Author Topic: 1968 Rally Sport grille research  (Read 307736 times)

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 RS center grille
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2006, 03:39:36 AM »
Mark

I am a little confused.  I believe the cars were manufactured with the center grille attached to the upper and lower grilles using rivets, the upper was attached to the header panel with nuts, and the lower to the valance with bolts/nuts.  Is that what you are saying you have on your car?  Thanks.

Steve

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2006, 11:04:16 AM »
Steve:

Sad to say that my grille is not atached with rivets but with screws, and the top screws and nuts are different than the bottom ones.  Here are a couple of pics.  Based on this I guess we have to conclude that the previous owner was incorrect and that the Grille had been replaced at some time.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2006, 12:18:26 AM »
Mark

I at this point would have to agree that the center grille has most likely been replaced.  But that's based on more than just the fact the nuts/bolts are holding the center to the upper and lower grilles.  I also note with some interest the picture showing the lower grille.  As I stated in my post "and the lower to the valance with bolts/nuts."   That's what the AIM calls for on page 424, parts 6 & 8.  I see yours has a screw/u-nut that holds the lower to the valance.  My car also has this screw/u-nut set-up!  Ed, what does your car have?

Steve

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2006, 12:30:23 AM »
Steve,

Mine's the same. Screw and U-nut set-up.

Ed

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2006, 12:36:56 AM »
Far out!  I guess we have found a change in the actual manufacturing from the AIM inadvertently here as I know my set-up is definitely original.

Steve

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2006, 03:28:15 PM »
Steve,

Mine's the same. Screw and U-nut set-up.

Ed

Ed, does yours also have the straight-slotted pan head screws shown in the photo above? I've never seen a straight-slotted screw used anywhere on a car.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2006, 10:16:20 PM »
John

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page I was referring to the screw at the very bottom of the picture.  Not the one where you can see the head but the one with just the treads showing (the head on mine is not a straight-slotted pan head type)....it's the one that would hold the lower grille to the valance panel.  Where the slotted screw is there should be rivets.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:18:29 AM by Steve68 »

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2006, 12:59:34 AM »
John,

No, my screws aren't flat head, but phillips head screws. They're also about an inch to an inch and a quarter long. The grille itself is held in with rivets. The screws attach the assembly to the valence.

Here's a picture...

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »
And by the way John, what was the official policy on hardware? I know that some things were called out in the AIM, but did the line have any leeway in things like sheet metal screws, nuts, bolts, etc...? I'm talking basic hardware here.

I'm also assuming that there was more than one supplier for this type of thing so is it possible (like in this case) to have one car with one type of sheet metal screw and another car with a different type? Even at the same plant?

Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2006, 05:32:03 PM »
And by the way John, what was the official policy on hardware? I know that some things were called out in the AIM, but did the line have any leeway in things like sheet metal screws, nuts, bolts, etc...? I'm talking basic hardware here.

I'm also assuming that there was more than one supplier for this type of thing so is it possible (like in this case) to have one car with one type of sheet metal screw and another car with a different type? Even at the same plant?

Ed

Ed - Mis-usage of fasteners would result in lots of inventory problems (shortage of the one mis-used, excess of the one that was supposed to be used, etc.); although there were always multiple suppliers of fasteners, they looked the same (except for headmarks), and the same fastener from different suppliers carried the same part number on the box. Line repairmen occasionally used a "different" fastener for quick repairs, but regular line operations were only supplied with the fasteners released in the Bill of Material.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2006, 12:23:33 AM »
Rich

Yes - I can tell where Steve is headed.  Interesting thought, and one that we'd need to find several very original cars of late build to deal with.

I'm interested in the idea, but I've got about 50 irons in the fire, so I can't spend a lot of intense time on this, but I'll send this back to the core group and ask for some help and a reminder of where we last left this.  If the PM can't resolve this, I'll look closer at the db to see if there are any other good-quality candidate cars for further review.  If the contacts are agreeable, I may pass on that info to you guys to go on the hunt with.

To update you on our progress so far (The quote is part of a previous post from you.).   We are not getting any additional data at this point even from folks that we have sent a personal message to asking for some very specific information that we thought would greatly help us.  Some folks have been very supportive responding to every request and others only partially.  Others say they have "not forgot us" but apparently have and some promise to get back to us but never do.  Such is life.  It's too bad because I feel they could have really helped us out. They most likely don't have the interest in this that some of us do so no hard feelings.  Anyway, if you have any time at all could you look at the db for "other good-quality candidate cars for further review" and pass that on to us?  I believe we know where/what to look for if we had some cars owners willing to participate.

Steve

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2006, 04:52:03 AM »
Ed - Mis-usage of fasteners would result in lots of inventory problems (shortage of the one mis-used, excess of the one that was supposed to be used, etc.); although there were always multiple suppliers of fasteners, they looked the same (except for headmarks), and the same fastener from different suppliers carried the same part number on the box. Line repairmen occasionally used a "different" fastener for quick repairs, but regular line operations were only supplied with the fasteners released in the Bill of Material.

Thanks John. As usual, you're a fountain of information!!

So I guess the screws on my car are not original since Mark and Steve have the same type and mine are different.

Now... What about my top nuts?

Ed

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 05:10:51 AM by bertfam »

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2006, 06:40:01 AM »
Steve,

I'm sorry for the delay in replying, I've been busy. My grille has a 1 between the circles consistent with the other grilles. I suppose this is a mute point, as you've moved beyond that discussion.

Paul

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2006, 06:21:32 PM »
Thanks John. As usual, you're a fountain of information!!

So I guess the screws on my car are not original since Mark and Steve have the same type and mine are different.

Now... What about my top nuts?

Ed

Can't give you an answer to that one, Ed - I'm not familiar with the details of '68 grilles.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2006, 12:21:42 AM »
Paul

Thank you very much for your response and info.  We appreciate it.  It is critical info and it's better late then never.  Also, just to clarify, we have not moved beyond any discussion on this at all.  I posted the above to Rich because we were not getting any further input even when we were contacting folks one on one asking for specific info.  What is disappointing to me is that some of them provided info that put us on, what I believe may be, the verge of a break through and then they just sort of disappeared on us.  Again, I'm not upset with them as there may be circumstances or reasons for us not hearing back from them......some may even be beyond their control.  I certainly want and hope that anyone who has a 68 RS will provide us with data. :)  Thanks again for helping out!

Steve
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:45:30 AM by Steve68 »