Author Topic: 69 Z28 Engine Bay Pic's  (Read 102270 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Re: 69 Z28 Engine Bay Pic's
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2013, 01:02:57 AM »
The 1968 Z/28 Engine Compartment picture came from the September/October 1996 Camaro Enthusiast.

Contents Page
for page 36
"ENGINE COMPARTMENT DETAILING '67 - '69
Many Camaro engine compartments are the same after '69 as far as what is
painted what.  Most '70 - '74 were identical with few exceptions.  However this
article is dedicated to the 1st Generation Owners.  The photo is a 1968 Z28
engine compartment from Chevrolet.  We reproduced the photo full size so you
may see the details, and then put the arrows with numbers on the same picture."

The article is pages 36-39.  The previous picture is page 36.  Here's pages 37 - 39.

Great article David. Thanks for posting.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2013, 01:48:05 AM »
  I assume this is only for the Z-28? I only ask this because of alternator fan/pulley finish differences I have seen between 2-piece and 1-piece pulley/fans designs.
Interesting how they list silver cad several times. I wonder if they confused it with silver zinc plating. I believe John Z stated on another thread that cad was not used much during the 1st gen production because of the known inherited health risks.

Mike

I was thinking that the original prints called out cad or zinc plating as the finish and due to cost & what you referred to was the reasoning for the common use of zinc plate..

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2013, 02:53:41 AM »
JohnZ over the years has mentioned many times here and on other forums print spec's gave the supplier either option but since the clear zinc was cheaper that is what suppliers mostly used. This was before what we know now about cad plating.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2013, 03:39:07 AM »
Here is the picture Jon Mello supplied some time back showing the spark plug shield brackets that were attached to the engine and painted and then on the engine dress line the remainder of the shield was screwed on along with installation of the other sides one piece shields.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2013, 03:41:30 AM »
JohnZ over the years has mentioned many times here and on other forums print spec's gave the supplier either option but since the clear zinc was cheaper that is what suppliers mostly used. This was before what we know now about cad plating.

Hey Chick what do we know about cad plating now?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2013, 03:47:16 AM »

Health/Cancer issue!
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2013, 03:50:59 AM »

Health/Cancer issue!

Are you referring to the plating process itself? What is the difference in health risk between Cad and Zink? Sorry I am new to this. Perhaps I should google it. Both processes are still in use correct?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2013, 03:57:24 AM »
those are interesting pics did the passenger side ever come with screws? I noticed JohnZ has screws on his passenger side shields is why I ask. Maybe his got replaced at one point?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2013, 04:00:48 AM »

Health/Cancer issue!

Are you referring to the plating process itself? What is the difference in health risk between Cad and Zink? Sorry I am new to this. Perhaps I should google it. Both processes are still in use correct?
I ain't no doctor Mike LOL :) but yes both processes are still in use. Cad producing shops are mostly used by the aeronautical and military sectors. Due to health concerns with cancer I believe those shops are closely monitored (OSHA).  We did not have any cad in any mfg. plants I worked in so NO expert here......
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2013, 04:08:14 AM »

Health/Cancer issue!

I ain't no doctor Mike LOL :) but yes both processes are still in use. Cad producing shops are mostly used by the aeronautical and military sectors. Due to health concerns with cancer I believe those shops are closely monitored (OSHA).  We did not have any cad in any mfg. plants I worked in so NO expert here......

Thanks Chick I will follow up on it. Always good to be well informed if there are any hazards in our hobby.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2013, 04:30:11 AM »
those are interesting pics did the passenger side ever come with screws? I noticed JohnZ has screws on his passenger side shields is why I ask. Maybe his got replaced at one point?
Maybe JohnZ will comment if he sees your post. Don't remember seeing a survivor with them on the passenger side but to be honest don't think I would have caught it over a couple years ago anyway. You would also think or wonder why the engine dress line would have brackets that were not used by them. 
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2013, 03:59:48 PM »
I noticed JohnZ has screws on his passenger side shields is why I ask. Maybe his got replaced at one point?
Maybe JohnZ will comment if he sees your post. Don't remember seeing a survivor with them on the passenger side but to be honest don't think I would have caught it over a couple years ago anyway. You would also think or wonder why the engine dress line would have brackets that were not used by them.  
[/quote]

The brackets on mine may not be original - they may have been changed or misplaced in 1970 when the "CE" block was installed; I never noticed.

Cadmium plating on automotive items and fasteners was eliminated many years ago (like 20-30) when cadmium was recognized as a carcinogen, and was replaced by zinc plating. About the only place you'll find cadmium plating today is in aircraft components, primarily in propeller shops.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2013, 03:19:01 AM »
I decided to do some test stamps today. However before I started I decided to clean up the stamps to see if I could yield a better result.

Here is the stamp before I worked on it. You can see all of the excess rubber around the B.

First I drilled out the holes in the B with a 3/16 drill. Here you can see the holes drilled in the B & The P.

Next I trimmed the excess material around the cut out Letters with a razor blade.

Then I tried a few test stamps with some latex paint and a piece of plywood. Not an ideal situation, but enough to indicate if I am going in the right direction. As you can see I used a foam brush to apply the paint to the stamps. I found that the key is to apply the least amount of paint possible. Next time I will try an even smaller foam brush and thinner paint on a metal surface. That should give me a better idea of how close I can get to what I am looking for.

The test turned out ok overall. The second one from the bottom was the first test and the driest. I also pressed the lightest on that stamp. The harder you press the more distorted the stamp will be. The rubber stamp is fairly form, but the black rubber underneath the clear rummer is very soft and compresses quite easily.

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2013, 03:25:13 AM »
I decided to do some test stamps today. However before I started I decided to clean up the stamps to see if I could yield a better result.

Here is the stamp before I worked on it. You can see all of the excess rubber around the B.

First I drilled out the holes in the B with a 3/16 drill. Here you can see the holes drilled in the B & The P.

Next I trimmed the excess material around the cut out Letters with a razor blade.

Then I tried a few test stamps with some latex paint and a piece of plywood. Not an ideal situation, but enough to indicate if I am going in the right direction. As you can see I used a foam brush to apply the paint to the stamps. I found that the key is to apply the least amount of paint possible. Next time I will try an even smaller foam brush and thinner paint on a metal surface. That should give me a better idea of how close I can get to what I am looking for.

The test turned out ok overall. The second one from the bottom was the first test and the driest. I also pressed the lightest on that stamp. The harder you press the more distorted the stamp will be. The rubber stamp is fairly firm, but the black rubber underneath the clear rubber is very soft and compresses quite easily.

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
Has anyone thought about the possibility of Fisher Body use a stenciling "INK" not paint.
Stencil Ink does not have the same consistency as traditional paints.
just a idea.

We use "Stenciling" INK to label Electrical Bussing and mark Naval circuit breakers for various hulls in the DoD side of ships repair all the time.

It does not cover very well and stamps crisp and fades with time, ,,,

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS