Author Topic: 69 Z28 Engine Bay Pic's  (Read 102771 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Z28 Engine Bay Pic's
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 02:52:48 AM »
Upper control arms were assembled to the shaft with the bushings, then dip painted black. Ball joint added afterwards. So the shafts were painted to begin with but it did not adhere well. If you look closely at the Hot Rod test car it is apparent.

Very well done engine bay David!

William,

Were the washer and bolts added after the A-arm was mounted to the frame, or was it part of the completed and painted assembly (minus the tightening of the bolts of course).

Mike

Washer and bolt were installed and painted with the control arm. The only vintage road test photo I know of where it is clearly visible is the July '68 PHR test of a '68 Camaro SS.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:12 AM »
Hi William,

So if one were to be a completely die-hard nut for accuracy then the bolts (painted) should show signs of edge paint mar due to tightening. Similar to the painted alternator bracket mounting stud on 396 motors that had a nut installed during engine dressing.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 04:25:08 AM »
Something I noticed was the first pic shows the power steering cap as the plastic multi rib top.  When was the transition from the other 2 rib metal cap?  My Nov built 307 car had the 2 rib metal cap..?..  Was it another case of multiple suppliers?
I've been watching PS caps for years - never seen an original 69 Camaro with a metal one. Possibly other car lines.....
There was a big discussion about them in the past.

I found the thread after a search & I am still not sure it can be 100% confirmed that all 69's came with the plastic cap...  Personally I would think either or would be acceptable (assuming the metal cap was painted black).  67-8 would be zinc'd or natural.  I actually just re-zinc'd 2 metal caps this morning.  One was painted black with zinc underneath & the other was just zinc...  One that was just zinc has a longer plastic dipstick & is clear or yellowed from age.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Hi William,

So if one were to be a completely die-hard nut for accuracy then the bolts (painted) should show signs of edge paint mar due to tightening. Similar to the painted alternator bracket mounting stud on 396 motors that had a nut installed during engine dressing.

Mike

The end bushing bolts were tightened at Chevrolet-Warren (in a fixture that pre-set the angle of the upper control arm relative to the shaft) prior to painting; the bushing bolts would have no tool marks of any kind through the paint.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »
 Thanks, John. That's good news in that the assembled unit would look cleaner with no paint mar's.
It is interesting to explain how the factory prepared a car back then to the viewing public when they see what looks to them like sloppy restoration work on our part.
Looking at page 102 in Echoes of Norwood it shows a clear view of the A-arm mounted and everything black.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »
There are a few low milage cars still out there that have been stored well, this will put you on the right path.

If there are some 69 Z/28's with very low miles and stored well, I hope they post up some pics of their original unrestored engine bay.  I really like the pictures that JohnZ has posted.

My Z had 8 owners before me and most of the former owners made changes and repairs.  It only had 59,000 miles on it when I bought it but changes were made.  Even looking at 1969 magazines, it seems that day 2 changes were being made right on day 2.

my engine before restoration:

after restoration pics:

Wow Dave really like your car. Turned out very nice. excellent detail work. Very crisp and clean. I hope mine turns out that nice when I am done.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:20 PM »
You may want to check your orientation on your exhaust heat riser valve, we are discussing this on another thread on CRG. I think one person said it looks like this in the AIM others had factory unrestored ones parallel with the frame rail, or maybe they were installed both ways?
Also I can't tell for sure but your spark plug boot shields should have a semi curve notch in them, I can't seem to see it on yours, but maybe they have them and your manifolds are to clean for me to tell from the pic.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 12:26:15 AM »
Hey Dave what finish is on your alternator fan blade.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

DavidS

• z28.net
    • View Profile
    • www.z28.net
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
Upper control arms were assembled to the shaft with the bushings, then dip painted black. Ball joint added afterwards. So the shafts were painted to begin with but it did not adhere well. If you look closely at the Hot Rod test car it is apparent.

Very well done engine bay David!

Thanks William!  I have a very high regard for your opinion and I definitely appreciate your input.  I have learned an incredible amount on the CRG and I still have a lot to learn.

I have two more engine pics:

DavidS

• z28.net
    • View Profile
    • www.z28.net
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »
You may want to check your orientation on your exhaust heat riser valve, we are discussing this on another thread on CRG. I think one person said it looks like this in the AIM others had factory unrestored ones parallel with the frame rail, or maybe they were installed both ways?
Also I can't tell for sure but your spark plug boot shields should have a semi curve notch in them, I can't seem to see it on yours, but maybe they have them and your manifolds are to clean for me to tell from the pic.

I had the heat risers on the other way and I got a 1-point deduction for it.  Maybe some were installed the other way, I'm really not sure.

I'll check the spark plug boot shields.

Thanks!

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »
Hey David 2 questions. Is your Alternator fan zink plated and where did you get you rad hoses?

Thanks
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 09:34:41 PM »
with the new pics you posted, it is easier for me to see the spark plug boot shields look correct . BUT I see your heat riser valve positioned differently now as well. Is this the corrected pic?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:37 PM »
Looks quite NICE David. Love to see those detailed engine pictures. :)
Kind of hard to see in some nooks with the pictures but again, very nice. I had mentioned to you at the MD June meet about the a-arm dog bones and washer bolt combo not being painted black and the only thing I can note is the heater hoses dual clamp seems to be black painted but again hard to really know from the picture.   
Great looking Camaro David!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

DavidS

• z28.net
    • View Profile
    • www.z28.net
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 02:07:45 AM »
Hey David 2 questions. Is your Alternator fan zink plated and where did you get you rad hoses?

Thanks

Hi Mike, I've been wracking my brain over the last few hours trying to remember some of the stuff I've done.  My wife and I bought a foreclosure house back in April and mentally I've been all over the place since then.  

Anyway....the original alternator fan was very rusty when I bought the car.  If I'm remembering right, I went with Zinc plating.  For the radiator hoses, I got them from pacecarjeff.

DavidS

• z28.net
    • View Profile
    • www.z28.net
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 02:09:10 AM »
with the new pics you posted, it is easier for me to see the spark plug boot shields look correct . BUT I see your heat riser valve positioned differently now as well. Is this the corrected pic?
The 3 engine pics I posted recently (front pic and the 2 side pics) are all taken after the correction to the heat riser valve.

anything