Author Topic: Shifter Boot...  (Read 12686 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Shifter Boot...
« on: August 31, 2012, 02:59:38 AM »
I presently have a rubber shifter boot on my '68 Z/28 which always seemed kinda small or tight for the throws of the shifter handle. I now notice it is getting ripped where the handle protrudes through, from the pressure of the handle and appears it isn't the correct design for the job.
I have noticed a few other non-console Z/28's like mine pictured lately that seem to have boots which appear taller with at least one or more folds - allowing I assume, more back and forth movement, without tearing like mine has.
Can anyone recommend where I can one that best mimics an original in appearance yet maintains a reasonable price? The one I have was purchased many years back from a noted supplier (which I can't recall now) and was supposed to be "OEM replacement style" but obviously isn't proper.
Thanks for any help...

Randy

dutch

• View Profile
Re: Shifter Boot...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
"appear taller with at least one or more folds".. 
 What I meant to say was "with at least one or more folds more than mine"...

Randy

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
I've asked that one quite a few times before and not gotten a real definitive answer.  I got one from HBC and it works fine.  I just don't know how accurate it is to the original.
68Z28

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
Here are some photos of an original boot, but it has been torn on top. This is the style of boot you should be looking for. I do not have any experience buying reproduction boots. I've just purchased NOS GM boots in the past.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
Here are two more photos of an original GM shift boot, the style which is original for your '68 Z/28.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
Here are some photos of an NOS GM shift boot that came out of an original box with a 1989 date on it.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
Here are a few more shots of my NOS shift boot.
Jon Mello
CRG

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Jon - they are worth a thousand words...
What I have now is close in appearance but as mentioned appears to be shorter in height than those you show and that probably is the main reason for the rip it has now developed where the shifter rod goes through the grommet at the top.
Yours and the GM versions pictured appear to be the type that would solve much of my problem if shorter transplates into more stress where the handle and boot meet - just have to figure out where to find something reasonably cheaper than trying to chase down NOS stuff.
I assume the plate shown in the photos is the correct GM one for such an application as well? It seems to be exactly what mine looks like and from the originality of the rest of the car expect that it would be original.
Thanks again - Randy

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
Jon. Is this the boot for a console car?...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 04:40:43 PM »
Randy, I'm glad those photos were helpful to you. Can you post a photo of your boot so I can better understand what you have? The plate seen with the boot in my first batch of photos is the correct one for your application.

Joe, the boot that I pictured is not for use with the D55 center console.
Jon Mello
CRG

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
Yours and the GM versions pictured appear to be the type that would solve much of my problem if shorter transplates into more stress where the handle and boot meet - just have to figure out where to find something reasonably cheaper than trying to chase down NOS stuff.

Randy,

Have you checked out the one HBC sells?

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/16610/Camaro-Shifter-boot-no-console-67-68/

Paul

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »
Jon:  I am not near the car for a couple of days but I will try and see how they compare and try and get a picture when I am - thanks.
Paul: The one you posted a link to certainly does look very similar to the ones that Jon posted pictures of - that may be where I have to go for my next one - Thanks also..

Randy

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »
Randy, there is a shift boot in this ebay auction that is made by SoffSeal. It looks pretty much like it might be the same as that offered by Heartbeat City and it is a couple of bucks cheaper. I don't know for a fact whether it is the same as Heartbeat's. You'll have to do your own research. The picture in the ad makes it appear as though it is quite similar to an original GM boot but you won't know for certain until you get it in your hands and compare it to my photos.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »
Randy, there are some ebay shift boot auctions by lonestarcarparts and gmpartsfinder and they are selling for several dollars less than the ones above but they don't look as accurate, judging by the pictures provided.
Jon Mello
CRG

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
Thanks again Jon for all the pictures and trouble you have taken - Ebay etc... to assist me!
I looked at mine last evening when I was near the car and it does look a lot smaller and shorter than the one(s) you pictured and what HBC shows is available on their site.
I didn't have access to a camera at the time, but I am sure the one(s) you pictured as well as the HBC version (which appear to be very, if not perfectly similar) are at least 1 fold of rubber taller than what my presently ripped one is and to my way of thinking that would make that type a lot more flexible and less likely to tear again, so for the sake of a couple of $$'s I just ordered one from HBC as I don't have an Ebay or Paypal account.
Thanks to you and Paul as well for the time and assistance - hopefully it will cure my problem...
Even if its not a perfect match for the real thing, at least it will be tons better than what I presently have and hopefully good for a few more years - it certainly will improve the interior appearance as the ripped boot kinda stood out!
Much appreciated - Randy

anything