot of Mann Chevrolet.

Courtesy of yenko.net

1969 Nova SS

Side note:  You can see the tail pan of the LeMans 69 in this next photo.  Not Gloss.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
That looks like an exhaust manifold (on a '69 small block engine) that has a significant amount of engine paint on it....??
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 12:30:27 AM »
That looks like an exhaust manifold (on a '69 small block engine) that has a significant amount of engine paint on it....??
   In addition, I've had a conversation recently about if today's replacement brake lines using colored end connectors existed in the first gen or were they just plain steel color. In this picture I see what looks like green end caps on the brake line attached to the master cylinder front output.
 I also noticed the left fender splash shield is not tucked in as was originally stated they should be. And the upper control arm end cap definitely looks black.

Got to love these old photos for references.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 01:00:22 AM »
   In addition, I've had a conversation recently about if today's replacement brake lines using colored end connectors existed in the first gen or were they just plain steel color. In this picture I see what looks like green end caps on the brake line attached to the master cylinder front output.
 I also noticed the left fender splash shield is not tucked in as was originally stated they should be. And the upper control arm end cap definitely looks black.

Got to love these old photos for references.

Mike

Also master cylinder not painted vs semi gloss black..  Need to confirm all years but sure looks like 69 was not painted.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:25 AM »
Always figured master cylinders were cast. Suckers bet on exhaust manifolds ,how long to burn the paint off? Mine have no trace of paint and were removed soon after the car was bought That Nova probably just rolled off the trailer to the lot. Surprised on the fittings. Mine are OE with no trace of color. Maybe a light spray for ID which quickly wore off ?  What wouldn't you want off that lot Darrell ?? Sort of depressing--I would have been 3 when the pic was taken. Novas ? Never really popular or considered muscle cars around here back in the day. Work cars. When I was a kid growing up, everybody's dad in the neighborhood parked their "work car or truck in the street" Lot of Novas. My Dad had one. Cheap, easy to work on, dependable and he didn't care about it. Although same platform as a Camaro. Same goes for mid-late 60's Impalas- Dad called them "old man cars"  Still does ! Now a following.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 11:36:34 PM »
Master cylinders were painted. You can see the crummy paint in the pic. The paint didn't stick well, esp if the MC was rusty.

The brake line nuts were anodized different colors.

The best car I've ever seen to show both of these was a 69 Corvair with 40 miles on it. No miles and a protected brake system - the colors were clear.
Kurt S
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 02:15:10 AM »
Would love to see pics if you have them.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 05:49:52 AM »
I'll look, but it was before digital cameras and I won't be home for several more months.
Kurt S
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Gotcha

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 11:24:35 PM »
I'll look, but it was before digital cameras and I won't be home for several more months.
Now we know Kurt is one of those snow birds, huh? It's OK Kurt, but what is the temp where your hiding out this brutal winter for many of us? :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 02:00:31 AM »
What ever Panama's temps are this time of the year...
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 02:41:49 AM »
What ever Panama's temps are this time of the year...

I thought it was costa rica?  OR is Kurt roaming all over the region, trying to find pretty orange camaros to lust over?? :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »
That engine paint sure looks a lot lower gloss than what I typically see on repainted ones.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 12:49:04 AM »
Back home in Costa Rica (was in Panama for a couple of weeks). Not a snowbird - living here for a year.

Engine paint should be lower gloss.....
Kurt S
CRG

anything