Author Topic: Introduce myself an my car  (Read 25509 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce myself an my car
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 02:08:15 AM »
If that car didn't work out, i have seen some nice camaros on Ebay and i think on camaros.net in Florida recently.

I'm leaning towards this being a legit stamp. Just want to get a closer look at the pad.
Andre’- There is no way of knowing exactly what was stamped on your original transmission. What I can say is there were 45,806 M20’s sold in ’67. More than were sold in ’68 & ’69. My point is they were flying off the shelves so the date should be within one month or less from your cars January build date; the closer the better (please KIM, this is where I'd like to see the date for a tranny but it wasn't always the case). I too have an L48 (TH350) which was built the 1st week in Dec. ’68 and its transmission is dated November 14.

Two members offered info on transmissions that would both work for your purpose; Jon & Paul. If any members would know what transmissions would qualify it would certainly be them. Check out some of their past posts and you’ll see what I mean.

Andre', I agree with Marty on both counts.  By any chance is the seller providing you with any original paperwork or the POP?

While the original question was about a 69, read Williams comments in the following thread:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9787.0
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

ChronoX

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
FYI I have a new rebuilt P7P 4 speed. No miles never installed.

Many thanks Daniel, should the need arise I will remember this offer, same to Jon & Paul.

ChronoX

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »
QUESTION to the experts.

Starting position:
Car build period was:
01 = January, 1967, the month car was built.
D = Fourth week of the month.
That means dates between: Monday 01-23-67 to Sunday 01-29-67 correct?

What date was exactly stamped on my original 67 transmission for my car?

That date is when the build period started. Figure a few days afterwards it was completed providing it didn't get pulled to the side for anything out of the norm. I haven't looked at the Julian date calculator to see if your day dates are accurate. As an example of a 'period' my 67 has a 4B date on the trim tag and the UOIT shows a date of April 13th. Almost at the end of that period.
   But, don't get hung up on the tranny date stamp. The date stamped could have been several weeks before the car build date and sat in inventory before being used. The fact that it will not be the original tranny will not make any "P" date any more valuable unless you happen to find the real case with the VIN stamped in it. Most cars today do not have their original trannys so it will not impact the value of the car much at all if you plan on selling it later.
  Don't worry about the tranny and just enjoy the car while you have your health and some $$$$ in your pocket. Life is short!

Mike

Mike - Many thanks again for your commitment!
I know that it is almost impossible to find the original transmission. Like a win in the lottery.
That is why i am searching only for a "date correct" muncie M20, to replace the installed 69 Muncie with Hurst shifter.
But you are absolutly right with de $$$$ an the health ;-)
So, i am just collecting information about the transmission in this great forum to achieve a correct replacement at some point.

ChronoX

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
OK, thank you guys, semms there is no closer connection, function or rule between the build date an the transmission date, exept the transmission date has to bee bevor the build date period.

ChronoX

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »

Andre', I agree with Marty on both counts.  By any chance is the seller providing you with any original paperwork or the POP?

While the original question was about a 69, read Williams comments in the following thread:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9787.0

Unfortunately, no paperwork, POP or Buildsheet.

ChronoX

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »
Welcome Andre'

Does the partial engine VIN match the hidden VIN? Look below the windshield area under the cowl vent panel closely for the stamped hidden VIN.
What is the block casting date? Can you post pictues of the engine pad?

Mike

Now i can say, affirmed VIN and "hidden" VIN match :) (checked below the windshield area under the cowl vent panel) no photo possible.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
ChronoX, you actually can get a picture of the passenger cowl hidden vin. My trick is I use soap stone. They use it to mark steel when cutting and fabricating. It is very thin and will fit between the louvers. You have to be easy with it cause it is brittle. But make sure you clean the area first with pressured water or carb clean er something. Then let dry and stick the stone down there and fill up the numbers with it by dragging it back and forth accross the area. Then lightly blow the excess away between the letters. With your mouth, NOT compressed air. And presto, you are ready for high lighted pictures.... Danny

ChronoX

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »
better pic of my cowl tag incl. rivets

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »
From the picture the right rivet looks correct, but the left one is incorrect.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director