Author Topic: second generation Trans Am ruling  (Read 8452 times)

Reinhold

• View Profile
second generation Trans Am ruling
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:08:58 AM »
I am a member of S.O.V.R.E.N. in the inland North West and there was a recent rule change to allow vintage race cars "Trans AM" up to 1972.
I was going over this sights page     http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7850.0   which lists all of SCCA's ruling for the Trans Am series and I was not able to find anything prohibiting aluminum angle plug cylinder heads for the 72 season.
I am in the process of building a 1970 Camaro to 72 spec. I see from the rule book that I am able to change the differential to a 9" full floating differential, dry sump engine oil system, 6" "H" beam piston connecting rod and four wheel disc brake as long as I stay under 305ci and 3200 lbs.
I guess my main question is, can I run aluminum angle plug heads and still meet the rules to compete under SCCA era correct ruling ?

Any help would be highly appreciated
Reinhold

TooManyReels

• View Profile
Re: second generation Trans Am ruling
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Jon Mello would be the person on this site to best answer this questions...Maybe he will chime in....Or relocate this to the Trans Am section further down the list....

TMR
Eddie
Eddie
63 Chevy II SS 570hp 560tq.
69 Z28 X33 Cross Ram JL8

Reinhold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »
Thanks Eddie

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:02:36 AM »
For the West Coast Historic Trans-Am group, you are not allowed to run your Camaro with aluminum heads nor angle plug heads. Even though dry sump oiling was allowed by SCCA beginning with the '71 season, the Historic T/A group does not allow it on a Chevrolet. I have seen them allow AMC engines to run dry sump systems but they feel the AMC stuff is hard to get and that those engines would be more hard pressed to survive whereas a Chevrolet wet sump system, especially with an Aviaid pan, is up to the task. There is no issue with running a 9" in your '70 Camaro as that was allowed beginning in the '70 season. My understanding is you can run a longer rod if you want but you need to be running a 305" engine. This all pertains to cars with authentic Trans-Am race history running in the Historic Trans-Am group. If your car does not have that sort of race history and you are not running in the HTA group, then there may be some other criteria that is allowable or that you have to meet.
Jon Mello
CRG

Reinhold

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:16:40 AM »
Thank you for the input Jon.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
You're welcome, Reinhold.  I'm happy to be of help.
Jon Mello
CRG

Reinhold

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:42:20 PM »
Jon,
 Would you have a good lead on what tires to run? (sizes and brand)
Are Hoosiers any good?

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 05:29:09 AM »
Hello Reinhold,

In the west coast Historic Trans-Am the "spec tire" and sizes are:

Front: Goodyear Blue Streak, Sports Car Special size 6.00 - 15
Rear:  Goodyear Blue Streak, Sports Car Special size 7.00 - 15

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »
Reinhold,

Chad is right about the tires that are used for Historic Trans-Am racing. The Hoosiers are a good tire and a bit cheaper but it was decided by the HTA group to go with the Goodyears.
Jon Mello
CRG

Reinhold

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 03:28:37 AM »
Thanks for all your input guys,
Sovren has no ruling on tire except 15"x 8" wheel...so it's run what you brung ;D   
Have a set of Hoosier 215/580R15 R75 compound on there way. I guess this will be a good start to fit on the car.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »
Those are slicks and radials whereas HTA cars use bias-ply tires with some minimal tread. Since you don't have a tire spec called out, it wouldn't seem to be a problem.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything