Author Topic: Your worst 1st generation Camaro fears - realized  (Read 34187 times)

CamaroMaster

• View Profile
Re: Your worst 1st generation Camaro fears - realized
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 08:31:39 PM »
The short of it is there is nothing wrong with any of this until you get caught and you will get caught. The laws differ in different states. In some states is is totally legal to remove and reattach to the same vehicle the VIN tag for purposes of restoration. IN no state is it legal to remove a VIN and place it on a (vehicle) assembled sheet metal that never was part of the original factory build. Now that being said as my time spent working in a body shop on vehicles that sustained damage in the area of the VIN it was in the state of Florida 100% legal for us to remove the VIN an REattach it to new parts. In my opinion if you have a rotted out first gen with a title in your name there should be some legal parameters to follow that allow you to sacrafice the old cancer body for the rebody. I wouldn't object to a new issued title marked with "Restoration 2006" or More than75% aftermarket parts or something similar so no one could try and sell it as original sheet metal in ten or twenty years if that import crap would still be around after that long. Just my two cents!!!
68 RS
72 Chevelle
05 Z06
93 Mustang GT
67 F100
89 Toyota 4x4 p/u w 302

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 04:25:51 AM »
Wandering around the "Big Boys Toy Store" at Hot August Nights in Reno Wednesday afternoon led me to stumble upon the reval of the '67 Dynacorn SS/RS Camaro that is currently being shown and put together on the tv show Chop, Cut, Rebuild on the Speed Channel.  CCR crew, including the host "Dan" were all there to film an episode for CCR that will air on 4 October.  That episode is the revealing of the car at Hot August Nights this year.

The car finished out white, with blue bumble bee stripe on the front end.  It is badged SS/502.  Firewall has been smoothed and no cowl tag has been installed.  Doors were closed, so I couldn't see the driver's side A pillar to see if there was a VIN tag.  Interior is finished out in white and blue.  4 speed tranny.  Trunk is carrying the bulk of the stereo equipment in addition to a flat screen tv.

Spoke to one of the head honchos there from Dynacorn and he made no bones about how he felt it was ok to "rebody" a car.  I told him flat out that in my opinion, transferring a VIN from an original Camaro to this Taiwanese clone would be unethical.  He tried to offer a lame excuse about how this is just an extension of the restoration process..... BS.

Didn't have my camera with me yesterday.  I spent my time today at a different venue - the swap meet.  Will be back Friday and Saturday and will get some pics, assuming that they will let me take pics.

More later......
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 05:42:17 AM »
........Spoke to one of the head honchos there from Dynacorn and he made no bones about how he felt it was ok to "rebody" a car. I told him flat out that in my opinion, transferring a VIN from an original Camaro to this Taiwanese clone would be unethical. He tried to offer a lame excuse about how this is just an extension of the restoration process..... BS.

Let's see --- A dynacorn management team member positioning the "OK to rebody" argument.  That's a stretch - huh? ::)

It's just all about --->

I'm somewhat surprised the CCR team's '67 didn't have the trim tag installed.  Their posturing on the episode I saw seemed
to indicate that it was OK to swap cowl & VIN tags.  I wonder if they got beat-up for that comment.        

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 06:07:12 AM »
Got some pics today of the CCR / Dynacorn clone of, as they refer to it, the '67 Camaro Pace Car.

First of all, no cowl tag, no VIN on the A pillar.  I checked the dash to see if something might have been placed there - no VIN visible.

So, at this time, this car may just be a show / trade show display toy.  And make no mistake, it is a very nice ride.  And as long as it is promoted as being a replica, no problem.  As with all of the Cobra kit cars, if you want to build a replica (kit) Camaro car, go for it - and make sure you call it and register it for what it is.

However, what has to be of concern to all of us is that, in the final analysis, no one (probably) is going to repeat what was done here.  There isn't an original part on this car - totally constructed via the aftermarket - to make the point that it could be done.  What we have to be aware of is that Dynacorn will / is selling these repro bodies to replace (or rebody) an existing sub frame / rear assembly and calling it a restoration of an original vehicle.

BS (in my humble opinion).

In any event, the next few posts are the highlights.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:29:23 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 06:09:12 AM »
Pic 2
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 06:11:02 AM »
Pic 3
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 06:12:44 AM »
Pic 4
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 06:14:44 AM »
Pic 5
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 06:17:32 AM »
Pic 6 - Didn't know 502 BB was a '67 option.  As the pictures show, except for the blue/white colors, doesn't really much resemble a '67 Pace Car.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:25:06 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006, 06:19:54 AM »
Pic 7 - No VIN on the A door pillar / jamb.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006, 06:22:24 AM »
Pic 8 - Smoothed Firewall - No Cowl Tag.  For reference, all of the pics were taken 5 August 2006 in Reno, NV
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

hair

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 12:00:27 AM »
my first time e-mailing in , what iam hearing from alot of people writing in here is that your using like good mark panels and stuff , just did an every nut and bolt on my 69 rs/ss x22 camaro and found the most enjoyment besides know what i have was lookin at swaps and every where else to find GM parts to replace everything i needed , i tryed a good mark rad, surport and found out it sucked tryin to line everything up so i looked and found a GM one , this rebody stuff is just a bunch of crap , , kindda like buying a new harley , everybody can have one but they dont have class like a real harley does , where is this rebody , replacin tags , rippin people off crap going to stop , i like the ideal of lookin at my car and knowing that sometime in 69  a bunch of americans set out to build one of the nicest looking cars ever build and iam sure they took pride in there work , id like too hear a few workers who build these cars in 69 would have to say about this new body crap, i  for one would hate to bay a camaro at this time being scared as hell about being lied too or ripped off in one way on another , just my thoughts may not make much sice but does to me           great site here

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 12:31:15 PM »
Hair - welcome to the CRG!

'69 RS/SS - tell us more about it.  Big block or small block?  Details........

Your comments are sort of the reason I started this thread in the first place.  I understand that when finished, the '67 Pace Car featured didn't have the cowl or VIN tags
installed.  Probably a smart move on CCR's part.  However, they did indicate on the show that you could install "original" cowl & VIN tags from an original Camaro with no problem.   ::)

Now I think I know the reason for the movement to re-pop cowl tags.  re-pop'd cowl tags for a re-pop'd car ::) ::) ::)

Steve
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 11:22:19 PM by nuch_ss396 »
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

DanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »
Nuch...where are you in NC?

DeanZ10