Author Topic: Did console gauge cars also have a low oil pressure switch?  (Read 28069 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Did console gauge cars also have a low oil pressure switch?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 02:48:19 AM »
Hi Brian K. here, I took a quick measurement of the firewall to engine block line and it's about 7 inches long. I dont have access to my inside line but the Chevrolet service bullentin says that dealers are to take off the junction, drill the hole bigger (1/2 inch in size) use the line thats inside the car to go to the block (it supposed to be long enough) and add the rubber grommet part number 3906193. Remember this is for people bringing their cars back to the dealer with oil leaks, that how GM told the dealer to fix it. The bullentin says effective June 5, 1967 the 2 piece design will be replaced to this one piece set up in production cars. My 11E build 67 RSSS has this set up owned since 1988, my original lines are white translucet in color. The current repops are black, I've found a good replacement from Auto Meter part number 990023 which looks and functions like original. Glad to help, I'm using my dads account here sorry for any confusion. Sincerely Brian Kotula
Bob
The bulletin may have listed June 5th but that is likely for the cars with the brass fitting installed before the redesign mentioned as 3/10/67 in the AM. I would suspect after that date the oil line was a single unit and used a grommet and the service bulletin released afterwards when failures started to show in the field. The AM drawing release date showing only the grommet was 4-15-67. So I would say Bob that your 5E likely came with the oil line and grommet. What size is the hole in your firewall? That should give an idea of what you should be using.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
Mike,
That is why I am questioning the 6-5-67 date because I have a .320+or - hole in my firewall 5E and your 5B has a grommet .500+or-.
Bob

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 01:55:16 AM »
Hi Bob,

Now that is interesting in that it looks like the brass fitting was still used despite the design change around March 67 and the drawing date in April showing the grommet and your May car has the smaller hole indicating brass.
   I guess at this stage it would be good to see others chime in if their oil gauge uses a grommet or the firewall brass junction.
Lets start a separate thread to solicit input!?  ???
Mike

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
Mike,
One thing to remember is that AIM revision dates do not correspond to line change. John Z I believe, stated that line change could have taken effect several months before or after an AIM revision.
The service bulletin states that June 5 would be the cut-off date for the 2 piece fitting on the production line, but I am not sure how that would have played out.
Could be that test runs where mad before cut-off for drilling the 1/2'' hole and installing the grommet as this was part of an RPO and not a Fisher Line piercing.
Maybe John Z could comment on the time frame?  ;D
Bob

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »

Maybe John Z could comment on the time frame?  ;D

The revision date in the AIM is the date when Engineering Graphics released the new sheet; the actual implementation date on the line was managed through the NPC (Notice of Production Change) system, and very few closed-out NPC's (with implementation dates and VINs) have ever been published. The best indicator is observation of known-original cars.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
Bob,

In regards to Brian K's comment earlier ".......My 11E build 67 RSSS has this set up owned since 1988, ....."   which setup is he referring to...brass of grommet?
Which plant was your Camaro made? I wonder now if mine had the retro done afterwards by the dealer.  ???

I feel like the German peeking from behind the branches (Arte Johnson) from Rowan & Martins ...."veddy interesting"  :D

Mike

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
Mike,
Interesting point but why didn't my NOR 05E ( I bought in 5-15-70 from King Car rental) have it done at the dealer. As a dealer modification I am not sure if the mod. ( no recall) was done on all new product or only if the customer complained of an oil leak.
When car rental agencies buy new cars do they physically go through a dealership?
Bob

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
Here are a few pics from an 03B Norwood car.
Jon Mello
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 06:23:16 PM »
Mike,
Interesting point but why didn't my NOR 05E ( I bought in 5-15-70 from King Car rental) have it done at the dealer. As a dealer modification I am not sure if the mod. ( no recall) was done on all new product or only if the customer complained of an oil leak.
When car rental agencies buy new cars do they physically go through a dealership?
Bob

Not sure what the rental cars went through back then. In 1967 I was in 6th grade! I'm thinking now that the previous owner had a leak so the mod was performed. That's the only thing that sounds logical at this point. I'd sure like to see more input to this from owners of 67's with the gauge option.

Mike

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
 Sorry, not on topic but, I was in 5th grade in '68 and the secretary for the grade school bought a brand new 68 Camaro.  I watched that thing over the years and her daughter still has it.
68Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
More info on the AIM and dates: http://www.camaros.org/AIM.shtml

Rental cars were prepped thru dealerships back then. I don't know when that changed, but I've seen ledgers of dealerships selling their cars to Hertz.
Kurt S
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »
 Thanks Kurt…Interesting reading!
So, one certainty with mass production is uncertainty.  ::)
Would it be safe to assume then that in this case of when the brass fitting was discontinued in place of the grommet, that there would not be an overlap of use or would an overlap be possible to empty inventory? Bobs 5E car has the brass and my earlier 5B has the grommet. It’s sounding more like my car had the dealer mod done at some unknown point in time.

Mike

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:19:03 AM »
Normally, a change would be implemented. Inventory of some fittings is negligle.
Kurt S
CRG

67rs/ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 09:40:52 PM »
In both 67 norwood cars I have the brass fitting in both  03B 350/295 auto, 03C 396/325 auto.
In the 2 Los cars: 02C 396/325 auto rubber grommet, 05C 396/375 4 spd rubber grommet.
The pics below are of the norwood 03B nor 350/295 auto. Looks just like the one in the 03C 396/325 auto.
The pic with the rubber grommet is from the Los 02C 396/325 auto.
The 05C 396/375 4 spd Los car was missing the rubber grommet.
67 rs/ss L48 w/headrest org.37k
67 rs/ss L35 w/headrest project
67 rs/ss L35 w/smog org 78k
67 rs/ss L78 O-O -L201C
68 rs/vert L89

LVN 67

• John 67 NOR 02E L-35/T400, 6th Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 12:54:28 AM »
My Norwood 02E L-35 auto has the brass fitting.

anything