Author Topic: Tie Rod ends and sleeves  (Read 8650 times)

randfr

• View Profile
Tie Rod ends and sleeves
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:35:27 PM »
I'm rebuilding the suspension for my 1967 RS.  I've tried to keep as many original parts (control arms, steering box, center link) but have had to buy replacements for some damaged items.

About the only thing that is left to redo or replace are the tie rod ends and sleeves.  Are the tie rods/sleeves re-buildable?  Is it worth the trouble?

I'd like it to look as original as possible, but not at the expense of safety as I hope to be driving the car on fair weather days.

thanks,
Robert

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tie Rod ends and sleeves
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
Are the tie rods/sleeves re-buildable?  Is it worth the trouble?

The tie rod ends aren't rebuildable. The adjusting sleeves are pretty much "forever" parts unless the threads are damaged or the sleeves are bent.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
The reproductions tie rod ends are pretty darn close.  I bought the CHQ's and re-used the original boot covers with GM PN from the original tie rod ends - looks about as OE as you can get without going NOS.  I also used the reproduction sleeves, but re-plated/re-used the original bolts/nuts to ensure correctness.   I left everything natural and used Boeshield to prevent rusting.

Here's some pics:

https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:49:58 PM »
Hans L,

I wanted to point out something I noticed in your photo of the installed tie rods.  I don't have my 68 AIM or 68 chassis service manual in front of me (I'm on the road traveling), and I realize that you have a 67 (requirements may be the same)...but, I believe that at least one of the tie rod sleeve clamps (inner or outer, not sure) on each side is supposed to have the open end facing up with 15 degrees of the vertical.  The other clamp on each side I believe has to have the open end aligned with the slit in the tie rod.  It's therefore possible to have both clamp open ends facing up (based on alignment needs), but at least one on each side needs to be facing up.
68 NOR SS/RS L48/M35 Convertible
Cordovan Maroon - Special Paint Exterior (black stripes)
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »
but, I believe that at least one of the tie rod sleeve clamps (inner or outer, not sure) on each side is supposed to have the open end facing up with 15 degrees of the vertical.  

Interesting.  Between the AIM and the Chassis Service Manual - I've been following it as best I can.  Didn't catch that one.  Per page 9-26 of the '69 Service Manual, in Fig 59 - Steering Linkage, it states:  "Inboard clamps - L & RH side; open end of clamp must be positioned within 15 deg either side of the tie rod sleeve slot (Position relative to ground unimportant).

Easy to correct.  Doing that now!  Appreciate you pointing it out.  

Question though - wonder why it matters?  Maybe to provide the tie rods some flex under load??

Hans

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
I think I recall either the 68 AIM or 68 chassis service manual stating it is for clearing a suspension part during turns...not sure, though, I'm not near my books. I also recall more text than what you quoted that discusses the position of other two clamps on the tie rods and the position of the sleeve opening.
Black Custom Interior
Silver Concours (Legends Class) at 2012 Camaro Nationals, Gold Concours at 2014 MCACN.

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:02 AM »
Yes, there is also reference to the outboard clamps in the same graphic "Outboard clamps - L & RH, side bolts must be positioned as shown (postion relative to slot unimportant)." 

Both the AIM and Chassis Service Manual state the same (for '69).

bowtie68iho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
Yes, it's that AIM graphic that shows the outboard clamps with openings facing up (actually, it shows both inboard and outboard facing up, but the text "must be positioned as shown" only applies to the outboard clamps.
Black Custom Interior

randfr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:27:13 PM »
i'm away from the car, but now you guys have got me wondering.  i went ahead and got all new parts and i think my sleeve clamps are in the same positions as Hans L's last photo.  i remember studying the 1967 AIM illustration closely and making mine look the same as the illustration.  guess i took the plus of minus 15 degrees to be referencing horizontal.

i need to stop obsessing and get the car done!

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 03:52:24 PM »
I corrected the sleeve ends per the AIM directions.  Took all of about 2 minutes. 

With that, been noticing many on eBay and other pics I have from other cars that are not correct!   Easy one to miss.

L22K19

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
Hans, Looks like you have gone to a lot of trouble to get things 100% correct and it looks fantastic. I can't help but noticing the zinc plated nuts that you have with the tie rod ends and the lower control arm bolts. On my two 67 cars and the pile of spares I have, (68 & 69) all of the nuts appear to be grey phosphate. Is there a difference through the years?

anything