News:

Classified ads are not allowed on the forum.

Main Menu

DOT 5 Fluid in New Braking System

Started by Z10Mike, September 03, 2026, 04:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z10Mike

Been doing a fair amount of research online re: DOT5 vs DOT3,4,5.1 brake fluid in classic vehicle brake systems.  I previously used DOT 5 in a 1960 Vette with stock brakes and hoses.  It was in there for 15 years without incident.  Now I am reading new accounts of brake hoses swelling from DOT5 use and causing problems. My intent was to avoid any issues during bleeding or maintenance that would attack my new body and undercarriage paint. Because nothing like that would ever happen...right?
Does anyone have actual experience with DOT 5 in your car?

GMAD_Van Nuys


David K

The silicone appears to be the culprit, DOT 3 or 5

Z10Mike

GMAD - Thanks for the link for reference.  I missed that one.

GMAD_Van Nuys

Motive has a cover that you can put over a dual reservoir master cylinder and avoid spilling brake fluid as you pressurized the brake system and bleed the calipers/wheel cylinders by opening the valve:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-1105?seid=srese1&ppckw=pmax-tools&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=19201424812#overview

I use a MiniVac hand-powered vacuum pump to empty the master cylinder and to bleed the brakes on my vintage cars and those that have ABS without a problem.

x66 714

Quote from: Z10Mike on September 03, 2026, 04:57:16 PMBeen doing a fair amount of research online re: DOT5 vs DOT3,4,5.1 brake fluid in classic vehicle brake systems.  I previously used DOT 5 in a 1960 Vette with stock brakes and hoses.  It was in there for 15 years without incident.  Now I am reading new accounts of brake hoses swelling from DOT5 use and causing problems. My intent was to avoid any issues during bleeding or maintenance that would attack my new body and undercarriage paint. Because nothing like that would ever happen...right?
Does anyone have actual experience with DOT 5 in your car?

Read post 2 & 3 from the thread link provided.....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

x66 714

I will add that this was in April of 2024 when I had to do all that work. I changed to DOT 4 & the problem no longer exists. Mike Gibbons also indicated that he will not warrantee any brake component that has been used with DOT 5 fluid.....Joe   
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Z10Mike

Thanks to all who replied with information and advice. I went with conventional DOT3 brake fluid.  Was sweating bullets until I got all the flares seated and avoided any drips on the paint. The worst connection was at the frame mounted valve to rear line fitting.  Took some work to get that one to stop weeping. 

GMAD_Van Nuys

I only commented about the master cylinder cover being available as a way to prevent brake fluid (no matter what the type used) from spilling out into the engine compartment.  I even bought an OBD2 scanner that can reset the ABS unit if I got air into the system.  I will admit that working on brakes has never been much fun for me!