Author Topic: SCCA Trans-Am car valuation seminar  (Read 5285 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
SCCA Trans-Am car valuation seminar
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:57:38 PM »
Kurt S tipped me off about a free seminar being put on by the Hagerty Insurance people this coming weekend. It discusses the current market value of these cars and probably some other details. Too much distance and not enough pre-notification for me to make it but maybe some of you guys who live closer might have an interest.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Join Hagerty at the Concours d’Elegance of America on Saturday, July 28, for a free seminar in which our valuation experts take on the cars of the SCCA Trans-Am Series.

2012 marks forty years since the end of the muscle car era and the horsepower wars. Some of the most popular collectible sports and pony cars of today earned their reputations in the SCCA Trans-Am Series, which was considered by many to be the high-water mark of American road racing. From 1968 to 1972 (which is generally accepted as the golden era of the series), A-list drivers like Mark Donohue, Parnelli Jones, Sam Posey, Dan Gurney, John Morton and Vic Elford battled on the track and for showroom traffic, living the adage “race on Sunday, sell on Monday.”  Hagerty’s valuation team of Dave Kinney and Rob Sass take a look at the values of the chief protagonists of the SCCA Trans-AM series: The Plymouth ‘Cuda AAR, AMC Javelin, Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang Boss 302 as well as the Porsche 911S, Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV, Datsun 240Z and Datsun 510.

Seats are limited and on a first-come, first-served basis, so please RSVP to mklooster@hagerty.com to reserve your spot. All respondents will be placed into a drawing to receive a free Griot’s car cleaning kit.

SCAA Trans-Am Series Car Assessment
Where: Inn at St. John’s, Galilee Room; Plymouth, Mich.
When: Saturday, July 28, at 9 a.m.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: SCCA Trans-Am car valuation seminar
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
Did anyone end up going to this? I'm curious if they had any actual Trans-Am cars on display.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
Hi Jon,

Had another engagement across Saturday morning that precluded my attendance of the valuation seminar, whereas I'm curious in retrospect what was said.  In particular, did they focus on homologation special values, might attention have been afforded to actual period race cars, brass tag details, rival vintage sanctioning bodies and the cultures existing within them, etc.?  Who knows - perhaps WE could have afforded a like-quality presentation!  

Although the focus was on the U2/2.5 Challenge cars at nearby Waterford Hills Road Racing, four O2 cars were seen at the 2012 Concours of America de Elegance in Plymouth, MI.  These were as follows: A purported '67 BME Cougar, the '71/'64 Tempest Gray Ghost, the '70 Autodynamics #76 Challenger in Kent '70 specification, as well as the '69 Camaro prepared by the University of Pittsburgh on the ARE TA70 wheels.  Many stories were told, many research binders were inspected, and a nice time was had.  Regret Sat. seminar was missed, thanks for calling our collective attention to it.

Mike K.

crazyamc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
My guess would be this is for the "street" cars, not the actual raced cars.....  ( just a guess )    Ken

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »
Greetings,

In all likelihood you are correct.  Visiting another messageaboard, someone left a YouTube link affording a view of what O2 cars were on the field at the event, as well a clip capturing each running simultaneously.  Click to sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2xOLXjn5DM

M.K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
My guess would be this is for the "street" cars, not the actual raced cars.....  ( just a guess )    Ken

I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me but you are probably right.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything