Author Topic: Correct '69 A/C Restoration  (Read 24120 times)

NoYenko

• View Profile
Re: Correct '69 A/C Restoration
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »
Mark, Nice pictures. Can you measure the length of the hose insulation on that hose were it goes under the core support?
I believe your hose was made by Goodyear  "GY", with a date code of "0379" 37Th day of 69. How does that compare to your car build date?
One of my hoses was marked "P-7510" the type of ac hose, "USR" US Rubber bought buy UniRoyal, and "2-4-4-8" 244 day of 1968. That agrees with my build date. The fitting on the end was dated "2848"
Marty, I was cleaning & inspecting some other AC hoses and noticed small pin marks the length of the hose in a straight line. It may be from the manufacturing process of the hose. George

IZRSSS

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »
George - That blows me away! I had no idea the lines and fittings were date coded. I believe Mark’s are date coded as well. If we find someone who can duplicate the fittings, maybe Don_Lightfoot can come up with the stamps. I think the ribbed rubber is still being sold so that shouldn’t a problem.

FWIW I added one of the many AIM pgs that show the insulators. I have reason to believe the lengths were more of a judgment call on the part of the line worker. The bottom arrow shows that insulator running almost the full length of the line, and the top arrow shows only one insulator. I have seen pics of survivor cars with two.

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
Im guessing that early built 69's had carry over 68 parts like Mark said.. my car is 10D build in LA, an LM1. Just fyi if anyone can connect the dots on when they went to the plastic strap. I will have to look at that steel ring again and see if it is an upside down 19 but I dont think it is... love a mystery. :)
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »
Another pic of my layout after I bought all new hoses and the alum. block and canister that connects to the side of the compressor.. I bought them all from 'oldairproducts' in Texas. I had issues with the fit of the canister where it bolts to the compressor, it was built with a 'throw' way to long to reach the bolt hole in the compressor. I had to use a long sleeve and adapt...grrr... then the take of from the canister turned toward the fender instead of 'down' so that put another bend in the hose to get it to where it belongs.
 I didnt use the grommet in the pass. side fender either, the hose was to large for it, so I just routed it where it fit.

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »
Found my pic from when the new hose setup arrived... you can see the canister build is way off from the original one. The crimps are not at all like original either.

IZRSSS

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 02:09:35 PM »
Click – now that you and Mark mention it I do recall a design change that was discussed several month’s back. I believe the change happened sometime between your cars build date and mine (12A). I also recall saying something along the line; sure glad they made that change before they got to mine. No telling how much rubber was chewed up before their lights finally turned on. :)

Thanks for the pics!

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
I found an old pic of a 69 with 307 V8 showing the a/c hoses and the insulators and ties but I have no clue what the build date was but since its a 307 it had to be later in the build year when it came out.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 06:17:26 PM »
Marty, I can't say I remember seeing any AC hoses that were ribbed back then. The location & the legnth of the insulation in the above picture looks like what I have seen.George

IZRSSS

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
George - Thanks for your diplomatic response. Anyone else would have hammered me pretty hard and rightfully so; that would be one ugly a/c line  :-[. I was trying to describe yours on reply 15. I've seen them on supplier catalogs. Would that be braided?

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 12:23:29 AM »
Marty, the picture of the car I posted is a 10D build NOR car and it used the plastic ties and had two pieces of insulation on the long hose. Also this hose was already installed by the supplier of the hoses, not the assy line workers at Chevrolet so the lengths shoudn't vary much. Wish I still had the car here to get you some more info as it hadn't been touched when I got it other than a cheap used car lot underhood "detail" (i use that term loosely).............RatPack.....................
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

IZRSSS

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
Also this hose was already installed by the supplier of the hoses,

ATS...you learn somethin ever day but thanks for pointing that out.

Steve S. also sent me some pics and like yours, had two insulators on the "long hose". But again...I've seen them w/both (one/two).

Thanks Troy.

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
Marty
My hose looks almost exactly like the one Mark posted on the previous page. I have a date code of, or what looks to be, 0249. I found only one stamp on a fitting with "050     9" or from what I can deduce.
Chris
69 SS 350

IZRSSS

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
Thanks for checking Chris!

Well something good finally happened. I posted a pic that didn’t even belong on George's A/C thread. Come to find out, he spotted my condenser hose in that same pic and it looks like an original. I’ll post some better pics of that hose once I get back into town.

While I'm at it, I noticed several hoses from Mark's & George's pics that I want to explore. I think there are some others on my car that are original as well (just about as many aren't  :(). It would be nice to weed out the repops so I know where I stand...

IZRSSS

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 12:50:26 AM »
George - Here are the dates from my car’s hoses and fittings. One of the fittings is two days past the car’s 12A build date but I assume that’s okay. I also noticed that we have the same exact fittings for this portion of the A/C unit. Both have the same crimp and the “Anchor” logo from the Anchor Bolt Company. I can’t make out the stamp/logo from your larger fittings; are they made by the same company?

IZRSSS

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »
...and one more;

anything