Author Topic: John Ware Trans-Am Camaro  (Read 77863 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
John Ware Trans-Am Camaro
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:39:52 AM »
Here are some recent photos of the original John Ware Camaro that ran in the Trans-Am series at Riverside back in 1970 and 1971.
The car has been running with the SVRA group in the East Coast events for a number of years and the current preparation of the
car reflects that. New owner Karman Cusack is from Colorado and is wanting to restore the car more accurately to how it was back
in the early '70s so that he can run it with the Historic Trans-Am group in the West Coast events. It will be nice to see another first-
gen Camaro running around with that group. This car was a real British Green rally sport Z/28 when bought new and did some drag
racing and slaloming before being turned into a full-time road racer after the first year or so.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:10:03 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Ware Trans-Am Camaro
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:04:35 AM »
Here are some vintage photos of the car, courtesy of John Ryals.  John was a friend of the Ware family, and if I remember correctly,
he went to high school with John Ware, Jr.  John Ryals did some crew work on the car and later opened his own fabrication shop.
He still works on old race cars and fabricates whatever someone might need. His shop is out in Santa Clarita, CA and he has a website
at www.ryalsfab.com .  The two pictures of the car in yellow below were taken at the '71 Riverside Trans-Am.  The other pictures of
the car painted green are from Ontario Motor Speedway in 1970.  That's John Ryals sitting in the car in the last photo.  Karman Cusack's
plan is to restore the car to the dark green 1970 paint scheme.  Many thanks to John Ryals for sharing these vintage pics with us.
Hopefully we'll get to see some more from his collection.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:04:42 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »
1971 Riverside T/A photo as seen in Competition Press & Autoweek. (Jon Mello Collection)
Jon Mello
CRG

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
Neat car, is that the one Conley had for sale a few months ago?
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »
Yes, it is the one Craig had briefly.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03:10 AM »
More vintage photos of the John Ware Camaro. These photos were taken at Ontario Motor Speedway, a few weeks before the Riverside Trans-Am in 1970.
Many thanks to John Ryals for sharing these wonderful photos from his collection with us and also to Karman Cusack for working with John on this. More to come.

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 05:06:44 AM »
Photos of the John Ware Camaro as seen at the 1971 Riverside Trans-Am.

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo

John Ryals photo
Jon Mello
CRG

kdcrmms

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
The John Ware Camaro transformation back to 1970 livery has begun. For the Monterey Historics it will be the original British Racing Green as it was delivered new and seen in the 1970 Riverside Pictures.  I am very grateful to all on this site especially Craig Conley, John Ryals and Jon Mello and Chad Raynal for the input I have received in researching the car. There is some lettering on the front spoiler we have yet to identify what it says.
Not only is the body and graphics going back to the way it was in the day but there is a bit of work to do on the Instrument Cluster, Dash and the Engine.  In a way it pains me to freshen up the car with these items because it had such excellent Patina in the orange. I have asked that the transformation be documented so hopefully I will be able to share some pictures.  I continue to look for additional information. Any and all input is welcome.  We want it right.  Did anybody recognize John Ryals in the STP shirt sitting in the car?

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:35:33 PM »
Is this a 67 or a 68 - I see a 67 grill but no vent windows?  I can't make it this weekend to Sonoma but will try for Monterey.  Hope to see it there.  Best of luck in your resto.

Robert Barg

kdcrmms

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 01:39:20 AM »
Hey Robert the car is a 68.  Wish we were up in Sonoma this weekend as well.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 04:28:03 AM »
Some pictures of John Ware's car in some later events, possibly at Willow Springs.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 04:31:09 AM »
Another couple of later photos. These are from Riverside.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »
Here's a look at the front suspension on the car.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 05:27:33 AM »
Master cylinder and brakes

Front caliper

Rear caliper

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 05:37:52 AM »
Rear axle and suspension. I'm not sure why there are red Konis on one side of the car and yellow Konis
on the other but it does make it easier to see which side you are looking at in the photos below. This
rear axle assembly is claimed to be something that was purchased straight from Jim Hall back in the day.

Jon Mello
CRG

anything