CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 11:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
102445 Posts in 12090 Topics by 4668 Members
Latest Member: Carbuff
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Model Specific Discussions
| |-+  Trans-Am Camaros
| | |-+  1972 Trans-Am season review
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2  All Print
Author Topic: 1972 Trans-Am season review  (Read 3730 times)
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »

A Competition Press & Autoweek preview of the coming 1972 Trans-Am season, courtesy of Robert Barg.
While '72 was a lean year with only one factory-backed racing team (AMC), the good news for first-gen
Camaro lovers is there were still a lot of these cars competing in Trans-Am at this time. This is the last
year for the 305 cubic inch limit and the classic Trans-Am as we knew it.

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »

Lime Rock was the first race of the 1972 Trans-Am season. CP&A coverage provided by Robert Barg.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Lime Rock Trans-Am coverage as found in the May 10, 1972 issue of National Speed Sport News, courtesy of Chad Raynal (OCTARD).

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:03:02 PM by Jon Mello » Logged

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »

Bryar was the second race of the 1972 Trans-Am season. This was the debut of Milt Minter in a Herb Adams
Firebird and he did well, finishing second to Follmer's Javelin. Coverage below is courtesy of Robert Barg.

Jon Mello
CRG
OCTARD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »

This from a May 10, 1972, National Speed Sport News review of the above noted Lime Rock Trans-Am event.

This is an old scan, of just a picture of particular interest to me.  I'll scan the text of the full article when I get back in town.

oldtransamdriver

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »

"put a lap down by Dick Sterbin's camaro" ? - I don't think so.

Robert Barg
OCTARD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »

Busted even quicker than I thought.  Here is the "unaltered" image and caption from the May 10, 1972, National Speed Sport News:

Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »

Well Chad, now I know who to go to for photoshop work.  Grin

Mid-Ohio Trans-Am coverage as found in SCCA's Sports Car magazine. (Jon Mello Collection)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:55:54 PM by Jon Mello » Logged

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:58:49 AM »

Mid-Ohio was the third race of the 1972 Trans-Am season. I do not currently have a Competition Press & Autoweek
issue which covers that event but will add that in when I come across it.  In the meantime, I have included info from
my 1972 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am program as well as some other items which come courtesy of Robert Barg.  Milt Minter
won this race in his Firebird following up his strong initial showing at Bryar, which was just one week earlier.

[The items below are from Robert Barg]

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »

Watkins Glen was the fourth race in the 1972 Trans-Am season.  This was a return
to the winner's circle for Follmer's RWR Javelin. Coverage below courtesy of Robert Barg.

Program pages below from the Jon Mello Collection

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:51:28 PM by Jon Mello » Logged

Jon Mello
CRG
oldtransamdriver

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:51:04 AM »

After a decent 12th place finish at Bryar, it all started to go downhill.  At Mid-Ohio the throttle linkage broke and I was lucky to get back to the pits to have it repaired and was able to finish way down.  I should have been scrapping it out for 12th or thereabouts.

Watkins Glen - I remember about 10 minutes before the start of the race thinking "what am I doing here"?  It's about 100 degrees F, humid as hell, and the car is old and tired.  It must have been an omen as to what was going to happen - near the end of the race I pulled off the track with "engine problems" - a sad ending for an old warrior that had served us well.

That was the end of the line for our "low-budget" gang.  Al, the owner, was going to start a business.  We could all see the writing on the wall for the series - new rules etc. coming in for 73.

Years later I met a Corvette racer who said to me - "you lucky S.O.B - you got to run with the Big Dogs!".  I couldn't have said it any better.

Robert  Barg
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

I think there's a bunch of us who wish we were able to do the same thing, Robert (aka Lucky Dog).   Wink

We appreciate you being here and sharing your memories with us.

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 11:01:26 PM »

Donnybrooke was the fifth race of the 1972 Trans-Am season. I do not currently have a Competition Press & Autoweek
issue which covers this event but will add that in when I come across it. In the meantime, I have included a track map and
official SCCA results from the race.

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »

Road America was the sixth race of the 1972 Trans-Am season. I do not currently have a Competition Press & Autoweek
issue which covers that event but will add that in when I come across it.  In the meantime, I have included info from my 1972
Road America Trans-Am program as well as the results sheets which come courtesy of Robert Barg.  Warren Tope won this
race after George Follmer blew the engine in his RWR Javelin.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:21:38 PM by Jon Mello » Logged

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 01:15:55 AM »

Sanair was the seventh and final race of the 1972 Trans-Am season. The season ended far earlier than previous seasons
with Seattle, Riverside, Summit Point and Edmonton all canceling their race dates. The championship had been sewn up at
by George Follmer at Donnybrooke. A sad way to end things up after some pretty good years. Coverage below is courtesy
of Robert Barg.

Jon Mello
CRG
OCTARD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »

And the last page of the above '72 Lime Rock Trans-Am Event from the May 10, 1972, National Speed Sport News.

Pages: [1] 2  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: