Author Topic: 69 Z28 Engine Bay Pic's  (Read 102259 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: 69 Z28 Engine Bay Pic's
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
  Interesting you mention 'ink". I have see a few original stamps and they look like a high solids ink to me instead of paint.
 Before I stripped my firewall in the 80's had only seen 2 stamps out of 3 on each side so that is all I put back on the car.
Back then there were no stamps for sale and the meaning of those were unknown so I made my own with tracing paper and rubber and very thinned model paint. Now, from CRG I learned that there was also a green color used and several original example pictures posted show the green being faded more than the orange. I'm sure not that must have been the case with my car and didn't realize there was a green because I only looked for the orange.
  Anyhow.....I'm going to try a high solids ink this time out.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
Well my car only has the green on it, luckily nobody ever thought to " clean " up the engine compartment . But you can see the B was a lot more crisp than the P or the T.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2013, 10:55:50 PM »
Has anyone thought about the possibility of Fisher Body use a stenciling "INK" not paint.
Stencil Ink does not have the same consistency as traditional paints.
just a idea.

We use "Stenciling" INK to label Electrical Bussing and mark Naval circuit breakers for various hulls in the DoD side of ships repair all the time.

It does not cover very well and stamps crisp and fades with time, ,,,

Jim

Believe several of us have been saying that for a few years. Wish we would find out from someone who worked there.  It has never looked like a paint to me due to be so transparent and thin in thickness. 
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »
When I restored my 67 RS/SS, I found the original PBT stamps on the firewall behind the fenders. They were definitely some kind of ink.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2013, 02:20:24 AM »
Well my car only has the green on it, luckily nobody ever thought to " clean " up the engine compartment . But you can see the B was a lot more crisp than the P or the T.

The stamps I have look nothing like the originals when you compare them side by side. I am trying to find out if there is a supplier out there that makes a more accurate stamp.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2013, 03:12:57 AM »
 I wonder, was there some order the stamping occurred?  Was the car inspected in a certain sequence?

Mike

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
I wonder, was there some order the stamping occurred?  Was the car inspected in a certain sequence?

Mike

All three inspectors (Body, Paint and Trim Shop) were stationed at the end of the Fisher Trim Shop, just prior to the point where the body was shipped "through the wall" to Chevrolet; they worked independently.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »

Mike

All three inspectors (Body, Paint and Trim Shop) were stationed at the end of the Fisher Trim Shop, just prior to the point where the body was shipped "through the wall" to Chevrolet; they worked independently.

Hi John,

I assume it was a serial inspection method, so was it body first, then paint and finally trim?

Happy Holidays,
Mike

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »

John,  We all really appreciate your information and perspective, and I have a couple of questions concerned these 'marks' (understanding that I owned my car for over 30 yrs and never *saw* them, until getting on this camaro list.. :)..
1)  Why do some cars have the P T B on both side and and some only one one?
2)  Why do some cars have multiple stamps on one side of the car?  ie. My car had two T stamps... (one down below the trim tab)..
If you don't know of a specific reason for the above, I'd appreciate your 'best guess'...?

Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »

John,  We all really appreciate your information and perspective, and I have a couple of questions concerned these 'marks' (understanding that I owned my car for over 30 yrs and never *saw* them, until getting on this camaro list.. :)..
1)  Why do some cars have the P T B on both side and and some only one one?
2)  Why do some cars have multiple stamps on one side of the car?  ie. My car had two T stamps... (one down below the trim tab)..
If you don't know of a specific reason for the above, I'd appreciate your 'best guess'...?

Gary

Hey Gary my car had 2 Green "T" stamps on the drivers side and possibly a red "B". Those were the only remnants I found on my car. Not sure if the other letters faded away or wore off, of if that is all there ever was on the firewall. From what I am reading so far however it sounds like all cars got all of the stamps. Also note that some cars had both colour stamps on different letters, which seems to be a much rarer occurrence, that all one colour.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2013, 05:25:01 AM »

Mike

6q6qAll three inspectors (Body, Paint and Trim Shop) were stationed at the end of the Fisher Trim Shop, just prior to the point where the body was shipped "through the wall" to Chevrolet; they worked independently.
So does the green vs orange hold true if inspectors rotated on and off-shift independently and only cars which came through during shift change had the POSSIBILITY of having different color stamps?
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
Jon Mello had a picture of those brackets he took off his 67Z back in the day.

Chick, just to clarify, I did not take those spark plug shields and brackets off. They were from my green '67 Z that I bought right from the original owner. The car was a factory header and cowl plenum car and the headers were installed the first week he had the car. Everything that came off was kept and put away by him. The exhaust manifolds and the sections of exhaust pipe that were removed (that were the length of the headers) were absolutely pristine, as were the shields, etc. I had no doubt they came off the car when new.
Jon Mello
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2013, 02:57:06 AM »
good story, makes you want to give the seller an "atta boy" pat on the back. Also neat to get the items removed with the car. How many people would have the forethought? Not many I would think. Plus as Jon says definitely backs up the story
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »

Mike

6q6qAll three inspectors (Body, Paint and Trim Shop) were stationed at the end of the Fisher Trim Shop, just prior to the point where the body was shipped "through the wall" to Chevrolet; they worked independently.
So does the green vs orange hold true if inspectors rotated on and off-shift independently and only cars which came through during shift change had the POSSIBILITY of having different color stamps?

We'll probably never know, as things/people changed from day to day; those folks were "Final Buyoff" inspectors, the last people to look at the body after line repairmen and line inspectors had worked off any open items further back on the line. If a body didn't get a "B", "P", or "T", it didn't go up the hill to Chevrolet until it was repaired and bought-off.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »
So about the only way you could get a set of multi colored stamps was if 1 or more of the inspectors was happy and put their stamp on, and the 2nd or 3rd rejected the car for his area.  Then the car had to be repaired for whatever caused it to be rejected and then got reinspected on another shift.  Say the Paint and Body inspections went well and got orang stamps, but a peice of trim was messed up, or incorrectly installed and got rejected.  The car got pulled aside and someone would have to come and fix whatever the issue was before the "T" guy could affix his stamp.  If the car was originally inspected near the end of a shift, it could be the next shift before the issue was resolved and the car reinspected and stuck back onto the line.  So now you end up with orange P, and B's, but a green T on your firewall.

I'm assuming they had to pull it off line at the final inspection point if it failed to get the issue resolved because there would probably be very little time to fix it between the inspection, and the body going thru the wall the Chevrolet.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11