Author Topic: are cowl and trim tags painted  (Read 63273 times)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: are cowl and trim tags painted
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »
Who ever has a copy of the book.. You have my permission to quote the passage from the book that is particular to this topic here in this thread.

Quite a few of you have it BTW...

Phil, I've been reading your book and have enjoyed it (currently near the end of the 69 model run P135) so congratulations on that accomplishment, but if I may, it might be better to just give what you believe the correct answer is and based on what. Nothing wrong with referencing the book but making it seem like a commercial will turn members off. I'm confident that was not your intention and congratulations again on the book.
By the way, would I love to have one of those RS SS 396 Convertibles loaded on the trailer (p115) like the one up top with chambered exhaust. What else that caught my eye was the wheel combination as it seems many or all have trim rings and dog dish caps.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:43 PM »
That's disappointing. You won't discuss the topic or answer any direct questions. 'See my book' is not really a discussion point. :(

The Book is a book.  Not an internet venture.

A word of caution.  The book was vetted for accuracy by a team of plant personnel.   For example when you speak about technical information pertaining to Fisher Body Norwood Know this- there are two men who ran the build data for Fisher at the data management level and for production-- and they are a phone call away... also understand that because one type of documentation was relied upon in one GM plant when you focus on how one specific individual plant operated you will find variations in technology and implementation and integration.  

An example is robot usage at Norwood...despite the age of Norwood it was the first to get the technology at the assembly plant level.

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
Who ever has a copy of the book.. You have my permission to quote the passage from the book that is particular to this topic here in this thread.

Quite a few of you have it BTW...

Phil, I've been reading your book and have enjoyed it (currently near the end of the 69 model run P135) so congratulations on that accomplishment, but if I may, it might be better to just give what you believe the correct answer is and based on what. Nothing wrong with referencing the book but making it seem like a commercial will turn members off. I'm confident that was not your intention and congratulations again on the book.
By the way, would I love to have one of those RS SS 396 Convertibles loaded on the trailer (p115) like the one up top with chambered exhaust. What else that caught my eye was the wheel combination as it seems many or all have trim rings and dog dish caps.

Thanks for the complements!  In order to explore the minutiae of detail that interests the forum here-this would consume enormous amounts of time.

So you see how a simple topic like trim tags getting sprayed white-you know you would think that is pretty cut and dried right... No because many believe there was some structured process at work underpinning every move on the line.   That was not the case.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 12:39:16 AM »
"So you see how a simple topic like trim tags getting sprayed white-you know you would think that is pretty cut and dried right... No because many believe there was some structured process at work underpinning every move on the line.   That was not the case."

I disagree with the underpinning comment but why not share what the book explains. Maybe that would answer the question the Group asks and also entice members to get more curious and buy the book to learn more.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 01:25:41 AM »
"So you see how a simple topic like trim tags getting sprayed white-you know you would think that is pretty cut and dried right... No because many believe there was some structured process at work underpinning every move on the line.   That was not the case."

I disagree with the underpinning comment but why not share what the book explains. Maybe that would answer the question the Group asks and also entice members to get more curious and buy the book to learn more.

Mike,

Mike

I hear you and I wish I could.  That would be a precedent setting mistake that I would grow to regret. 

Believe me when I tell you that the white paint on a trim tag is "trivial" when compared to the other revelations that the research confirmed. 

Lets say we discuss the fact that in 1969 it was common to assemble Camaros without engines.   Heads will start to explode around here!    listen- I simply do not have the time to engage on that level. 

That is why I refer to the book and tell people to read it.  Upon request I will authorize a brief quotation or a summary statement from a party who has the book and I have no problem as long as the quotation is in proper context and and accurate.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 04:22:34 AM »

Most of us with Camaros have well over $10K in just parts, not even counting our travel to shows and chasing parts and not counting the time invested in our own research.     
To those on the CRG who support us with INFORMATION on our cars - my sincerest gratitude is extended.

That said:  I think I'm done with this thread......
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 04:30:09 AM »

YUP......X2
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »
Lets say we discuss the fact that in 1969 it was common to assemble Camaros without engines.   Heads will start to explode around here!    listen- I simply do not have the time to engage on that level. 
And exactly how did they remove these vehicles from the assembly line and put them where? Have you been in a plant when it's running???
So, you wrote a book, but you can't actually provide any quotes from it?

YUP......X2
You guys understand. S2D2  = same st*ff, different day.
Stirs it up, but can't back it up.
Kurt S
CRG

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
And exactly how did they remove these vehicles from the assembly line and put them where? Have you been in a plant when it's running???
So, you wrote a book, but you can't actually provide any quotes from it?

YUP......X2
You guys understand. S2D2  = same st*ff, different day.
Stirs it up, but can't back it up.

You are right Kurt,   I and the Norwood guys are idiots for trying to reach out to you and the CRG.

What in the world were we thinking?   ::)

X3...

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »
You must have short arms if your reaching out.  Nothing to see or learn here, lets move along folks.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
You must have short arms if your reaching out.  Nothing to see or learn here, lets move along folks.

Offer still stands Mark... You would have a blast I am sure.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
I'm sure I would, but I've got way too much non Camaro related stuff going on right now, so there's no time for traveling.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »

No, it was NOT "common" to build 1969 Camaros without engines; in an assembly plant, a car with no engine was called a "glider", and for the supervisor responsible for creating the situation, it was a career-limiting move. It's a "story" that some plant folks love to "enhance" when talking to people who have never actually been in a plant or run production, as it sounds dramatic. It was.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »
John,

Thanks for going on the record on that issue. ;D

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »
Oh John,

Help me out here... I have copies of the personnel records from Norwood.. Your name does not appear anyplace... Can you elaborate when you worked at Norwood?

anything